Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#62 » by LofJ » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:04 am

Read on Twitter
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#63 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:11 am

Part of me wants a female HC just to see how it would work out. Maybe we strike gold and get the next great HC.

Another part of me thinks this is just good PR for the Hornets to interview a female HC. Would they really be the first NBA franchise to hire a female HC?
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#64 » by LofJ » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:08 pm

Larranaga was the other finalist when we ended up hiring Borrego.

Read on Twitter
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,241

Post#65 » by amcoolio » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 am

There's rumors about that the Hornets floated the Lindsey Harding interview to gauge reception because they are seriously interested in Dawn Staley

Staley hasn't coached on the NBA level I don't think but she is one hell of a leader and would command respect. She'd need an excellent staff around her and wouldn't come cheap I don't think
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,659

Post#66 » by yosemiteben » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:07 am

I couldn't be less interested in a college coach that has zero NBA experience
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,173

Post#67 » by SWedd523 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:56 am

The Franchise hasn't had a good coach in the 20 years of Bobnets existence and are very much at the inflection point with the current roster.

If they don't nail this next hire and continue to wallow for the next 3-5 years, I see them tearing things back down and starting over once again.

Now isn't the time to try to be cute and make splashes with names or stories or identity politics or whatever.

I'm a Carolina alum and think Dawn is the best WBB coach in the country right now, but there's no way you can convince me that someone who has no experience in the Men's game at all is the best candidate for an NBA job.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,155

Post#68 » by JDR720 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:46 pm

I don't know why Staley would take this job if anything.

She's got it made in SC.
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 675

Post#69 » by vorbis » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:33 pm

Staley would be an awesome hire. she's got grit and Charlotte connections galore. a real culture hire. I remember watching her play with the Sting back in the day. like others have said, she's got a sweet deal in Columbia, and she has talked before about being wary of looking like a courtesy interview. if they really want her, they better come correct.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#70 » by GoBobs » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:48 pm

I think there are some situations where a female coach could do well in the NBA. It would be with a team of mature players where the best player was very respectful and empowered the coach. Think Tim Duncan and a vet spurs team.

Our guys are to immature to handle it. Somebody would do some dumb ****.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by GoBobs » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:53 pm

Part of the role of a coach is to be a mentor, especially when you have a very young team. It is easier for a man to mentor a man, because a man has more of an understanding of what a man is going through.

A lot of the way we feel is linked to the hormones in our body. If you take some testosterone it will make you feel a certain way. If you take estrogen it will make you feel a different way.

So while I think a female coach would work provided the coach was very good. I have a hard time seeing it work for us just due to the makeup of our team and having so many young guys.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#72 » by Snidely FC » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 pm

I hope this tangential coaching conjecture isn't a sign that the legit top NBA assistants don't want the job
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,659

Post#73 » by yosemiteben » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:18 pm

I would be thrilled to have a female coach, I think there are institutional biases at play that have kept exceptional candidates out and I see that as a great opportunity to get a top tier coach.

I just don't want someone who has never been on a staff of a professional team. No thank you.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#74 » by JDR720 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:23 pm

GoBobs wrote:Part of the role of a coach is to be a mentor, especially when you have a very young team. It is easier for a man to mentor a man, because a man has more of an understanding of what a man is going through.

A lot of the way we feel is linked to the hormones in our body. If you take some testosterone it will make you feel a certain way. If you take estrogen it will make you feel a different way.

So while I think a female coach would work provided the coach was very good. I have a hard time seeing it work for us just due to the makeup of our team and having so many young guys.

By that same logic, male coaches shouldn't coach female teams either.

Anyways, I don't have any issue with hiring a female HC.

But being a college coach without any pro experience is risky.

And let's be honest, whoever the first NBA team is to hire a female HC will have a ton of media attention. I don't think that'd be good for us, we aren't an established or mature enough team to handle that. Especially if it doesn't work out.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#75 » by LofJ » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:50 pm

I imagine they're trying to finish up the initial round of interviews and narrow the candidate pool down to 2 or 3. I expect by the end of next week we'll start hearing about follow up interviews.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#76 » by GoBobs » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:51 pm

JDR720 wrote:
GoBobs wrote:Part of the role of a coach is to be a mentor, especially when you have a very young team. It is easier for a man to mentor a man, because a man has more of an understanding of what a man is going through.

By that same logic, male coaches shouldn't coach female teams either.

Anyways, I don't have any issue with hiring a female HC.

But being a college coach without any pro experience is risky.

And let's be honest, whoever the first NBA team is to hire a female HC will have a ton of media attention. I don't think that'd be good for us, we aren't an established or mature enough team to handle that. Especially if it doesn't work out.

Being the Hornets coach is also a very hard job. You have to get up on the podium and explain losing most nights.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#77 » by MugzZo » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:05 pm

Hiring a woman coach just because is not the way. Someone said hiring a black coach so Melo and others would respond or something to them. To hell with identity political hires. Get the right person. It dint have to be a white guy or a white woman. It has to be a qualified candidate. Stop with the DEI nonsense.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,629

Post#78 » by fatlever » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:52 pm

The track record of hiring well-known college coaches with zero NBA experience, in my memory, has not gone well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,629

Post#79 » by fatlever » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:04 pm

I added a melo Twitter Stan account to my Hornets Twitter list that I made. I'll be in the know from now on. No one has still yet solved the mystery of where the f*** lamelo hangs out during our home games though

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#80 » by JDR720 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:06 pm

He's probably out looking for a new coach. Maybe one that wears a big $ sign chain necklace.

Return to Charlotte Hornets