ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospect: Alex Sarr

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,249

Re: 2024 Draft Prospect: Alex Sarr 

Post#21 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:59 pm

I think by the time the draft comes up Sarr will be the consensus #1 overall pick. Just too much size, length, fluidity, has good hands, workable shot compared to others in this draft. Good to great already on defense on the perimeter, can play the 4 or 5. Like LaMelo, will flourish in an NBA offense instead of an Aussie one.

Pretty much a good fit/needed for the Pistons, Hornets, Blazers, Raptors, and even the Spurs as a paring with Wemby.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,249

Post#22 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 am

We could also definitely use with more length at the 4/5. I anticipate he will develop his shot to become a genuine stretch 4/5 too with better defensive upside than most of those archetypes.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#23 » by wilson115 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 am

Just hope the character part's there. Who knew Kai was such a headcase.

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#24 » by Bassman » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm

wilson115 wrote:Just hope the character part's there. Who knew Kai was such a headcase.

Every time I watch Sarr footage, I come away with consistent strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths - Athletic long big, runs the floor well, quick footwork, springy shot blocker, great touch on put backs, nice short to mid shooting, very good shot form, good passer, really good handle for a big guy, seems to see the court well, moves well without the ball, good defender, can occasionally hit a 3, good energy, good feel for the game and IQ at his age.

Weaknesses - Thin…must develop strength to excel at next level, shooting from range, rebounding for his size is low (strength will help)

Question I Can’t Answer - Does Sarr have a frame that can add a lot more weight without harming his game?

Still think Sarr can be most effective as a PF. Expanding his shooting range consistency will be the key. He has a LOT of tools and should be the #1 pick. I hope we can get him.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,514

Post#25 » by GoBobs » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:35 pm

Bassman wrote:
wilson115 wrote:Just hope the character part's there. Who knew Kai was such a headcase.

Every time I watch Sarr footage, I come away with consistent strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths - Athletic long big, runs the floor well, quick footwork, springy shot blocker, great touch on put backs, nice short to mid shooting, very good shot form, good passer, really good handle for a big guy, seems to see the court well, moves well without the ball, good defender, can occasionally hit a 3, good energy, good feel for the game and IQ at his age.

Weaknesses - Thin…must develop strength to excel at next level, shooting from range, rebounding for his size is low (strength will help)

Question I Can’t Answer - Does Sarr have a frame that can add a lot more weight without harming his game?

Still think Sarr can be most effective as a PF. Expanding his shooting range consistency will be the key. He has a LOT of tools and should be the #1 pick. I hope we can get him.

He can probably add some at least. I don't expect him to ever become a guy that plays physical in the paint for 40 min boxing out and getting all the rebounds. In order for that to happen he would have to put on weight and change his basketball habits as well.

Question I have is which of these guys are going to continue to improve. Who is going to keep adding stuff to their game vs who is going to surround themselves with "yes" men and just enjoy being a young millionaire.

He plays a lot more like a wing then a center. Is he more skilled than say Ron Holland? To me they are both just really raw. Holland is 11/46 from 3, Sarr is 14/47. There is really not much difference. Do you want a 6'8'' wing or do you want a 7'1'' wing? The 6'8'' guy won't block as many shots from the weak side. The 7'1'' guy is going to get turned over more when he tries to dribble.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#26 » by Bassman » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 pm

I really think Sarr will add enough strength to be effective at the 4. His decision making and IQ seem advanced compared to Holland, who forces some of his playing into bad situations and turnovers. I do think Holland will improve that with more experience, but Sarr seems a step ahead in that department. Alex said he began playing with much older guys early, when he didn’t have the size advantage he does now. It forced him to learn the game, to dribble, pass, and aquire the skills of a guard to stay on the court. A little like Wemby in that regard.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,787

Post#27 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 pm

I'm assuming Bridges moves to sf if we draft Sarr.

Just not sure how 2 7ft's will work in today's NBA.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by wilson115 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 pm

The Cavs have started two 7-footers and regularly made the playoffs the past few years. This with a pair of undersized, defensively challenged starters in the backcourt.
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,071

Post#29 » by EmpireFalls » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 pm

wilson115 wrote:The Cavs have started two 7-footers and regularly made the playoffs the past few years. This with a pair of undersized, defensively challenged starters in the backcourt.

