General Manager
And1: 10,922

Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#221 » by KembaWalker » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:43 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Steve Nash is 94-67 as a HC. Uhhh I would take that lol
Jason Kidd has coached 8 years, 6 of them as winning seasons. I would also take that.

Those are blunders? You know how many coaches last 2-3 years and never sniff being .500?

Are we really at the point where we’re willing to delude ourselves into arguments like this for a podcaster coach? Cmon man. Everyone knows those guys are trash

I think you probably need to recalibrate your expectations if those guys are trash.
Both would be the most winning coach in our history lol

So the answer to my question is yes, then
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,180

Post#222 » by JMAC3 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:48 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
Are we really at the point where we’re willing to delude ourselves into arguments like this for a podcaster coach? Cmon man. Everyone knows those guys are trash

I think you probably need to recalibrate your expectations if those guys are trash.
Both would be the most winning coach in our history lol

So the answer to my question is yes, then

Do you know who the best coach is we should hire? You are sure if we hire an assistant and Redick goes somewhere else we will have made the right call 90% of the time?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,424

Post#223 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Hard no from me on JJ.

Not saying it's impossible he'll be good, but I think he's much more of a gamble than other established assistant coaches. It's nice JJ had playing experience, and I'm sure he's smart (although he has some shockingly bad takes on his pod disrespecting players from past eras) but I'd rather go with an experienced hand.

The list of former coaches without experience is intriguing to be sure, but you also have to control for roster composition. Shaky coaches get dragged to success by top talent all the time. Our roster is simply not as good as the one Kerr, Jackson, Kidd, Nash, Thomas or Bird inherited. Didn't Doc also get T-Mac right off the bat? Del Negro's Clippers are probably the closest to us in talent. They had young Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe and Deandre Jordan plus a declining Baron Davis.

KembaWalker's point about JJ trashing us mercilessly after he flames out is also worth considering. JJ is about as much of a gossip as there is in NBA media and has a healthy ego. If he fails as our HC he will not blame himself, I expect he'll say Charlotte is a hopeless franchise and everyone should avoid it for the good of their career to pass the buck and salvage his reputation.

I just see questionable upside, a worrisome downside, and the previous track record of coaches without experience looks less sterling when comparing our talent to the rosters those examples inherited.

I don't really get trying to discount coaches because they had talent, all coaches need talent to win. Pop is a great coach right? Why isn't he winning? Was Phil Jackson actually not good because he had talent?

If JJ could do what Kidd was able to do his first few years in Jersey and Milwaukee that would be a pretty good win in my eyes.

Just stating my concerns. It's worth comparing our situation to the ones where inexperienced coaches have succeeded in the past. Are we similar? I would say not especially.

I appreciate you bringing up the point and compiling the list in the first place, it's been good discussion and food for thought imo, but I remain skeptical.

We also have very different opinions of the competency of Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson, two guys I would say have been dragged to success by circumstance and had to leave before their teams could become contenders. Nash is also hard for me to consider a success when looking beyond pure W/L.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#224 » by JMAC3 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:58 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Hard no from me on JJ.

Not saying it's impossible he'll be good, but I think he's much more of a gamble than other established assistant coaches. It's nice JJ had playing experience, and I'm sure he's smart (although he has some shockingly bad takes on his pod disrespecting players from past eras) but I'd rather go with an experienced hand.

The list of former coaches without experience is intriguing to be sure, but you also have to control for roster composition. Shaky coaches get dragged to success by top talent all the time. Our roster is simply not as good as the one Kerr, Jackson, Kidd, Nash, Thomas or Bird inherited. Didn't Doc also get T-Mac right off the bat? Del Negro's Clippers are probably the closest to us in talent. They had young Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe and Deandre Jordan plus a declining Baron Davis.

