Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,187

Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#141 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:46 am

JMAC3 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Jason Kidd also was never a coach before leading Nets to 44-38 including advancing to 2nd round of playoffs.
Next season he moved to Milwaukee and they jumped from 15 wins to 41 wins, he finished 3rd in coach of the year awards.

I don't know that anyone, as of now, considers Kidd a good coach.

Here are the coaches I found that went from being a player to HC without experience lately.
Kidd, Nash, Kerr.. all were pretty successful right from the start.
So the narrative that Redick would be bad just because isn't really holding a lot of water for me.

Not saying he will be great because of it, but clearly for him to even be getting interviews despite no coaching experience shows how much teams respect him.

Compared to the majority of head coaches that come through the assistant pipeline. The hit percentage on new coaches is less than 50% when you look at the average teams coaching turnover. So it is not like the traditional route is some tried and true process that is going to guarantee results.

Clifford, Borrego came as highly regarded assistants just as Fernandez, Lee, Ott or Adelman would be.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,064

Post#142 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:50 am

JDR720 wrote:Didn't Willie Green go straight from playing to coaching?

But I don't want Redick for another reason, I highly doubt our immature team would listen to him. He seems more likely to be friends with them than to hold guys like Melo accountable.

That's a weak take. Just because he was an ex player that has recently played doesn't mean he'd be friends with them. I also don't think our team is that immature after the trade deadline.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,287

Post#143 » by JDR720 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:50 am

JMAC3 wrote:[
Here are the coaches I found that went from being a player to HC without experience lately.
So the narrative that Redick would be bad just because isn't really holding a lot of water for me.

Not saying he will be great because of it, but clearly for him to even be getting interviews despite no coaching experience shows how much teams respect him.

Kidd had Giannis and the Pierce/KG Nets team. Kerr had Curry/Klay/Draymond and Nash had KD/Irving/Harden... and even then it was obvious he was out of his depth.

Then you have guys like Billups, who have basically the same profile as Redick, being awful in Portland.

With our team, I think it's far more likely Redick will end up like Billups.

All those coaches, besides Kerr (who was a GM/President of the Suns) have struggled with tactics and often get out coached, regardless of the talent level. That's why Nash got canned and Kidd has been fired a couple times too, despite typically having winning teams because of talent level.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 911

Post#144 » by MugzZo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 am

Please let jj be our next coach!!!

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 5,949

Post#145 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:18 am

MugzZo wrote:Please let jj be our next coach!!!

Amen brotha!
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 911

Post#146 » by MugzZo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:54 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Please let jj be our next coach!!!

Amen brotha!
Hes a respected basketball mind. Our players would respond to him. I could see him unlocking Melo Miller and Miles. He knows how the modern game is played and is a relatable coach because he's not old but also his resume speaks for itself. I will drive down to Charlotte from Pittsburgh a couple times this year if he's the coach. I want him like a fat kid wants cake!

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#147 » by Bassman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:42 pm

Fans are going to get excited for a NAME to be twiterpated over, and JJ apparently is that name, that personality, that registers a buzz. Maybe he would become a really good coach, but who knows? Maybe I’d become a really good airline pilot…heck I’ve flown on at least a hundred plus flights on many different aircraft, and once flew a Cessna for a while with the pilot next to me. So perhaps his experience playing and being a podcaster has him ready for the captain’s seat :-o .

Budenholzer would seemingly cover all the check marks for this team, but to date, we have no indication this new regime is considering him. Not smart IMO.

Just don’t decide to do Reddick because our junior G-Man thinks it’s cool.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,971

Post#148 » by KembaWalker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:43 pm

There’s a lot more to being an NBA head coach than talking about a Gortat screen on a podcast

Clifford and Dunlap would make great podcasters too
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#149 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:00 pm

If he crushes the interview we probably hire him on the spot. If a few days pass by I think they just did him a favor.

Hopefully we hire a HC pretty soon.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#150 » by LofJ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:06 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:If he crushes the interview we probably hire him on the spot. If a few days pass by I think they just did him a favor.

If you hire someone for an important job right on the spot because they interviewed well, despite them having zero experience, I would question your decision making ability.

You interview every decent candidate you can and then you make your decision after careful consideration and deliberation. How you felt about someone emotionally after you interviewed them is important for organizational culture considerations, but in no way should you hire someone for an important role solely for that reason.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#151 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:14 pm

LofJ wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:If he crushes the interview we probably hire him on the spot. If a few days pass by I think they just did him a favor.

