Nets to Hire Jordi Fernandez as Next HC

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Nets to Hire Jordi Fernandez as Next HC 

Post#1 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

Read on Twitter

Thoughts?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,263

Re: Nets to Hire Jordi Fernandez as Next HC 

Post#2 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:48 am

Good coach. Team sucks. Fans will criticize him and say he doesn't know what he's doing.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,563

Post#3 » by Dominator83 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:48 am

Remains to be seen. If that's their biggest off-season move, it's an L either way.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,172

Post#4 » by DaGawd » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:49 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Good coach. Team sucks. Fans will criticize him and say he doesn't know what he's doing.

wash rinse repeat
BaF
Washington Wizards
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,713

Post#5 » by Kurtz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:00 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thoughts?

He was good with Team Canada, guys seemed to really buy into him.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,260

Post#6 » by SNPA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:01 am

I am happy as a Kings fan.

Not because there’s anything wrong with Jordi, I hope it works out. I believe Doug Christie knows more about NBA defense and will help the Kings as the defensive coordinator, which is a role he damn well better get.
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 643

Post#7 » by FeatheryTouch » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:03 am

Jordi's got his work cut out for him coaching a low-ceiling/low floor squad with no elite talent and Sean Marks making yet another year of(bad) front office decisions.

Yikes.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,622

Post#8 » by nomansland » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:39 am

Good for him. Apparently he was very well-liked in Denver. But it seems like a thankless job.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 921

Post#9 » by Decipher » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:16 am

Cons

No idea about his ability

Would’ve waited to see if anyone else is available

Pros

Me having any idea about his ability is irrelevant

It’s not Doc
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,095

Post#10 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:46 am

Kurtz wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thoughts?

I’m wondering if he or whoever he has on staff can reach cam Thomas, or Ben Simmons, whitehead or sharpe. The nets have a lot of ego holding back the talent on that roster
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,823

Post#11 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:05 am

Third European, first non Serb to become NBA head coach. I believe, outside of USA, only Serbia and Canada had head coaches in the league, both countries had two representatives. First Spaniard, and only 4th. Nationality to coach NBA team.
If not mistaken that is. Looked way better than Kerr in world cup.
Berbasecks
Freshman
And1: 68

Post#12 » by Berbasecks » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:15 am

I still have David Blatt on my "international head coaches" list, despite him being a US national tbh.
I am beyond death
Midst a dreaming affinity
Saving strength now, faint whispers
Come erotic communion in its splendour
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,235

Post#13 » by lambchop » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 am

Kurtz wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thoughts?

I'm not taking anything away from him, but anyone who has worked with Canadians knows it's not difficult to get them to buy in. Just a friendly bunch of people imo. Also, looking at that roster, between SGA, Dort, Barrett, Olynyk etc. I just don't see how you could frustrate any of those guys, unless you ask them to play completely out of position and do stuff they're simply not good at at all.

Still great to see another Euro guy make the jump. Spain will be proud and Badalona will be proud too.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Post#14 » by Ralof » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am

seems a terrible choice.

nets should go for big free agents and so bring a top coach,not a young assistant.

does not make any sense to build,it's brooklyn,you are not building anything,just assemble big names.

btw they also have their picks to give to houston,really nonsense to me :crazy:
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:27 am

Berbasecks wrote:I still have David Blatt on my "international head coaches" list, despite him being a US national tbh.

Blatt is definitely the only guy who actually represented European coaching cicles, as in being long time Euroleague coach and a coach of Russian national team.
None of actual Euros, kokosvov, Hernandez nor Rajakovic had anything much to do with Euro coaching, they are all NBA products. Kokoskov coached Slovenian NT, but that was never some kind of huge, longlasting development. It is still funny to think Suns hired Kokoskov and picked Ayton over Doncic that very same summer, sometimes the comedy script writes itself.
BlueNGold
Sophomore
And1: 236

Post#16 » by BlueNGold » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:54 am

Where's the Snoop Dogg, "WHO?!" meme when you need it...
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,186

Post#17 » by God Squad » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 pm

He was my top 2 option for the Raptors HC gig. Apparently he's really good at getting guys to buy in. He did a great job with team Canada this summer.

IMO one of the better "new" hires in the league.
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 380

Post#18 » by Bloodbather » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Good coach. Team sucks. Fans will criticize him and say he doesn't know what he's doing.

I think the team sucks offensively as well, but they should've been far better defensively this season with the personnel they had. I would blame that mainly on the coaching. No reason why Nets couldn't be a grit 'n' grind, shithouse team this season with Claxton, O'Neale, Finney-Smith, Bridges, and DSJ. (Simmons too, but he didn't really play)
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#19 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:13 pm

Bloodbather wrote:

I think the team sucks offensively as well, but they should've been far better defensively this season with the personnel they had. I would blame that mainly on the coaching. No reason why Nets couldn't be a grit 'n' grind, shithouse team this season with Claxton, O'Neale, Finney-Smith, Bridges, and DSJ. (Simmons too, but he didn't really play)

Claxton stock seem to fell off big, last season he was talked as DPOY candidate.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,263

Post#20 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:15 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Bloodbather wrote:

Claxton stock seem to fell off big, last season he was talked as DPOY candidate.

Claxton struggles with the beefy center types (Val, Sengun, Jokic, Sabonis, Embiid, Brook). He can do well against Chet and Jarrett Allen, but when you put him against the hosses, he's in big trouble. His main value is his ability to switch onto small players or be a helpside defender. Paying him big money without an elite PF next to him doesn't really make a lot of sense.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."

Return to The General Board