Best 5 players over the past 25 years

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who would you build around? (Top 5 candidates)

Lebron
19%
Duncan
18%
Curry
16%
Jokic
16%
Shaq
15%
KG
3%
Giannis
3%
KD
3%
Luka
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 1002

One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,611

Re: Best 5 players over the past 25 years 

Post#21 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:17 am

bledredwine wrote:Shaq Lebron Jokic are on a tier of their own IMO. Then I've got Duncan Curry and a tier below, Luka.

Luka can change that... we'll see.

So after all that you have in fact taken the same 5 names I put at the top of the poll.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 570

Post#22 » by Gregoire » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:55 am

Curry
Joker
Lebron
Shaq
Duncan
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan
AEnigma wrote:
Jordan is not as smart a help defender as Kidd
LaLover11
Senior
And1: 450

Post#23 » by LaLover11 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 am

LeBron, KB24, Shaq, Duncan, Curry
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 286

Post#24 » by reddyplayerone » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:59 am

picc wrote:How long is it going to take everyone to realize every thread OP makes is just a way to facilitate his Kobe talking points?

I'm genuinely curious to see.

Everyone should just nod and agree with them on some "yeah Kobe totally sucks" stuff

Maybe then OP will go away
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#25 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 am

reddyplayerone wrote:
picc wrote:How long is it going to take everyone to realize every thread OP makes is just a way to facilitate his Kobe talking points?

Everyone should just nod and agree with them on some "yeah Kobe totally sucks" stuff

There's literally no need to discuss Kobe in this thread. He's not one of the 9 options, and you indicated you wouldn't vote for him anyway. Your complaint is self inflicted.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,087

Post#26 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:14 am

Your Luka fetish is getting a little annoying. If it's about what they've already shown at peak, Kawhi is clearly better. If it's about what they're likely to do going forward, Wemby is clearly a stronger candidate to build around. In no way is Luka a serious candidate for anything here.
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 286

Post#27 » by reddyplayerone » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:30 am

One_and_Done wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:

There's literally no need to discuss Kobe in this thread. He's not one of the 9 options, and you indicated you wouldn't vote for him anyway. Your complaint is self inflicted.

The jig is up kid
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#28 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 am

iggymcfrack wrote:Your Luka fetish is getting a little annoying. If it's about what they've already shown at peak, Kawhi is clearly better. If it's about what they're likely to do going forward, Wemby is clearly a stronger candidate to build around. In no way is Luka a serious candidate for anything here.

Wemby hasn't shown it yet though, and Kawhi lacks longevity to some degree despite peaking higher.
Waider
Junior
And1: 189

Post#29 » by Waider » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:46 am

Seeing the great names on this list (plus Kobe) only reinforces in my mind that the great Stephen Curry - who is a HOF lock and champion of the game - is overrated by those who have him.in the top 10 All Time. I have LeBron, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Jokic and Giannis ahead of him.
This is hardly even fair, the rest of the league is playing checkers and Danny Ainge is playing 12-dimensional chess.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,917

Post#30 » by bledredwine » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:07 am

One_and_Done wrote:
bledredwine wrote:Shaq Lebron Jokic are on a tier of their own IMO. Then I've got Duncan Curry and a tier below, Luka.

So after all that you have in fact taken the same 5 names I put at the top of the poll.

You and I actually agree on something? Fascinating! :D
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#31 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:27 am

bledredwine wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

I voted for KG over Jokic, but I listed the top 5 options based on who would likely get the nost votes.
Chokic
Senior
And1: 610

Post#32 » by Chokic » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:20 pm

Kobe
Lebron
Duncan
Curry
Shaq
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,917

Post#33 » by bledredwine » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:43 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
bledredwine wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:So after all that you have in fact taken the same 5 names I put at the top of the poll.

I voted for KG over Jokic, but I listed the top 5 options based on who would likely get the nost votes.

See, I didn't even realize this.

Those were just the best five IMO.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,087

Post#34 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:16 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:Your Luka fetish is getting a little annoying. If it's about what they've already shown at peak, Kawhi is clearly better. If it's about what they're likely to do going forward, Wemby is clearly a stronger candidate to build around. In no way is Luka a serious candidate for anything here.

Wemby hasn't shown it yet though, and Kawhi lacks longevity to some degree despite peaking higher.

Luka hasn’t shown it either. He hasn’t completed a single season as a top 5 player in the league. Any list with him as a potential top 5 player over a 25 year period would be about what you expect him to potentially do in the future. In that way he’s just like Wemby, only way with a WAY lower ceiling.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#35 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:35 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

Luka hasn’t shown it either. He hasn’t completed a single season as a top 5 player in the league. Any list with him as a potential top 5 player over a 25 year period would be about what you expect him to potentially do in the future. In that way he’s just like Wemby, only way with a WAY lower ceiling.

Luka has definitely been a top 5 player before.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,574

Post#36 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:This is hard, it’s a very good question. LeBron, Duncan, Curry are locks imo. Then Jokic or Shaq? KD?

KD over KG????? I could see shaq or Jokic for sure. But KD over KG? Come on man!
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#37 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:40 pm

Masigond wrote:While getting easily annoyed by Kobe stans myself, I think the bigger nuisance right now are One_and_Done's blatant baiting attempts to get into a discussion about Kobe to make the same arguments about him again and again. Been there, done that. Too many times already.

Agree, I'd not consider Kobe for this list. But just leave him there and let the Kobe fans make the bad vote.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#38 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Masigond wrote:While getting easily annoyed by Kobe stans myself, I think the bigger nuisance right now are One_and_Done's blatant baiting attempts to get into a discussion about Kobe to make the same arguments about him again and again. Been there, done that. Too many times already.

Agree, I'd not consider Kobe for this list. But just leave him there and let the Kobe fans make the bad vote.

There's an other option for off the wall picks, and currently relatively few people have taken that option. I'm trying to list the best 9 options next to other. It's impossible to pretend Kobe is one of them. Honestly, he's not even close to the toughest cut.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,446

Post#39 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:12 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

How in the world is Luka not a top 5 player in the league? Its Joker, Embiid, Giannis, Luka, and SGA or Tatum so there are your top 6 players
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#40 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

There's an other option for off the wall picks, and currently relatively few people have taken that option. I'm trying to list the best 9 options next to other. It's impossible to pretend Kobe is one of them. Honestly, he's not even close to the toughest cut.

I'd be happy to take Kobe over KD myself. And luka doesn't have the longevity.

Return to The General Board