New Coach Search Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,659

Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#21 » by yosemiteben » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:02 pm

Feels really hard to judge young coaching candidates so I'm just down with whoever.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#22 » by MPM » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:20 pm

Yeah know nothing about Lee or Quinn but taking the ABC approach (anyone but clifford) so gimme anyone younger, aggressive, and smart.
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2,941

Post#23 » by EmpireFalls » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:28 pm

No one really knows obviously. However Lee and Quinn come from the Bud/Spo coaching tree and seemed to be the right hand man to the coaches on NBA/ECF Finalist teams that outperformed their talent.

I also think Jordy Fernandez is an interesting name given his experience with Team Canada.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#24 » by Bassman » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:57 pm

Bravo to hearing this news. Clifford will be an advisor…means little other than some salary cushion for him as he winds into the sunset.

So Charles Lee is from the Bud tree…could be good. But why not just hire Bud and get Charles to join him as “vice admiral assistant coach future head coach” or something? Maybe Bud is still thought to be a bit too abrasive for a young squad, but I think he’d be a serious and proven hire for this team.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,155

Post#25 » by JDR720 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:04 pm

But, that’s off-the-court stuff, what does Lee do on the court that makes him so special? It comes down to two main things: in-game tactician work and perimeter player development.

Starting with the latter, Lee deserves a ton of credit for helping develop multiple perimeter players in Milwaukee. He has publicly received credit from both Khris Middleton and Grayson Allen for his work with them and is well-known around the NBA for his engaging and creative workouts. This could go a long way toward helping guys like Payton Pritchard, Sam Hauser, and Jordan Walsh take the next step as wing and perimeter players. In-game, his tactician work is what has started getting him interviews for major head coaching jobs, including the Celtics back in 2021. He’ll bring an experienced eye to Mazzulla’s bench and might have a few tricks up his sleeve to help Boston get over the hump.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2023/10/12/23906207/championship-dna-what-sam-cassell-and-charles-lee-bring-to-the-celtics
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,155

Post#26 » by JDR720 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:05 pm

Bassman wrote:Bravo to hearing this news. Clifford will be an advisor…means little other than some salary cushion for him as he winds into the sunset.

So Charles Lee is from the Bud tree…could be good. But why not just hire Bud and get Charles to join him as “vice admiral assistant coach future head coach” or something? Maybe Bud is still thought to be a bit too abrasive for a young squad, but I think he’d be a serious and proven hire for this team.

Read on Twitter

Bud isn't even in the running. He's waiting for a contender job to open.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#27 » by Braggins » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:08 pm

I like the names I'm seeing.
Read on Twitter
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Post#28 » by Walt Cronkite » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:59 pm

Braggins wrote:They'll hire Clifford as GM and then halfway through next season he'll fire the coach and hire himself as coach again. Clifford always has been and always will be the coach of the Charlotte Hornets.

Like the caretaker of the Overlook Hotel.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,629

Post#29 » by fatlever » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:07 pm

Lee makes too much sense for this franchise at this time.
Quinn also would be good to bring that heat culture here

bud was never realistic. he will wait for a contender.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#30 » by HornetJail » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:11 pm

fatlever wrote:Let it also be said that we gave Paul Silas an advisory Consulting role after we moved on from him and all that meant was he sat with his wife a few rows up From the Bench to watch games. I'm not sure he ever had an ounce of input after that. So who knows what these roles for Mitch and Clifford actually mean in reality.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

this might still be too big a role for Cliff and Mitch
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#31 » by Robot Rock » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:44 pm

James Borrego -250
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#32 » by Chapelchilla » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:46 pm

HornetJail wrote:
fatlever wrote:Let it also be said that we gave Paul Silas an advisory Consulting role after we moved on from him and all that meant was he sat with his wife a few rows up From the Bench to watch games. I'm not sure he ever had an ounce of input after that. So who knows what these roles for Mitch and Clifford actually mean in reality.