If you hire someone for an important job right on the spot because they interviewed well, despite them having zero experience, I would highly question your decision making ability. You interview every decent candidate you can and then you make your decision after careful consideration and deliberation. How you felt about someone emotionally after you interviewed them is important for organizational culture considerations, but in no way should you hire someone for an important role solely for that reason.

It's happened before it will happen again. What you say in a interview matters experience or not. Some companies take chances. Most fail, but if you hit then you just hired the next Steve Kerr.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#152 » by Bassman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:23 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
LofJ wrote:

If you hire someone for an important job right on the spot because they interviewed well, despite them having zero experience, I would highly question your decision making ability. You interview every decent candidate you can and then you make your decision after careful consideration and deliberation. How you felt about someone emotionally after you interviewed them is important for organizational culture considerations, but in no way should you hire someone for an important role solely for that reason.

It's happened before it will happen again. What you say in a interview matters experience or not. Some companies take chances. Most fail, but if you hit then you just hired the next Steve Kerr.

We’ve taken too many swings at bad pitches already. Need to go get the most proven successful head coach out there right now (attention Bud, call for you on the teal phone…).
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#153 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:26 pm

Bassman wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
LofJ wrote:

We’ve taken too many swings at bad pitches already. Need to go get the most proven successful head coach out there right now (attention Bud, call for you on the teal phone…).
Bud is my #1 choice, but is it possible he doesn't have interest in this job?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,658

Post#154 » by fatlever » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:33 pm

Bud isn't coming here. Bud is waiting for the Lakers to get swept by the Nuggets so he can be the Lakers coach next year. Or waiting on Jason Kidd to get fired in dallas.. or Phoenix or Boston or the clippers.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,971

Post#155 » by KembaWalker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:39 pm

I don’t think Bud would come here even for a Monty godfather offer
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,662

Post#156 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:46 pm

My #1 choice continues to be Ty Lue, need LAC to fall apart against DAL for that to be even potentially viable.

I would be very happy with Bud as well, though I assume he's not interested or we would have heard about it.

After that, it's just whoever, with my only qualifications being no college coaches and no one with zero coaching experience.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,185

Post#157 » by SWedd523 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:58 pm

Bassman wrote:Budenholzer would seemingly cover all the check marks for this team, but to date, we have no indication this new regime is considering him. Not smart IMO.

Lack of hearing about it doesn't mean they never tried.

Can just as easily argue that they reached out to Bud and his folks said he's not into eating ass
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#158 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 pm

JDR720 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:[

Kidd had Giannis and the Pierce/KG Nets team. Kerr had Curry/Klay/Draymond and Nash had KD/Irving/Harden... and even then it was obvious he was out of his depth.

Then you have guys like Billups, who have basically the same profile as Redick, being awful in Portland.

With our team, I think it's far more likely Redick will end up like Billups.

All those coaches, besides Kerr (who was a GM/President of the Suns) have struggled with tactics and often get out coached, regardless of the talent level. That's why Nash got canned and Kidd has been fired a couple times too, despite typically having winning teams because of talent level.

Billups was an assistant coach for a year, but yes he hasn't worked out. Like sooooo many experienced coaches

If Redick was as successful as Kerr, Kidd or Nash I would easily take that. All have winning records as coaches.

It is wild that everyone acts like hiring an assistant coach is such a proven process.

Literally Redick interviewed for Raptors job last year, they decided too risky and hired the assistant with 10 yrs of experience and they went 25-57. #Results
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#159 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 pm

yosemiteben wrote:My #1 choice continues to be Ty Lue, need LAC to fall apart against DAL for that to be even potentially viable.

I would be very happy with Bud as well, though I assume he's not interested or we would have heard about it.

After that, it's just whoever, with my only qualifications being no college coaches and no one with zero coaching experience.

Ty Lue isn't getting fired and if he did I am sure he would have 5+ offers, but yes let me go coach the team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs.

Basically seems like most are working off a wish list of coaches that we haven't interviewed, good way to be disppointed when we ultimately hire one of the guys that has actually been reported.
Big Board
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#160 » by LofJ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:05 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
Bassman wrote:Budenholzer would seemingly cover all the check marks for this team, but to date, we have no indication this new regime is considering him. Not smart IMO.

Lack of hearing about it doesn't mean they never tried.

Can just as easily argue that they reached out to Bud and his folks said he's not into eating ass

:lol:

That said the only prayer we have of hiring Bud is if he likes Schnall from his Atlanta days, we pay him what he wants, we give him some authority over the roster, AND we give him an ownership stake. And that still might not be enough, but we'd have to offer all of that to have any chance of getting him to accept the job.

Return to Charlotte Hornets