Should The Suns Sell High On Kd & Booker if they lose in the 1st round

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,059

Re: Should The Suns Sell High On Kd & Booker if they lose in the 1st round 

Post#161 » by CobraCommander » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 pm

schnakenpopanz wrote:absolutely

Hellll yeah - I would move from all 3 if they lose in first round -

It not gonna get better -

Who you gonna get that’s gonna help?

Chris Paul …… 2014 Chris Paul -?

Dwight Howard- 2012 Dwight Howard ?
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,375

Post#162 » by Scalabrine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:28 pm

enigmatics wrote:Booker likely peaked with CP3.

Without a guy setting the table like that for him he's just a huge ego who happens to have the ability to drop a 50 burger every now and then vs. teams laying down in the regular season. He's not somebody who makes his teammates better around him or flashes any leadership qualities - that's a huge problem since he's being counted on as THE pillar of the organization.

I mean, I don't disagree with you, but going into this season the huge question mark surrounding this team was the lack of point guard. Devin Booker and Bradley Beal are not point guards and historically teams without real point guards have trouble, especially when games slow down.

Theres a reason that every other team has one.
Go Knicks!
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Post#163 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:36 pm

No such thing as selling high on KD. The only person stupid enough to give up much for him is Matt Ishbia. He is not getting much back now…
Gert42
Senior
And1: 213

Post#164 » by Gert42 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:49 pm

The other problem for Phoenix is no matter how high they sell on anyone, they are probably a worse team in the next 1-3 years, and they don't have control of their picks, so they will just be bad and have nothing to show for it.

I also agree with the other posters that Beal's is essentially untradeable now, especially with the new CBA rules.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Post#165 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:53 pm

Geniuses at work.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,748

Post#166 » by nzahir » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 am

What is KD worth now?

He (and TJ Warren) were traded in Feb of 2023 for Bridges, Cam Johnson, Crowder, 4 1sts (23, 25, 27, 29) and a swap in 28 and

I think TJ and Crowder are a wash

Can the Lakers get in at all?

Reaves, Rui, Vando/Vincent (for salary), JHS, 2024 1st, 2029 1st, 2031 1st, and a swap?

I think the 3 1sts and JHS equate to the suns 4 1sts. Swap is a swap

Reaves and Rui aren't as good as Bridges and Cam, but KD is now not a top 10 guy for a whole season. He was that 2 years ago and was arguably the best player in the world after the 2022 playoffs (yes Giannis won, but KD was great and his team was hurt). Also more injuries and age have piled up

Suns can then use some of the assets and some contracts (such as Vando, Little, and some of the picks and swap) for another guy or at least get a starting calibur point guard to start or come off the bench
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#167 » by WentzerWuver » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:11 am

Edrees wrote:Keep booker and get rid of KD and Beal, if you can get value
So you can get value? I would never break up a 3 headed monster due to overreaction so they can go into oblivion with value players like your Nets Lol

This is a league of stars and Durant is still the big draw in the valley of the Suns!
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,865

Post#168 » by Adelheid » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:11 am

trade all of them and rebuild early. Some PHO fans may want this to happen

oh yeah beal has ntc
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,177

Post#169 » by Edrees » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:13 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
So you can get value? I would never break up a 3 headed monster due to overreaction Lol

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I would break up any 3 headed monster if any of them was 35 years old on a repaired torn achilles. That fall off is is going to happen and it's going to be steep
louc1970
Senior
And1: 156

Post#170 » by louc1970 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 am

Suns have 35 y.o. Durant
Beal is old 30.
Gordon is 35.
Other than those guys and Booker, is there a player you can build around? No.
On top of that they gave 2 picks in the next 7 drafts. To get any youth they will be FA. The future is bleak.

Probably could send Durant somewhere like OKC or Houston for youth and picks.
OKC sends Giddey, Dort, Jaylin Williams and 3 FRPs.
Durant to Houston for Brooks, Sengun, Eason and Adams or J. Green. Include a FRP.
Durant could be the difference for those teams.

If you make one of those moves, you can then make the next step and possibly send Booker to ANYWHERE and get multiple FRPs
Can’t see anyone taking Beal unless assets are attached and a team needs salary to get off the floor.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 156

Post#171 » by louc1970 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:31 am

Adelheid wrote:trade all of them and rebuild early. Some PHO fans may want this to happen

oh yeah beal has ntc

Neal’s no trade means little. If the team goes into full rebuild, he will ask out.
If not, he can be the best paid cheerleader as I would be focused on the youth.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,425

Post#172 » by ThatBoyNick » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 am

Jalen, Amen, Whitmore + fillers and pick package for Booker is interesting to me.

Hard for me to get excited about KD to Houston, our core isn’t developed enough to do anything with him, but Booker is young enough, probably a whole lot tougher to get too.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#173 » by WentzerWuver » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 am

Edrees wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
So you can get value? I would never break up a 3 headed monster due to overreaction Lol

I would break up any 3 headed monster if any of them was 35 years old on a repaired torn achilles. That fall off is is going to happen and it's going to be steep

You have an issue with age which i do not. Its about star attraction in making the playoffs and filling seats. Just ask the Nets after they traded KD for value Lol

And a 3 headed monster team means 3 times the attraction which was a smart business decision by the Suns new owner.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#174 » by WentzerWuver » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:Jalen, Amen, Whitmore + fillers and pick package for Booker is interesting to me.