KembaWalker's point about JJ trashing us mercilessly after he flames out is also worth considering. JJ is about as much of a gossip as there is in NBA media and has a healthy ego. If he fails as our HC he will not blame himself, I expect he'll say Charlotte is a hopeless franchise and everyone should avoid it for the good of their career to pass the buck and salvage his reputation.

I just see questionable upside, a worrisome downside, and the previous track record of coaches without experience looks less sterling when comparing our talent to the rosters those examples inherited.

I don't really get trying to discount coaches because they had talent, all coaches need talent to win. Pop is a great coach right? Why isn't he winning? Was Phil Jackson actually not good because he had talent?

If JJ could do what Kidd was able to do his first few years in Jersey and Milwaukee that would be a pretty good win in my eyes.

Just stating my concerns. It's worth comparing our situation to the ones where inexperienced coaches have succeeded in the past. Are we similar? I would say not especially.

I appreciate you bringing up the point and compiling the list in the first place, it's been good discussion and food for thought imo, but I remain skeptical.

We also have very different opinions of the competency of Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson, two guys I would say have been dragged to success by circumstance and had to leave before their teams could become contenders. Nash is also hard for me to consider a success when looking beyond pure W/L.

JKidd took Milwaukee from 15 wins to 41 wins his first year there. It is not like he was just gifted a great team.
He left, Giannis got older. They added Brook Lopez, Jrue Holiday and Bobby Portis. over John Henson, Bledsoe and Jabari Parker.
Big Board
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,928

Post#225 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:03 pm

KembaWalker wrote:tldr We’ve already had the benefit of letting other teams make this blunder with Kidd, Fisher, and Nash and I’m confused why anyone would want to be next in that line. It probably won’t work

When has our way worked?

Clifford had tons of experience. Failed!

We made the playoffs what how many times in the past 2 decades?

Experience doesn't guarantee success when it comes to this franchise. Why not try something we never done?
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#226 » by KembaWalker » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:24 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:tldr We’ve already had the benefit of letting other teams make this blunder with Kidd, Fisher, and Nash and I’m confused why anyone would want to be next in that line. It probably won’t work

When has our way worked?

Clifford had tons of experience. Failed!

We made the playoffs what how many times in the past 2 decades?

Experience doesn't guarantee success when it comes to this franchise. Why not try something we never done?

There’s a lot of things we’ve never done, most importantly being giving any of our coaches anything good to work with on the court. I’d start there before trying to reinvent the wheel on coaching.
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 675

Post#227 » by vorbis » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:51 pm

I hope at least that when a new coach and a new GM have been installed, the inner workings of the franchise can breathe a little bit and we can get some news and speculation from the media beyond the out-of-nowhere Woj/Shams dump. I'm ready to have any insight at all into what the brass are thinking in terms of draft picks, roster construction, season expectations. out with the old system where Rod Boone is left begging for scraps 3 times a year and no one else local knows anything.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,655

Post#228 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:31 pm

nata on the lockedon pod today... had some interesting thoughts on coaching search. thinks maybe interviewing jj... and lots other fringe candidates might indicate guys like lee might not be sold on coming here.
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#229 » by KembaWalker » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:09 pm

fatlever wrote:nata on the lockedon pod today... had some interesting thoughts on coaching search. thinks maybe interviewing jj... and lots other fringe candidates might indicate guys like lee might not be sold on coming here.

Boston job could open up if Spoelstra knocks them out :lol:
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,527

Post#230 » by Bassman » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:16 pm

fatlever wrote:nata on the lockedon pod today... had some interesting thoughts on coaching search. thinks maybe interviewing jj... and lots other fringe candidates might indicate guys like lee might not be sold on coming here.

They (and you) have possibly hit the nail on the head. Good candidates may see this franchise as a high risk, long term loser. New ownership, a virtual child as GM, potential for two key players to never get over injury concerns, etc. People think any assistant coach would jump at the chance to be HC, but where you go matters. The wrong choice or circumstance can cripple your future.

