Re: Welcome To The New Forum 

Post#21 » by N.O.R.E. » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Nope. Doesn't work FWIW...
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#22 » by jax98 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm not one to complain. Especially to a site that has given me a chance to discuss basketball with people around the world.

But I've been here since 2001 (Joined in 2003, I believe) and I can tel you that the best forums you had up and running were the previous one. It was so much easier to sperate posts from each other as well as the lay-out.

Obviously I'm here for the discussion and not the lay-out, so I'll give it a shot. But I really hope you add 'quick reply' and perhaps make the quotes more easy on the eyes by changing the back-ground color.

I know RealGM had their intensions at heart which is why I appreciate all the trouble you've gone through for all of us. But personally, I really, really loved the old format.

I have to ask. Was the move a necessary one (bandwitch, server?) or done just for the sake of change?
Tom Baker
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#23 » by Tom Baker » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:39 pm

GuyverX wrote:Fortifying the forum for draft day is one thing but giving it a visual overhaul is another. I agree with the quotes being blended in with the replies. That's a major problem. I also miss the quick reply box.

The whole site just looks way too blue. You have a blue background combined with blue screen names. I know human beings are change-averse but I'm just not feeling it right now. Hopefully this is just a rough re-launch.

You've got blue??? I've got a whole whack of gray.

I'm on Firefox. What are you using?
Tom Baker
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Tom Baker » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:40 pm

kyphi wrote:
Tom Baker wrote:
kyphi wrote:what's up with the funky Canadian spelling? - trying to covertly take over the world?

Technically, it's the American spelling that's funky. You're the ones who went out of your way to differentiate yourselves from the original British spelling. :laugh:

shut up or we'll invade you - and you know we will -

Try it and we'll release the polar bears. ;)
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,253

Post#25 » by GuyverX » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Tom Baker wrote:
GuyverX wrote:Fortifying the forum for draft day is one thing but giving it a visual overhaul is another. I agree with the quotes being blended in with the replies. That's a major problem. I also miss the quick reply box.

The whole site just looks way too blue. You have a blue background combined with blue screen names. I know human beings are change-averse but I'm just not feeling it right now. Hopefully this is just a rough re-launch.

Sorry, I meant the basketball forums...the feedback forum is grey, very grey. I noticed that each forum is a different color...but there's way too much of that color.
Tom Baker
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Tom Baker » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:46 pm

GuyverX wrote:
Tom Baker wrote:

Sorry, I meant the basketball forums...the feedback forum is grey, very grey. I noticed that each forum is a different color...but there's way too much of that color.

You're right. I checked out the Raptors board.

On the plus side, BTW, some of the sigs and avatars look somehow better. Not sure what that is.
harry lockheart
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#27 » by harry lockheart » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:50 pm

To whoever redesigned the site, I'm sure it took a lot of work, but the changes for the most part don't make for as functional a site as the old one. Not to mention how slow it is.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#28 » by Da Schwab » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:52 pm

This new stuff is alright, but I have the same gripes as everyone else. I don't like the hidden quotes and I thought the old layout was perfectly fine.

EDIT: And, dangit! I'm back to an assistant coach. What are the new post levels set at?
ElMatatan
General Manager
And1: 487

Post#29 » by ElMatatan » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:55 pm

It feels like Times Square with all these advertisements..
NY State of Mind
nuggett
Rookie
And1: 897

Post#30 » by nuggett » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:56 pm

ugh... :noway:

This looks horrific.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,298

Post#31 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Please bring back the quick reply feature. And also its almost impossible to see a quoted post.
aka: prorl
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#32 » by Darko Miliminutes » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:59 pm

This is horrible. :(

I'm guessing it's easier to moderate now, and sell ad space. :evil:
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#33 » by dbodner » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:00 pm

quick reply absolutely needs to be first priority IMO.

I'm also not a huge fan of the new wiretap. It's certainly more functional, but it also takes up considerably more space than the previous, and you have to scroll down farther reach time you view the board.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 415

Post#34 » by CzBoobie » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Wow, the quoting system is totally messed up, main quote has the same color as reply and the quoted quote different? It doesn't make any sense...
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,253

Post#35 » by GuyverX » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Yeah, I'm with you on that slideshow at the top. I mean, if we really wanted to read wiretap articles we'd just go to the front page. And it pretty much takes up about half the screen on my 19" monitor.
Kid.Canada.23
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#36 » by Kid.Canada.23 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:03 pm

sometimes change is good.... this is not one of those times.

Like the effort put forth to make the site better, but as mentioned previously, some things were fine the way they were.
arrpy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5

Post#37 » by arrpy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm not to fond of the quotes lay out, or the loss of the quick reply feature. It's definitely gonna take some getting used to...
calibanPK
Pro Prospect
And1: 19

Post#38 » by calibanPK » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Swing and a miss!
The Flying Gent
Veteran
And1: 1,275

Post#39 » by The Flying Gent » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Too blue! Too blue! :cry:

Also, the new quote system kinda sucks.
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#40 » by TB#1 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:22 pm

I've gone through this several times before, when we upgraded the board I used to own.

There is almost always an "I fear change" negative reaction.

Things will smooth out, the bugs will get worked out and features will be fine-tuned. Everyone will be jolly.

As I PM'd to'peg, I am not a big fan of having the boards down for extended periods of time during the day, especially during the finals. I am more in favor of overnight maintenance. Of course, its easy for me to talk, because I sleep while techies work.

Anyway, if the software runs smoother now, I'm all for it. Lets shoot for remaining online on draft day. That would be huge, even if its more a server space issue than a software issue.

Return to Global Announcements