New Coach Search Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,181

Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#181 » by JMAC3 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:34 pm

More coaches who were never assistants.

Kerr, Doc, Kidd, Nash, Vinny Del Negro, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Mark Jackson, Isiah Thomas... out of these 9 coaches 1 has a losing record as a HC.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,179

Post#182 » by Rich4114 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:37 pm

fatlever wrote:My Ranking of Hornets head coaches all time

1. Dave Cowens
2. Allen Bristow
3. Paul Silas part 1
4. Steve Clifford part 1
5. James Borrego
6. Bernie Bickerstaff
7. Steve Clifford part 2
8. Dick Harter
9. Mike Dunlap
10. Gene Littles
11. Sam Vincent
12. Paul Silas part 2
13. Kenny Atkinson
14. Larry Brown

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Larry Brown below Atkinson :lol: :lol: :lol:
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#183 » by JMAC3 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:08 pm

JMAC3 wrote:More coaches who were never assistants.

Kerr, Doc, Kidd, Nash, Vinny Del Negro, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Mark Jackson, Isiah Thomas... out of these 9 coaches 1 has a losing record as a HC.

Actually I think this is more impressive. If you add in Derek Fisher. That is the last 10 to do it, this list isn't cherry picked. So 80% of them have been winning coaches. There is no way that hiring an assistant coach has had that level of hit rate.

If we hire Redick, I will choose to believe he was the best candidate because basing it off some thought that coaches without experience have been bad seems to be a pretty big misnomer.
Big Board
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,939

Post#184 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Kind of weird ESPN hasn't mentioned this yet.

Is it possible we plan to hire him and they just waiting for news to break out of respect for JJ?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,662

Post#185 » by yosemiteben » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Kind of weird ESPN hasn't mentioned this yet.

Is it possible we plan to hire him and they just waiting for news to break out of respect for JJ?

That seems very unlikely, since I don't think Woj held off on rumors about Doc before they hired him.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#186 » by Bassman » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:25 pm

There is no perfect strategy for predicting the outcome of a coaching candidate. I don’t put a lot of stock into the previous results from those who had never coached as most of these were teams with a good deal of inherited talent. JJ has intellect and extensive playing experience, plus he’s been exposed to multiple coaches at the NBA level, so maybe it would all work out.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#188 » by Goodecharlotte » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 pm

So the off season will start off by unvailing JJ as our head coach, then we'll draft Bronny in rd 2 of the draft and then in free agency sign JJ's podcasting partner and Bronny's dad Lebron to league minimum just so he can play with his son :D

There you go my out there blue print for the off season. We might not be sure how it'll go, but we'll be in the spotlight.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,064

Post#189 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 pm

I have way, way too much bias regarding anything Redick to make a legit comment on him being our coach.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#190 » by JMAC3 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

JJ Redick is a 6-4 unathletic dude with 1 career dunk. In order to survive as long as he did in the league he clearly understands defensive schemes, where to be, etc... Our players should have no excuse for not executing if JJ was able to make it work.

JJ is going to have a really good group of assistant coaches with a lot of experience if he does get the job. It is strange how many people are acting like this is 1 man job and if he doesn't know everything day 1 we are doomed.

Charles Lee has worked with 2 HC in Bud and Mazzula and been around the NBA for 10 years. Redick has been around NBA for 15 years and been with more teams and more HC.

I am fine with either, but there are some adamant fans we are deciding between a coach the level of Popovich or Kwame Brown lol
Big Board
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,515

Post#191 » by GoBobs » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:11 am

I feel like if I was a player on the team I would be tired of listening to Reddick talk after like 8 games.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#192 » by Braggins » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:42 am

Offer Spoelstra a 5% ownership stake in the franchise to coach the Hornets.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 911

Post#193 » by MugzZo » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:34 am

You guys will love Reddick when he signs you just don't know it yet. Kind of like when half of us myself included thought Scoot was the guy.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,967

Post#194 » by KembaWalker » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:10 am

MugzZo wrote:You guys will love Reddick when he signs you just don't know it yet. Kind of like when half of us myself included thought Scoot was the guy.

JJ is basically the Scoot of coach prospects. No actually evidence of any talent for it but great personal brand

I had a lot more typed up but since RealGM on mobile likes to randomly refresh the page for ads I lost everything I typed again. What a horrible flaw for a discussion board
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,657

Post#195 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:18 pm

Get the ap

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#196 » by KembaWalker » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 pm

I don’t think it’s on iOS. I’ve tried tapatalk a long long time ago and it was pretty bad, maybe it’s less bad now
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#197 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm

Is there really a gamble with JJ?

People act like we had good coaches. We have been one of the worst ran franchises for pretty much the last 2 decades. We had Clifford so it's not like the bar is high.

JJ is something new. He brings excitement and attention to this franchise. Just say he turns out to be pretty good and leads us to the playoffs his 1st season. Can you imagine how much excitement Charlotte would have moving forward. All of a sudden we get Nat'l tv games we are talked about more Nat'l. We all know ESPN will look out for JJ with future TV games.

Melo/Miller are not some average players. Both of these dudes have superstar potential. You can argue Melo is already their he just has to stay healthy. We have talent, we just have to take a chance on something new. We literally have nothing to lose by hiring JJ.

Cmon Buzz City hop on the JJ bandwagon!
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#198 » by KembaWalker » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:05 pm

JJ is the definition of a gamble. It would be a tacit admission from our FO that despite claiming to be building a world class organization that their best chance to hit on a coach is a pure lootcrate hire instead of making an informed choice. Though with our history, maybe the lootcrate is more appealing
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#199 » by JMAC3 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
MugzZo wrote:You guys will love Reddick when he signs you just don't know it yet. Kind of like when half of us myself included thought Scoot was the guy.

JJ is basically the Scoot of coach prospects. No actually evidence of any talent for it but great personal brand

I had a lot more typed up but since RealGM on mobile likes to randomly refresh the page for ads I lost everything I typed again. What a horrible flaw for a discussion board

Really though? How many people even know what Charles Lee voice sounds like? How many could pick out David Adelman on the Nuggets bench? I am assuming the vast majority of fans researched each coach for less than a minute on wiki. Be honest if you had to write out an entire paragraph about Charles Lee off the top of the head could you?

At least with players there are stats, actual video of them playing, interviews etc... I feel a lot more comfortable flag planting a prospect then I do a coach I know very little about. Even JJ, I don't know how he would be as a coach but out of all the candidates I know the most about him, the way he thinks and how he is viewed by players.

I am not going to be dramatic either way because how can I be? I legit have no idea who would be best, but I think JJ is a solid candidate and should at least be considered. It is not like he is Rashad McCants level of former player/podcaster.
Big Board
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#200 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 pm

KembaWalker wrote:JJ is the definition of a gamble. It would be a tacit admission from our FO that despite claiming to be building a world class organization that their best chance to hit on a coach is a pure lootcrate hire instead of making an informed choice. Though with our history, maybe the lootcrate is more appealing

You're not tired of being a bottom feeder franchise?

I'm ready to be relevant again. JJ brings that. If he doesn't work at least we tried something new. Let's try something new for once. There is no gamble when we have always been at the bottom.

Why not try it maybe we strike gold.

Return to Charlotte Hornets