I wondered why they were working with such a huge group of candidates; this likely explains it.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,661

Post#231 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:49 pm

Bassman wrote:

They (and you) have possibly hit the nail on the head. Good candidates may see this franchise as a high risk, long term loser. New ownership, a virtual child as GM, potential for two key players to never get over injury concerns, etc. People think any assistant coach would jump at the chance to be HC, but where you go matters. The wrong choice or circumstance can cripple your future.

I wondered why they were working with such a huge group of candidates; this likely explains it.

Meh, I don't see why new ownership and a new GM are negatives. I think casting a wide net makes a lot of sense for the first hire of a new regime, particularly when you may be targeting staff on current playoff teams.

I don't see any red flags in the process yet.

For context, Brooklyn fired Jacque Vaughn on Feb. 19 and didn't hire their guy until April 22.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,184

Post#232 » by SWedd523 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:20 pm

Not surprising news either. Prospective coaches have to be aware of the stank that follows being associated with a perennial loser.

Take a **** job or wait for a better position in a year or two. I don't at all blame them if they think that way. There's a reason we've cycled through the Cliffs, Borregos, and Ham Biscuits of the world.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,661

Post#233 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:39 pm

In shocking news:

Read on Twitter
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,253

Post#234 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:43 pm

With the talent we have, the change in ownership and the new GM it's time we drew a line in the sand and refuse to be the joke of the league anymore.

This coaching hire is the catalyst to a new beginning in the history of Charlotte Hornets basketball.

Everything is aligning for us to wash off the stench of losing and incompetence from the franchise.
Heelsfan119
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#235 » by Heelsfan119 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:45 pm

I think it’s a little early to say disaster. Citing Young as the example is pushing it. We don’t know if Young was considered a serious candidate. He also had ties to BYU and the west coast. They said they were casting a wide net and they are. Let’s just see what happens.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,179

Post#236 » by Rich4114 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:31 pm

KembaWalker wrote:I don’t think it’s on iOS. I’ve tried tapatalk a long long time ago and it was pretty bad, maybe it’s less bad now

The app for ios is Tapatalk and it sucks but it sucks less than using a mobile browser on this site. It overheats my phone and is cumbersome to scroll through threads, but at least it doesn't delete paragraphs of words mid post :banghead:
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#237 » by Rich4114 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:33 pm

Charles Lee confirmed as next HC then
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#238 » by Rich4114 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm

I honestly see both sides of the argument for JJ. But if I had the keys to the kingdom, I would have 1 candidate and 1 offer and it would be Bud because that ends all debates and raises zero questions. It's never not worked under Bud and that includes rosters that were probably over-achieving under him.

I also don't buy into the "x coach doesn't want to come here" narrative. It's the NBA, there are only 30 HC positions and each off-season only a small amount become available.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#239 » by JMAC3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 pm

Rich4114 wrote:I honestly see both sides of the argument for JJ. But if I had the keys to the kingdom, I would have 1 candidate and 1 offer and it would be Bud because that ends all debates and raises zero questions. It's never not worked under Bud and that includes rosters that were probably over-achieving under him.

I also don't buy into the "x coach doesn't want to come here" narrative. It's the NBA, there are only 30 HC positions and each off-season only a small amount become available.

I buy that for Bud, who is going to be a top 3 option for any playoff that fires their coach, but yeah Charles Lee, JJ, Adelman.. those guys are probably taking any job due to scarcity.
Big Board
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,557

Post#240 » by HornetJail » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:37 pm

Rich4114 wrote:I honestly see both sides of the argument for JJ. But if I had the keys to the kingdom, I would have 1 candidate and 1 offer and it would be Bud because that ends all debates and raises zero questions. It's never not worked under Bud and that includes rosters that were probably over-achieving under him.

I'm guessing he doesn't want to come here unless he gets a Monty contract

which is honestly fair if he sees us as a dumpster fire (hard to argue otherwise) and he is willing to wait on a better opportunity
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR

Return to Charlotte Hornets