Bow Down to Spo. "Again??" Yes, Again

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,714

Re: Bow Down to Spo. "Again??" Yes, Again 

Post#81 » by kingr » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:40 pm

Meh... The heat shot 23-43 from three. That's insane. Outlier game.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#82 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:52 pm

kingr wrote:Meh... The heat shot 23-43 from three. That's insane. Outlier game.

They did something similar to the Warriors this year in regular season. They were out star players but were dropping threes every where. I thought Kerr was severely out coached in that game. Warriors had more talent than them but they didn’t make the adjustments. Spo put them in the best position to succeed. That’s all you can ask for from a coach. There is some luck involved with dropping threes, but since I’ve seen it done to another team, I don’t think it’s a random accident.
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,610

Post#83 » by Meeksology » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 pm

Tito Spoelstra!
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,872

Post#84 » by JShuttlesworth » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:46 pm

Spo is a great coach, the Heat always seem to extract the maximum potential from their roster
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#85 » by lars_rosenberg » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:02 pm

I remember when Spo was considered a mediocre coach at the beginning of the LeBron-Heat era. How things have changed.
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,965

Post#86 » by Eagle4 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:25 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:Im surprised it only looks like a single thread about the heat win last night.

Celtics played like dumbasses
Joe ran drop coverage all game
Heat got hot and made 58% of their threes
Kp and Jrue forgot to show up
Joe played them alot anyways

Heat won.

Congrats, you stole a game because the celtics gave it to you.
such a pompous bunch. What happened to sweep by 20+ points? :lol: :lol:
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,379

Post#87 » by Hoop Hunter » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:30 pm

Great coach. I remember when LeBron was there, every day someone was calling Spo the worst and he should be fired.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,846

Post#88 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:33 pm

Tough to beat any team when they hit 23 threes...that's crazy.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,846

Post#89 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:34 pm

Hoop Hunter wrote:Great coach. I remember when LeBron was there, every day someone was calling Spo the worst and he should be fired.

Thank god the Heat had Riley because a lot of GMs would have probably listened to Lebron and fired Spo after the Heat lost in 2011.

It's here that I feel bad for a guy like David Blatt, who was one of the most decorated coaches in the world for decades, won multiple Euro league titles, led Russia to a bronze medal in the Olympics, and he gets fired despite the Cavaliers taking the Warriors to 6 without Love and Kyrie.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,252

Post#90 » by lambchop » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:36 pm

Hoop Hunter wrote:Great coach. I remember when LeBron was there, every day someone was calling Spo the worst and he should be fired.

It was definitely a flawed narrative. Nevertheless, Spo and the entire heat squad were being scrutinized every single game. Now the Heat are a perennial play-in team that flys under the radar for the whole season, until they start beating up higher seeded teams for fun.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,108

Post#91 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:44 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Old Dirk + other old guys beat Spo + Lebron + Bosh + Wade, damn they were good.

Dirk wasn't "old". He was arguably the 2nd best player in the league behind only Lebron. And dismissing Kidd and Marion and JET as "old" is nearly as reductive.

This ain't it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,847

Post#92 » by Marrrcuss » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:57 pm

Trey24 wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:If Lebron stayed with Spo and the Heat after 2014, does he win more or less than 2 rings?

Remember when Lebron tried to get Spo fired?

yep, Spo was absolutely as good in his first year as he is now....which this stupidly infers, lol
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,884

Post#93 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:58 pm

MrBigShot wrote:The gap between Spo and the 2nd best coach in the league right now is massive

Thibs is pretty elite.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by Marrrcuss » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:58 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Old Dirk + other old guys beat Spo + Lebron + Bosh + Wade, damn they were good.

Dirk wasn't "old". He was arguably the 2nd best player in the league behind only Lebron. And dismissing Kidd and Marion and JET as "old" is nearly as reductive.

This ain't it.

I had not heard those two guys mentioned in a long long time. Only JJ Berea, lol
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#95 » by Marrrcuss » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:58 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:The gap between Spo and the 2nd best coach in the league right now is massive

Thibs is pretty elite.

