Main reason Jordan is the GOAT

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,570

Re: Main reason Jordan is the GOAT 

Post#101 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

VanWest82 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Jordan would likely be a top 5 player if he played today, but I doubt anyone would consider him the GOAT. The 90s sucked compared to today's league.

Shai is a lesser version of MJ and is likely going to finish top 3 in MVP voting. Shai disproves your opinion with every game he plays.

Shai, the guy who shoots 3s, disproves that 3pt shooting is important? :roll:
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,750

Post#102 » by VanWest82 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 am

One_and_Done wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Jordan would likely be a top 5 player if he played today, but I doubt anyone would consider him the GOAT. The 90s sucked compared to today's league.

Shai is a lesser version of MJ and is likely going to finish top 3 in MVP voting. Shai disproves your opinion with every game he plays.

Shai barely shoots any threes and is still uber-efficient. MJ, every year he shot threes beyond end-of-shot clock attempts, was well above relative average...or is this supposed to be another idiotic take about how the greatest mid-range shooter in history would've been a poor three point shooter? C'mon. Please tell me you're not that dumb. If so, let's end the discussion here.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#103 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 am

One_and_Done wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:

SGA who averages 3 - 3 point shots a game??
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,503

Post#104 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

One_and_Done wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:

Jordan by every RGM poll done is the majority GOAT. Doesn’t make your opinion wrong not to agree with majority. Makes you obtuse when you claim majority opinion is wrong. Makes you a jerk when you treat people like you do because you think justified being on other side of majority. You should recalibrate.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#105 » by dk1115 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am

For me, I think that he's the first and really only player I've watched where once he got to the top, he just stayed there. His teams stayed up there with him too. People can say that he never won in the 80's, which is true, but once he figured out how to win it all, other people had no chance.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#106 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am

VanWest82 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Shai is a lesser version of MJ and is likely going to finish top 3 in MVP voting. Shai disproves your opinion with every game he plays.

Shai barely shoots any threes and is still uber-efficient. MJ, every year he shot threes beyond end-of-shot clock attempts, was well above relative average...or is this supposed to be another idiotic take about how the greatest mid-range shooter in history would've been a poor three point shooter? C'mon. Please tell me you're not that dumb. If so, let's end the discussion here.

You're the one not getting it. Jokic doesn't shoot many 3s either; but the fact he can do so forces the defender to get out and guard him on the perimeter. For Jokic that takes away the shog blocker, and frees the lane for his team mates. In the case of SGA the threat of the 3 forces the D to guard him closely. If he couldn't shoot it, they'd give him more cushion. Because they can't give him any it lets him blow by using his shake and burst. It's the threat of his 3, not how many he takes.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,072

Post#107 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am

dk1115 wrote:For me, I think that he's the first and really only player I've watched where once he got to the top, he just stayed there. His teams stayed up there with him too. People can say that he never won in the 80's, which is true, but once he figured out how to win it all, other people had no chance.

I don't even think that's true that he didn't know how to win in the 80's, maybe the first couple of years but when he first got Scottie Scottie wasn't very good and the team wasn't very good. I showed how the entire team had no 15 ppg scorer except Jordan the two years they lost to the Pistons. Jordan was averaging 35. So I'm not sure how he wasn't ready to win then, the team wasn't ready to win.
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#108 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

One_and_Done wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Shai, the guy who shoots 3s, disproves that 3pt shooting is important? :roll:

You're the one not getting it. Jokic doesn't shoot many 3s either; but the fact he can do so forces the defender to get out and guard him on the perimeter. For Jokic that takes away the shog blocker, and frees the lane for his team mates. In the case of SGA the threat of the 3 forces the D to guard him closely. If he couldn't shoot it, they'd give him more cushion. Because they can't give him any it lets him blow by using his shake and burst. It's the threat of his 3, not how many he takes.

Lmfao you said SGA shoots 3s but now its the threat of SGA shooting 3s???? Backtracking like ive never seen before lol. Just last week you got a discussion locked for trolling. Do you remember that?
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#109 » by One_and_Done » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Shai barely shoots any threes and is still uber-efficient. MJ, every year he shot threes beyond end-of-shot clock attempts, was well above relative average...or is this supposed to be another idiotic take about how the greatest mid-range shooter in history would've been a poor three point shooter? C'mon. Please tell me you're not that dumb. If so, let's end the discussion here.

Lmfao you said SGA shoots 3s but now its the threat of SGA shooting 3s???? Backtracking like ive never seen before lol. Just last week you got a discussion locked for trolling. Do you remember that?

It was so obvious I didn't think I'd have to explain it. Do you want me to explain why KD and SGA shooting midrangers has utility too? (Hint: it involves 3s).
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#110 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Shai barely shoots any threes and is still uber-efficient. MJ, every year he shot threes beyond end-of-shot clock attempts, was well above relative average...or is this supposed to be another idiotic take about how the greatest mid-range shooter in history would've been a poor three point shooter? C'mon. Please tell me you're not that dumb. If so, let's end the discussion here.

He didn't get a thread locked for trolling. He made a thread with a poll asking what was the biggest superstar chokejob in the playoffs and refused to put Lebron 2011 and despite everyone saying it belonged there he defended his decision because he loves him some Lebron!