And regularly failed to fit together, notably not winning a single playoff series, and are in severe turmoil with the prospect of the team breaking up this summer as a result... and Mobley is a better prospect and player than Sarr.

But that's just the reality of this diabolical draft, you aren't getting a franchise centerpiece and you aren't even getting a #2 most likely.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by wilson115 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
wilson115 wrote:The Cavs have started two 7-footers and regularly made the playoffs the past few years. This with a pair of undersized, defensively challenged starters in the backcourt.

And regularly failed to fit together, notably not winning a single playoff series, and are in severe turmoil with the prospect of the team breaking up this summer as a result... and Mobley is a better prospect and player than Sarr.

But that's just the reality of this diabolical draft, you aren't getting a franchise centerpiece and you aren't even getting a #2 most likely.

Not saying the Cavs have the perfect roster, I'm saying Allen + Mobley up front have compensated for glaring weaknesses elsewhere. The Cavs had the #1 defense and were #2 in rebounds given up going into the 2023 playoffs. This year, the Cavs were #2 in the East at the trade deadline before multiple injuries had them ending the year at #4. All with undersized starters in the backcourt.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,249

Post#31 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 am

EmpireFalls wrote:

Maybe it's the leaky back court that's the problem in Cleveland not the defensively elite froncourt?

Donovan Mitchell has form in Utah for playoff fadeouts. Fancy giving up Lauri and a bevy of future firsts for an undersized 2 guard with defensive limitations and only 2 years left on his contract at the time of the trade. Stupid is what stupid does.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,216

Post#32 » by JDR720 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:08 pm

Cleveland don't have a good SF either.

Their two best guards are 6'1 and their two bigs are actually Centers.

They have a very unbalanced roster.

Towns and Gobert are examples of two 7-footers that work well together.

If Sarr can at least be an average shooter, he'll be fine with Mark.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,249

Post#33 » by amcoolio » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:02 pm

Sarr's defensive potential will be better than PJ as a 4/5 because is way more mobile, way taller, and lengthier. Big enough to guard the paint as well. One thing he does well is not foul. He was late on a few rotations, but he'll shore that up with more experience. He's better at catching and rolling to the rim and dunks and lobs too. It's really only the shooting and adding weight to his frame without losing mobility, which I think he can do. At the very worst he never shoots the ball and is a Jarrett Allen or poor man's JJJ. I'll take that in this draft
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,514

Post#34 » by GoBobs » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:26 am

If you watch any playoff games, notice how physical the game is. You need guys in the playoffs that don't shrink in response to a more physical game.

Our team gets punked by Det in the regular season. Grant Williams was a good start but we need more physical guys. Sarr is a long way away from being physical as a C or PF. I am fine with him as a SF.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#35 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:34 am

GoBobs wrote:If you watch any playoff games, notice how physical the game is. You need guys in the playoffs that don't shrink in response to a more physical game.

Our team gets punked by Det in the regular season. Grant Williams was a good start but we need more physical guys. Sarr is a long way away from being physical as a C or PF. I am fine with him as a SF.

sf?

You realize he is 7'1 with no handle?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,840

Post#36 » by Diop » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:49 am

his handle is pretty good, especially for a 7 footer. he often brought the ball up on offense.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#37 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:24 am

Diop wrote:his handle is pretty good, especially for a 7 footer. he often brought the ball up on offense.

Wait so people viewing Sarr as a SF now?

I need to watch his film again. I had no idea he had legit guard skills as a ball handler.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,059

Post#38 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:25 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
Diop wrote:his handle is pretty good, especially for a 7 footer. he often brought the ball up on offense.

I need to watch his film again. I had no idea he had legit guard skills as a ball handler.

Absolutely not a 3 but he can handle the ball.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,840

Post#39 » by Diop » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:26 am

JustBuzzin wrote:

no I definitely dont see him as a sf. was just saying he did have a handle, he's ok at most things.

not fantastic at anything. Although I think his shooting will get there
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by wilson115 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:36 am

His passing out on the perimeter's shown promise as well. Cody Zeller was really good at this.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Charlotte Hornets