2024 Draft Prospect: Alex Sarr

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,515

Re: 2024 Draft Prospect: Alex Sarr 

Post#41 » by GoBobs » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:17 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Diop wrote:his handle is pretty good, especially for a 7 footer. he often brought the ball up on offense.

Wait so people viewing Sarr as a SF now?

I need to watch his film again. I had no idea he had legit guard skills as a ball handler.

Here is a full game with a bunch of top prospects for your viewing pleasure

;t=701s

To me Sarr stands out the most. Won't be surprised if he becomes the consensus number 1. He has really good fluidity and skills for somebody his size. Of course just because he has a really good handle for a 7'1'' guy doesn't mean you want him trying to break guys down with the dribble.

He plays like a wing though, as in away from the basket. That is why his rebounding is so low, he isn't around the basket a lot of the time.

Also for a guy listed at 7'1'' he doesn't really stand out as taller than everyone else. He is probably similar size to Kevin Durant or rookie Kevin Garnet. I am guessing like 6'10'' or 6'11'' without shoes.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,180

Post#42 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:58 pm

Sarr is very intriguing. 1. He is a really good athlete, and he is just going to make 2-3 plays a night that most guys can't so there is a ton of value in that whether it's a block, dunk, play in transition etc. he brings that. 2. He is a defensive floor raiser for this team, his ability to protect the rim and also switch onto smaller defenders is elite for his height. 3. Offensively he probably is Chet- lite. If he plays the 5 he will be able to space the floor and make some threes, but he isn't nearly as good as of shooter.

I wouldn't be mad at the pick at all. I think he becomes a solid backup 5 right away this year behind Mark which should allow him 20-25 mpg which is fine with a top 3 pick in a weaker draft.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,931

Post#43 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:05 pm

We will draft either Sarr or Castle if either are on the board. Im 100% convinced they are looking at defensive minded players in a rather weak draft. Clifford is still a major piece here. They will ask him what this team needs. We all know he's been preaching defense for most of his career.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,257

Post#44 » by amcoolio » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:55 pm

wilson115 wrote:His passing out on the perimeter's shown promise as well. Cody Zeller was really good at this.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

See this is the difference between Wiseman, who went #2 overall, and Sarr. I couldn't understand the Wiseman love becuase he couldn't do anything like this with the ball in his hands and was also constantly lost on defense, and way less twitchy with his athleticism. With Sarr you can see the NBA skills to go along with an impressive size, length and mobility. Sarr is a way better prospect than Wiseman. I really think its only his shooting that will stop him from being an all-star level player. He's #1 on my board for sure
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#45 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:24 pm

He averaged 11 ppg in the OTE reg season last year, 8 ppg in the playoffs.
9.7 ppg in the NBL.

On paper I think he looks great, has his moments but also at the same time he should be absolutely destroying these leagues at least for stretches and we have really not seen that.
Big Board
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,527

Post#46 » by Bassman » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:41 pm

JMAC3 wrote:He averaged 11 ppg in the OTE reg season last year, 8 ppg in the playoffs.
9.7 ppg in the NBL.

On paper I think he looks great, has his moments but also at the same time he should be absolutely destroying these leagues at least for stretches and we have really not seen that.

I understand your comment, and it may fit who Sarr really is as a pro. Even if he’s never a mega all-star, Sarr could be the ultimate complimentary starter who makes everyone better while posting solid efficient numbers nightly. At the 4, his defense, athletic mobility, strong shooting basket to mid-range, passing, handle for a big, would be a huge benefit to our healthy core.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,931

Post#47 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:22 am

Kind of hard to get mad at the idea of a Sarr/Mark frontcourt. They could be lethal on defense.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#48 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:23 am

Bassman wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:He averaged 11 ppg in the OTE reg season last year, 8 ppg in the playoffs.
9.7 ppg in the NBL.

I understand your comment, and it may fit who Sarr really is as a pro. Even if he’s never a mega all-star, Sarr could be the ultimate complimentary starter who makes everyone better while posting solid efficient numbers nightly. At the 4, his defense, athletic mobility, strong shooting basket to mid-range, passing, handle for a big, would be a huge benefit to our healthy core.

I really like his defensive profile of being able to play the 4 or 5 in specific matchups. I don't think I love an offensive front court of Sarr and Mark, with the lack of 3 pt range but maybe it is something you just have to try even if you think it never works out.

He is on my short list, but think his offense is probably a bit overrated when you look at what it really is.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#49 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 pm

Offensively he probably plays like a young PJ Washington in Charlotte. Mostly a catch and shoot guy, some small ball center stuff, some attacking closeout stuff but overall don't expect much more than a 4th or 5th option scorer for a few years.
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets