Who is winning the title?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins it all?

Boston
29%
Denver
40%
Bucks
4%
Suns
2%
Clippers
3%
Lakers
3%
OKC
1%
Wolves
4%
Mavs
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 149

sammo89
Junior
And1: 196

Re: Who is winning the title? 

Post#21 » by sammo89 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

Denver because expecting Porzingis to not get injured is wishful thinking at this point
NightWatch
Junior
And1: 369

Post#22 » by NightWatch » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

Excuse me, why Miami Heat is not on the list?
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,554

Post#23 » by One_and_Done » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am

NightWatch wrote:Excuse me, why Miami Heat is not on the list?

Because I only listed the 9 most likely.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,789

Post#24 » by jkvonny » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

NightWatch wrote:Excuse me, why Miami Heat is not on the list?

Select "Other" and specify.
Sleep
Starter
And1: 534

Post#25 » by Sleep » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

If Boston don't do it this year, when will they?
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#26 » by xinxin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

Denver, if healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,846

Post#27 » by Exp0sed » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

pontius wrote:It feels like Boston's year. They have been the best and most consistent team all season. There's a gap between them and everybody else.

the gap in the rs is clearly huge, when other teams have a key player sit out - they get much weaker or if a couple of key guys are having rough nights. Boston is stacked, their top 7-8 are insane with two super max players who are both top 15 players (Tatum's higher obviously) and KP, White, Jrue etc, pretty sick which allows them to sit guys out and suffer only minor damage, if someone has an off night there's always some else to pick up the slack

throughout the course of a regular season that has made them very dominant - in the playoffs that margin gets smaller
as teams play their best players heavy mins and tighten their rotations, the teams with actual MVP calibre top end talent, get to play those guys more. Boston is still the favorite imo, if they can stay healthy (looking at you, KP!) but I think that gap you talked about gets smaller in the playoffs

they are also less battle tested in close games than the other contenders, they haven't had many and when they did they haven't fared so well. they are very reliant on the 3 ball and while they have excellent consistent shooters all around and a good system that generates plenty of looks, we all know what sometimes happens to teams featuring the 3 ball this heavily in the playoffs

that's true for a multitude of reasons but is particularly relevant to some role players. guys like Joe Harris who shot 50% from 3 and couldn't hit the side of the barn in the playoffs, with playoff schemes, phsyicallity and pressure

Hauser did the same last season iirc, being basically the best outside shooter in the league in the rs but dissappointing in the playoffs

I like Boston's chances, they def have the most chance out of everyone but they aren't favorites against the field and not even close, alot of teams will get their chance to put it all together at the right time

Boston is also now in a weird spot whereas they basically have nothing to play for. what do u do if ur the C's?
no point in risking injury but on the flip side you can't have all ur guys sitting the last 10 games..

I think that it's easier mentally do be a team like PHX, Mavs etc. that need to battle for seeding till the very end then rest for a week and here comes the playoffs but for Boston it's kind of an akward and suboptimal situation, Mazulla needs to do a good job preparing them
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#28 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

ajones9219 wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:Celtics are the best team in the league, but they also have some of the worst clutch offense I've ever seen whereas Jokic and Murray are an all-time clutch duo at their peak. Voted Denver.

They are #6 in clutch offensive rating, and #6 in clutch net and defensive rating.

They are 20-11 in clutch games while Denver is 25-12. Denver has been better in clutch games but it's not by some wide margin, and they are in that situation a lot more because Boston has been generally blowing teams out.

In fairness, Boston seems consistent about entering clutch situations in the lead, so their win ratio should be high.

Or is that an illusion? Are the real numbers different from what I feel without checking that they are?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#29 » by 165bows » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm

baldur wrote:boston and denver are one tier above everyone else. let's be honest here. a third team would be a relatively big surprise.

Denver definitely the best in the west, and as the champs gotta give them the nod until they are out. Okc and Minnesota have been very good as well, have to hand it to them for what they've done.
Deshaun Taden
Junior
And1: 411

Post#30 » by Deshaun Taden » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 pm

Whoa how are Mavs the third option? That's crazy.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,576

Post#31 » by Harry Garris » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:Celtics are the best team in the league, but they also have some of the worst clutch offense I've ever seen whereas Jokic and Murray are an all-time clutch duo at their peak. Voted Denver.

They are #6 in clutch offensive rating, and #6 in clutch net and defensive rating.

They are 20-11 in clutch games while Denver is 25-12. Denver has been better in clutch games but it's not by some wide margin, and they are in that situation a lot more because Boston has been generally blowing teams out.

I’m sure they’re fine in the last 3-5 minutes of a game, but if it comes down to one possession at the end of a game to tie or take the lead, I honestly can’t even remember the last time they scored. It feels like it hasn’t happened all season.

That's only if the game comes down to 1 shot. Boston is so much more talented and better than everyone else I honestly would not suspect that 4 out of 7 games in a series are going to come down to the last shot against anyone other than the Nuggets. They're going to win before that point more often than not versus any non-Denver team.

Against Denver in the finals yeah it's a legitimate worry, but Boston is so much more likely to make the finals than Denver is. The East isn't very good and no Eastern team is on their level anyway. The Celtics will be in the finals. If their opponent is anyone other than Denver I think Boston winning the title is a pretty safe bet. Denver is a bit of a nightmare scenario, but if that ends up being the finals matchup, I still think Boston has a good chance. Yes Denver is on average going to have better offensive possessions in the clutch than Boston is but it's not like the last 2 or 3 possessions determine the outcome of every basketball game. You can win by having enough of a lead before you get there, or sometimes the ball bounces your way and you win despite not getting an awesome last shot for the game.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,398

Post#32 » by AleksandarN » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

pontius wrote:It feels like Boston's year. They have been the best and most consistent team all season. There's a gap between them and everybody else.

How big of a gap do you have Boston over the Nuggets?
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#33 » by One_and_Done » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 pm

Deshaun Taden wrote:Whoa how are Mavs the third option? That's crazy.

They have a punchers chance vs Denver, which is more than Miami has. Miami is just not built to play Denver.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,091

Post#34 » by stuporman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm

I don't think they are going to win it but how could you not put the Knicks in the options in place of the Suns?

Sure, the Suns have names but haven't shown any ability to string any sustained great play or enough wins together to be a serious threat to any of the top 4 west teams let alone the second 4 teams.

While the Knicks have been battling injuries for the better part of 3 months but still in the 3rd seed and in striking distance of the 2nd seed. They are maybe the biggest threat to the Celtics if, big IF, healthy.

Either way, I'm picking the Nuggets out of the west and for the title, they are gelling at the right time and have the best player in the league. Wolves match up well with them so second choice, maybe OKC but still kinda young and small yet wow, they are good. Mavs real solid since the trade deadline, too.

The Celtics probably still come out of the east if healthy, of course, but the Knicks or Bucks may be able to take them down, too, even if healthy. They are the most talented and probably the deepest team in the east but still feel vulnerable for some reason, maybe it's a mental thing. Magic surging but too soon.

Except for an unexpected run like the Heat did last year, I don't see a team outside of the top 3 in either conference getting to the finals.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Ito
General Manager
And1: 790

Post#35 » by Ito » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 pm

Hopefully Mavs or Lakers or Knicks 8-)
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#36 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 pm

Denver vs Milwaukee is the matchup I believe happens and Jokic leads Denver to victory. Milwaukee will need to figure something else out to win. I kind of feel like Milwaukee needs to win this season because Dame will ask out this off-season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#37 » by One_and_Done » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 pm

stuporman wrote:I don't think they are going to win it but how could you not put the Knicks in the options in place of the Suns?

Sure, the Suns have names but haven't shown any ability to string any sustained great play or enough wins together to be a serious threat to any of the top 4 west teams let alone the second 4 teams.

While the Knicks have been battling injuries for the better part of 3 months but still in the 3rd seed and in striking distance of the 2nd seed. They are maybe the biggest threat to the Celtics if, big IF, healthy.

Either way, I'm picking the Nuggets out of the west and for the title, they are gelling at the right time and have the best player in the league. Wolves match up well with them so second choice, maybe OKC but still kinda young and small yet wow, they are good. Mavs real solid since the trade deadline, too.

The Celtics probably still come out of the east if healthy, of course, but the Knicks or Bucks may be able to take them down, too, even if healthy. They are the most talented and probably the deepest team in the east but still feel vulnerable for some reason, maybe it's a mental thing. Magic surging but too soon.

Except for an unexpected run like the Heat did last year, I don't see a team outside of the top 3 in either conference getting to the finals.

Knicks can't beat the top teams in the playoffs.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,789

Post#38 » by jkvonny » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm

stuporman wrote:I don't think they are going to win it but how could you not put the Knicks in the options in place of the Suns?

That's when you would vote "other" and specify.
Petergrifindor
Rookie
And1: 1,439

Post#39 » by Petergrifindor » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm

Deshaun Taden wrote:Whoa how are Mavs the third option? That's crazy.

Not that crazy.

They don't have a good coach and that sucks.

But if the players are near their best level... they could really win it all.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#40 » by chrisab123 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

Boston. Unless they run into Miami. If they face the Heat in any round the Heat will probably advance. In that case it would be Denver again.

Return to The General Board