ImageImage

New Coach Search Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,064

Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#121 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

High risk high reward. Dudes basketball IQ and mind is off the charts.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,881

Post#122 » by Diop » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:37 am

SWedd523 wrote:Discord format is booty

Is that good or bad?
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,833

Post#123 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:40 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:High risk high reward. Dudes basketball IQ and mind is off the charts.

I honestly feel he could be the next great HC. Something about his basketball IQ tells me it would be hard for him to fail as a HC. Could be the next Steve Kerr.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,514

Post#124 » by GoBobs » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:22 am

Would rather have someone that is a proven winner. Bud from the NBA (probably doesn't want the job). Give me Nate Oates from Alabama (makes more at Alabama then Clifford made last year).

Reddick is not that likeable. I doubt he could lead a group of people effectively. He has no experience. I would rather have Steve Nash (probably can't afford him either) or Marc Jackson.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,661

Post#125 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:44 am

LofJ wrote:I like Redick a lot and I think he could become a pretty good coach (eventually), but we should NOT hire him to be the head coach when he has zero experience.

This is how I feel

Has there ever been a good NBA head coach who had zero coaching experience at any level?

I view this more as giving him a chance to work on his interview skills, but maybe I'm wrong.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,265

Post#126 » by JDR720 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:47 am

Didn't Willie Green go straight from playing to coaching?

But I don't want Redick for another reason, I highly doubt our immature team would listen to him. He seems more likely to be friends with them than to hold guys like Melo accountable.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,174

Post#127 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:25 am

yosemiteben wrote:
LofJ wrote:I like Redick a lot and I think he could become a pretty good coach (eventually), but we should NOT hire him to be the head coach when he has zero experience.

This is how I feel

Has there ever been a good NBA head coach who had zero coaching experience at any level?

I view this more as giving him a chance to work on his interview skills, but maybe I'm wrong.

Steve Kerr was never an assistant coach before taking over Warriors. He worked in the media after his playing career, seems like it worked out alright.

Idk if Redick is my beat the drum, #1 candidate but the more I think about it I don't hate at least listening to him.

Coached by Stan Van Gundy, Doc Rivers, Rick Carlisle, Alvin Gentry, Coach K... if an assistant coach had history with all those guys we would be eating that up. Redick has done the most with the least for a career, has playoff experience as a player, has been successful in everything he has tried (playing, tv, podcast, etc). If he put together a real good staff of assistant coaches are we really freaking out about him not sitting on the end of the bench for a few years?

Again, not saying he is my #1 candidate, but I wouldn't be shocked if he just rocked out as a coach in a decade. Maybe its not the right time or right team, but can you say you would be shocked?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,251

Post#128 » by amcoolio » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:35 am

JDR720 wrote:Didn't Willie Green go straight from playing to coaching?

But I don't want Redick for another reason, I highly doubt our immature team would listen to him. He seems more likely to be friends with them than to hold guys like Melo accountable.

Redick is world class **** talker. I think it would be like Bird's stint coaching the Pacers in the 90's. He would eat LaMelo's ass.

Honestly if it ain't Bud then Redick is as qualified as the rest of the bunch.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#129 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 am

amcoolio wrote:

He would eat LaMelo's ass.

:o :o :o
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#130 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:48 am

Jason Kidd also was never a coach before leading Nets to 44-38 including advancing to 2nd round of playoffs.
Next season he moved to Milwaukee and they jumped from 15 wins to 41 wins, he finished 3rd in coach of the year awards.
Big Board
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#131 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:53 am

Redick brings relevancy. This is probably the biggest name we can bring to Charlotte. We haven't had a good HC in forever so it's not like we taking a huge gamble. If he sucks oh well we move on. But if we strike gold then this could totally change the franchise around. Redick is well respected around the league.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#132 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:03 am

I don't really care about JJ relevancy in terms of coverage. I think if he was going to go into coaching this young, it would have to be a young team tho because idk if him coaching a guy he played with would be ideal.

JJ clearly understands NBA offenses, clearly understands NBA defensive schemes. He is smart, good communicator, well connected, respected. Are we worried he just wouldn't take it seriously? because based on his podcast success and tv success I don't think thats a concern for me.

Feels like he would be great with media.
Big Board
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#133 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:09 am

Relevancy comes with JJ like it or not.

This will be a topic tomorrow on sports debate shows.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#134 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:12 am

JJ interviewed for Raptors job last year. They decided against it and went the conventual coaching route and hired former assistant Rajakovic and they went 25-57 this year.
Big Board
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#135 » by SWedd523 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 am

amcoolio wrote:He would eat LaMelo's ass.

Now you just wait a minute
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,265

Post#136 » by JDR720 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 am

JMAC3 wrote:Jason Kidd also was never a coach before leading Nets to 44-38 including advancing to 2nd round of playoffs.
Next season he moved to Milwaukee and they jumped from 15 wins to 41 wins, he finished 3rd in coach of the year awards.

I don't know that anyone, as of now, considers Kidd a good coach.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,251

Post#137 » by amcoolio » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:32 am

JDR720 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Jason Kidd also was never a coach before leading Nets to 44-38 including advancing to 2nd round of playoffs.

Probably not but again its way better than what we have been doing

We're the Hornets lol
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#138 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:40 am

JDR720 wrote:

Here are the coaches I found that went from being a player to HC without experience lately.
Kidd, Nash, Kerr.. all were pretty successful right from the start.
So the narrative that Redick would be bad just because isn't really holding a lot of water for me.

Not saying he will be great because of it, but clearly for him to even be getting interviews despite no coaching experience shows how much teams respect him.
Big Board
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,514

Post#139 » by GoBobs » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:41 am

amcoolio wrote:
JDR720 wrote:

Probably not but again its way better than what we have been doing

We're the Hornets lol

Yeah well, when you agree to hire a guy and then he backs out so you retread a guy you fired a while back... no where to go but up really
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,881

Post#140 » by Diop » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:41 am

amcoolio wrote:

Redick is world class **** talker. I think it would be like Bird's stint coaching the Pacers in the 90's. He would eat LaMelo's ass.

Honestly if it ain't Bud then Redick is as qualified as the rest of the bunch.

Again, is this good or bad??

i must be getting old

Return to Charlotte Hornets