Mitch has generally made good picks in a tough environment.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#33 » by HornetJail » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:06 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:
HornetJail wrote:

he drafted fine but also received two absolute gifts in the draft lottery, in hindsight. imagine us staying at our expected draft positions and winding up with say, Killian Hayes and a Thompson twin :lol:

but even with the draft hits, he straight up punted every other decision he ever had to make. If he's got any input apart from draft scouting, it will suuuuck
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#34 » by GoBobs » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:06 pm

Give me Dan Hurley

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#35 » by GoBobs » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:08 pm

HornetJail wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:
HornetJail wrote:this might still be too big a role for Cliff and Mitch

he drafted fine but also received two absolute gifts in the draft lottery, in hindsight. imagine us staying at our expected draft positions and winding up with say, Killian Hayes and a Thompson twin :lol:

but even with the draft hits, he straight up punted every other decision he ever had to make. If he's got any input apart from draft scouting, it will suuuuck

Mitch sucked. He drafted Bouknight over Sengun and then traded a future first for Kai Jones. He also traded a lottery pick for multiple 2nd rounders.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,165

Post#36 » by JMAC3 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:24 pm

Feels like the 4th coaching thread we have had in the last 6 months.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,173

Post#37 » by SWedd523 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:18 pm

Quinn was my favorite last time and is my favorite now.

I'm okay with Lee and seem to remember his name from the previous cycle.

LOL at Atkinson being on the betting list

I hope that guy gets a flat tire on the way home. When he gets out of the car I hope his shirt gets stuck in the door and it jerks him back in an embarrassing fashion.

Then I hope one of the billion san fran hobos steals one of his lug nuts whilst he's changing the tire and the spare is just flat enough to be annoying for the rest of the drive home.

When he gets home, I hope he can't find the right key and then steps on a Lego as soon as he takes his shoes off. As he's hopping around, he then stubs a toe on a door frame.

And then when he goes to bed, I hope he gets a case of hiccups that just won't go away and that Friday song by Rebecca Black gets stuck in his head
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,241

Post#38 » by amcoolio » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:42 pm

I'm good with Lee or Quinn. Bud assistants have been not so great lately, but I do think a strong young black coach would be a good motivator for LaMelo and Bridges. Hard to judge Ham with the Lakers because of LeGM
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#39 » by Rich4114 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:29 pm

GoBobs wrote:
HornetJail wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:

Mitch sucked. He drafted Bouknight over Sengun and then traded a future first for Kai Jones. He also traded a lottery pick for multiple 2nd rounders.

Agreed. He botched that 21 and 22 drafts in ways that set us back multiple seasons. I was on team Sengun especially since we had no center but Mitch fell in love with Kai Jones and then took Bouk since he dropped according to mocks at the time. He could've gotten a pass if he didn't trade Duren for a bag of chips "because we had too many young players". The cherry on top was drafting SGA when we needed a Kemba successor lol. Which given Miles (pre felony charge), it wouldn't be as devastating but the gap between those two players now is massive.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#40 » by Rich4114 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:34 pm

amcoolio wrote:I'm good with Lee or Quinn. Bud assistants have been not so great lately, but I do think a strong young black coach would be a good motivator for LaMelo and Bridges. Hard to judge Ham with the Lakers because of LeGM

Hard pass on Ham or Griffon, even though they could be good we can't risk that.

The Terry Stotts thing is weird to me. He has always been on this teams radar for some reason but never choice A or B.

I get Bud might be waiting for a contender spot to open (I guess Dallas?) but I have no doubt we could hire him if we really wanted to with enough money and control. He should be choice A, B and C tbh.

But if it won't be him, then Quinn would be my top choice of the unproven assistants. Lee sounds intriguing as does Fernandez.

But we're the Hornets, so it'll be James Borrego and we shall be stuck in an infinite loop.

Return to Charlotte Hornets