The way Denver executes down the stretch is something to consider.
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,693

Post#96 » by PierceFan4ever » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 pm

Personally think he’s the goat coach. Nobody makes better adjustments than he does.
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,459

Post#97 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:01 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

This ain't it.

The following are the oldest teams to have won an NBA championship:
Championship Team Weighted Age (WAGE)
1. 1997-98 Chicago Bulls 32.096
2. 2010-11 Dallas Mavericks 31.607
3. 1968-69 Boston Celtics 30.914
4. 1996-97 Chicago Bulls 30.790

I'd say collectively they were pretty dang old if they were the second oldest team to win a championship.
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,108

Post#98 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:03 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

This ain't it.

I'd say collectively they were pretty dang old if they were the second oldest team to win a championship.

Yeah but you are using "old" to say bad in order to be dismissive of how good Spo is. The Mavs might have been old, but they were also really good (hence the whole championship thing).

It's fair to sports hate the Heat. I do too, but we should also give greatness credit. Makes us look petty to not.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 932

Post#99 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:11 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Spo and Udoka are some of the best coaches. As a rockets fan I'm thankful for that front office execs wife who had an affair with Ime lol

He led you guys to that impressive .500 record and couldn't even make the play-in. Impressive stuff from Ime. Seriously, is anyone more overrated than Ime at this point? He inherited one of the best young bigs in the game (Sengun), recent top 3 picks in Smith and Green, Eason, draft picks Thompson and Whitmore and they went out and spent money and resources to add Brooks and VanVleet and a .500 record is all Ime was able to accomplish despite all the injuries and tanking that happened in the West?

And he only got to .500 because of their easy schedule in March:

Clippers sat all their starters last game of the season
Bulls
Wizards x 2
Jazz x 2
Spurs x 2
Trailblazers X 3

He's a fraud. Let's revisit this conversation next offseason. You'll come around.

He made the NBA finals in his only season coaching Boston.

Sengun was injured in March

How many games did you expect the rockets to win this season?

He inherited easily the most talented team in the Eastern Conference. And Brad traded for Horford and Richardson. Then traded for White at the deadline making them much better than the previous season.

They beat the Nets without Harden and Harris. They beat the Bucks without Middleton and it took 7 games to do so. They beat a Heat team decimated by injuries with a gimped Lowry missing two games, a gimped Herro missing three games and Butler hampered as well and it took 7 games. A rookie coach in Mazzulla, taking over a week before the season having lost pivotal assistants, won just three less games than Udoka. If Tatum doesn't roll his ankle in Game 7 versus the Heat they're likely in the Finals.

Rockets fans if asked before the season if they thought going .500 and ending as the 11th seed and out of the play-in was acceptable given how much talent is on the team and Ime's supposed great coaching would be okay with that? I expected exactly how many games they won because I know Ime is a fraud. Literally anyone could have coached that much talent to that record. If not for 11 wins in March against tanking teams it'd look so much worse.

I have no dog in the fight but when he acted the fool I did some research into why he was so highly respected and I just didn't get it. Not only is a despicable husband and person he isn't even a good coach. I think you'll come to agree with me when we're sitting here next year and the Rockets have failed to make the playoffs. Who will they be better than that finished above them? And two teams, the Spurs and Grizzlies, that finished below them will be much improved. It could get ugly and when it does he seems the type to point fingers and not take accountability. I'm not sure he'll see a Year 3 with the team. And if he does, it'll be his last.
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,459

Post#100 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:18 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

This ain't it.

Yeah but you are using "old" to say bad in order to be dismissive of how good Spo is. The Mavs might have been old, but they were also really good (hence the whole championship thing).

It's fair to sports hate the Heat. I do too, but we should also give greatness credit. Makes us look petty to not.

I never said they weren't good. But no one can deny Miami had more star power and they were younger, that's all I meant. They had 3 of the best 4 players in those Finals.

Marion for example was getting max contracts when he was younger, he signed with Dallas for the MLE. Kidd was 38.

Return to The General Board