On second thought, he did get a thread locked for trolling.
Jta444
Sophomore
And1: 201

Post#111 » by Jta444 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:44 am

Jordan would feast on today’s finesse no interior defense with defensive 3 seconds league.

Lebron only started dominating when Garnett and Duncan and the last of the great big men retired. Heck he even struggled against an old Garnett and lost to a 38 year old Tim Duncan. Imaginee if he faced them in their prime. At one point he even struggled against Hibbert. And this is prime Lebron struggling against old dudes.

Lebron’s specialty is attacking the rim which opens up his passing and shooting game thats why he only dominated and had high stats when there werent great defensive big men anymore and it was the smallball era from 2015-2020z Of course he would have the best stats he faced Draymond at center who he is taller and more athletic than lol. When great big men started to appear again like Giannis and Embiid he jumped out of the East and RECRUITED the best interior defender in the NBA Anthony Davis so he wouldnt face him. So imagine if he was in the late 80s 90s facing Hakeem, Mutombo, Oakley, Smits, Eaton, Malone, Shaq, Ewing etc. He wouldnt be bigger and stronger than everybody, which is his main physical attribute. It’s not the perimeter defenders that trouble him, it’s the interior defenders and the 90s was the golden age of shot blocking big men

PS People complain oh the 90s had Mugsy and Shawn bradley, well this era had 5”7 isaiah thomas almost having the MVP. We also had brian scalabrine and jared dudley lol. It’s easy to nitpick players
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#112 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:44 am

One_and_Done wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:You're the one not getting it. Jokic doesn't shoot many 3s either; but the fact he can do so forces the defender to get out and guard him on the perimeter. For Jokic that takes away the shog blocker, and frees the lane for his team mates. In the case of SGA the threat of the 3 forces the D to guard him closely. If he couldn't shoot it, they'd give him more cushion. Because they can't give him any it lets him blow by using his shake and burst. It's the threat of his 3, not how many he takes.

It was so obvious I didn't think I'd have to explain it. Do you want me to explain why KD and SGA shooting midrangers has utility too? (Hint: it involves 3s).

No it wasnt obvious kid you are just backtracking. If you were old enough to have watched 90s nba you would understand that the 3 point shot wasn’t considered a “good” shot and the top offensive players in that era were not focusing on the 3 ball other than guys like Reggie Miller, Glen Rice, Ray Allen, and some others. If Jordan played today that would be more of a focus and he would add it to his arsenal. He would still dominate with his mid range, post up, and an occasional 3 pointer. Plus he would average 8-10 free throws a game and he was a career 84% free throw shooter. Your trolling is changing nobody’s mind.
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#113 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:You're the one not getting it. Jokic doesn't shoot many 3s either; but the fact he can do so forces the defender to get out and guard him on the perimeter. For Jokic that takes away the shog blocker, and frees the lane for his team mates. In the case of SGA the threat of the 3 forces the D to guard him closely. If he couldn't shoot it, they'd give him more cushion. Because they can't give him any it lets him blow by using his shake and burst. It's the threat of his 3, not how many he takes.

He didn't get a thread locked for trolling. He made a thread with a poll asking what was the biggest superstar chokejob in the playoffs and refused to put Lebron 2011 and despite everyone saying it belonged there he defended his decision because he loves him some Lebron!

On second thought, he did get a thread locked for trolling.

He didnt learn his lesson obviously
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,701

Post#114 » by NbaAllDay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

These MJ/Lebron threads have the same 5 or so people post in circles with little to no real substance. Half of it looks copy pasted from other threads they post in.

I've tried to engage in some of them but end up hurting my head in an attempt to clarify the narratives pushed both ways.

It was entertaining at first but it's become mostly sad.
SweaterBae
Rookie
And1: 1,578

Post#115 » by SweaterBae » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

Jordan is the GOAT because he's the best player to ever touch a basketball.
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#116 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

NbaAllDay wrote:These MJ/Lebron threads have the same 5 or so people post in circles with little to no real substance. Half of it looks copy pasted from other threads they post in.

I've tried to engage in some of them but end up hurting my head in an attempt to clarify the narratives pushed both ways.

You could try to make them more entertaining yourself? Oh but you're not capable.
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#117 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

NbaAllDay wrote:These MJ/Lebron threads have the same 5 or so people post in circles with little to no real substance. Half of it looks copy pasted from other threads they post in.

I was wondering when you were gonna show up with all of your wisdom
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man

Post#118 » by NbaAllDay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am

ChipotleWest wrote:

You could try to make them more entertaining yourself? Oh but you're not capable.

I don't think you realise the laugh I had when you replied directly to this but I'll let you figure out why.
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#119 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

There's only so many ways you can reach to try to discredit Jordan like disregard his entire era of basketball, try to make fun of his 3 point shooting, bring up a series he sat for almost 2 years where he lost in the 90's or bring up early in his career. I think you guys are out of ammo on him because you've used all those up.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man

Post#120 » by NbaAllDay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:

I was wondering when you were gonna show up with all of your wisdom

2 of you couldn't help yourself which just proves my point all the more.

Return to The General Board