Hard for me to get excited about KD to Houston, our core isn’t developed enough to do anything with him, but Booker is young enough, probably a whole lot tougher to get too.
I love Booker but not that much. Amen is an untouchable in my book and Green is becoming a much better team scorer now that they have vets on the team to help him grow unlike in the past acting like a hero baller. They have a great mixture of players now and Houston would actually be worse if they make this suggested trade.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,597

Post#175 » by sikma42 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:15 am

You can only do that if you fire everyone involved in messing up their super talented core.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,021

Post#176 » by R-DAWG » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:51 pm

Wingy wrote:
In-N-Out 247 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
100%, Philly is an awful fit and Embiid isn't built for the playoffs, he can barely get there in one piece
the knicks would be sick..that's an awesome fit

What would a Durant to the Knicks trade look like?

I assume the Suns would want no part of Randle, but they do have other good pieces - Robinson, DiVincenzo, Hart, OG (opted in) and Bogdanovic (salary filler but also a useful player). Maybe two of DiVincenzo, Robinson or Hart along with Bogdanovic could work

This is the exact kind of trade that takes a good team with strong chemistry and wrecking balls it for the worse by removing several good players that make the team good and trading them out for an aging star. Like LA and the Westbrook trade.

Maybe KD works well on the court in a vacuum being dropped in out of nowhere and added to the current roster, but how does it work once you consider reality and salary matching? This isn’t the GSW and the one-off cap spike.

Agree with In N Out that I doubt the Suns would want to take on Randle. Might as well just keep KD at that point. Then if NY trades all those really good, but lesser name players for KD (they would have to for salary match) they’ve completely lost their identity and become more like Suns East. At least NY would have pick assets to build unlike PHX, but still. Def not the guy I target if I’m the Knicks. KD’s name is way disproportionate to his game at this stage of his career.

I agree that for the Knicks the only way this makes sense is a Randle for Durant swap - with picks and say cap filler to a third team.

Let's use this baseline trade:

NYK: Kevin Durant, Nassir Little
PHX: Julius Randle, 2024 1st Rd pick from NYK (#24), 2025 NYK unprotected 1st rd pick, 2025 MIL 1st Rd Pick (Top-4 protected)
3rd Team: NYK Cap Filler, 2nd rd picks via NYK

You can play around with the picks if you want, maybe add some 2nds, but this is the basic framework

From the suns perspective, this trade drops them to a payroll of $171,610,430 for 8 players (assuming all vet min guys opt out and they use picks #20 and #24). Keeping Little still leaves them $16,250,000 below the 2nd apron - enough room to use the $5,183,000 taxpayer mid level and have enough room to round out the roster with min salary players. This also creates some flexibility to use the picks acquired in the Durant deal (along with assumed created TPE's) to build a roster.

A roster with a $50MM player that doesn't perform like a $50MM player is always going to be flawed, but who's to say that Beal can't be Beal anymore. Personally, I think this team desperately needs a point guard and I would target Malcolm Brogdon from POR, even if it resulted in being a 2nd apron team again:

Brogdon-Beal-Booker-Randle-Nurkic
Bench anchored by Grayson Allen, 2 2024 1st rd picks and David Roddy

There are other ways to skin this cat and stay below the 2nd apron - maybe a Nurkic for Brogdon swap taking back Mitchell Robinson from the Knicks. Could all the draft capital from NY get you Dejonte Murray from ATL?

You can see a world where PHX sees this kind of rebuild being attractive, even if the long term upside isn't the same as KD.

And from the Knicks perspective, your building a 1-3 year window to compete with Brunson and Durant.

Brunson-DDV-Anunoby-Durant-Hartenstein
McBride-Hart-Bogdonovic

Use the 2024 1st on a backup C and that's a complete rotation.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,367

Post#177 » by Gusto1903 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:04 pm

For sure, if they get swept. But who would put up an acceptable package for KD?
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
Chokic
Senior
And1: 618

Post#178 » by Chokic » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

Yes. Booker is not a winner. Youre not going far with him as a 1st or even 2nd option. Kd is still great but he's a shell of himself w/ all the injuries.
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,596

Post#179 » by Baz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:41 pm

Chokic wrote:Yes. Booker is not a winner. Youre not going far with him as a 1st or even 2nd option. Kd is still great but he's a shell of himself w/ all the injuries.

Booker was 2 wins away from being a champion as a 1st option not many years ago
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#180 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:00 pm

Hard no.

New coach.
New ownership.
New roster(only Okogie, Book, KD, Lee and Lee from previous season).
Roster turn over mid season(Bates diop, Metu, Yuta all gone with Royce Oneale taking their role).
Multiple injuries that hampered chemistry buikding through out the season.

You address PG with a vet in on offseason, draft a big man with the 1st rounder and see what a full summer of continuity and building chemistry does.

Return to The General Board