Jokic is the best player since Jordan

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Kawaii Leonard
Junior
And1: 484

Re: Jokic is the best player since Jordan 

Post#361 » by Kawaii Leonard » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:58 am

I glaze Jokic like the next man, but the future isn’t set in stone. I’ll even take peak Hakeem without an afterthought.
WarriorGM wrote:Steph is the greatest playmaker of all-time.
metalinguss
Veteran
And1: 1,890

Post#362 » by metalinguss » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:07 am

I’d still take peak Shaq, LeBron and Timmy but not mad at this take.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 7,888

Post#363 » by AleksandarN » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:55 am

Looks like Jokic is a gate keeper of MJs legacy as I see no way Lebron gets past him in the West. Ends his championship chances.
HEAT33
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#364 » by HEAT33 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:07 am

I think Jokic will start entering the "Jordan" debate.
EscapoTHB wrote:I think the 92 dream team would get beat by a lot of the top international teams today.

:lol:
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,749

Post#365 » by Johnny Firpo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:36 am

metalinguss wrote:I’d still take peak Shaq, LeBron and Timmy but not mad at this take.

I would take MJ and Bron too, but no way I would take Timmy. The difference on offense is just enormous. Well, actually, I would take Duncan for the Mavs for example, so there are exceptions. :lol:
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,601

Post#366 » by Asianiac_24 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:06 am

Watching the 2017-2018 LeBron, it would be hard pressed to imagine a player better than that as a scorer and playmaker, but Jokic is that. Offensively Jokic can be argued as the GOAT.
Deshaun Taden
Junior
And1: 425

Post#367 » by Deshaun Taden » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:18 am

You never know, lots of careers start out amazing but then age and injury catch up and it just turns out they didn't dominate quite as hard and as long as you'd need to to be in that GOAT convo.

Even for LBJ, what's hurting him isn't a lack of his own ability, but the fact that Steph Curry's GSW existed, and got KD to join them. What if down the line Luka and ANT team up? Would Joker actually beat that combo?

Who knows. Jordan is Jordan because all comers failed against him for a sustained period. Magic's Lakers did lose that 1 year they faced each other. And then Magic got HIV (perhaps he already had it, I don't remember) and was out for the remainder of his prime. Just to put it in perspective, Magic at 31 already had 5 championships and 3 MVPs. Michael Jordan at 31 had 3 championships and 3 MVPs. If both their careers end at 31, who is the better player all time? It would probably still be an argument today. What if instead of Magic missing the rest of his prime, it was Jordan, and Magic ended up piling up 2 more MVPs and 3 more titles? Is Magic the undisputed GOAT? What if both got their primes, and traded chips and MVPs? Of course there is no answer, it's what ifs, who knows?

But that is my point. Jokic could end up the GOAT, or at least slot into that convo probably behind MJ. Or maybe it doesn't work out, he never wins another title or another MVP (he really should have another MVP this year, which would give him 3, but maybe not another one after) and then the narrative completely changes. People drop him like cold product. Maybe Luka or ANT are the hot new thing, and the beat goes on.

Personally I think right now Joker looks like both KAJ and Magic. Which would get him past MJ if he's healthy and can deliver championships. The team is good enough, they're in their primes, they even look like they have talent for a retooling for another run after their current run(s). But it's really not something that can be predicted, we can only speculate and cross our fingers. Sure would be fun though. I liked watching MJ as much as anyone else, but the real fun was KAJ and Magic. And it's been too long, so it's about time younger fans got to see what it's like modernized.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,965

Post#368 » by bledredwine » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:14 am

HEAT33 wrote:I think Jokic will start entering the "Jordan" debate.

Without a doubt. Kobe did. Lebron did. Jokic is clearly next.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,967

Post#369 » by KembaWalker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm

I wonder how long till the LeBron fans start saying “well he’s never done anything without Murray” like they do with MJ/Pip and dismiss LeBrons list of two dozen all star teammates :lol:
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 474

Post#370 » by Ssj16 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:46 pm

Some weird takes that I'm seeing is that peak Curry is greater than peak Jokic. If you compare Curry's run (which had KD at one point) to Jokic's run, I don't see it.

Also, claiming that Duncan and Spurs were miles ahead of Jokic and the Nuggets, I also don't get this take either.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,965

Post#371 » by bledredwine » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:34 pm

Ssj16 wrote:Some weird takes that I'm seeing is that peak Curry is greater than peak Jokic. If you compare Curry's run (which had KD at one point) to Jokic's run, I don't see it.

Also, claiming that Duncan and Spurs were miles ahead of Jokic and the Nuggets, I also don't get this take either.

Curry would have that comparison if he translated his peak season performance into the playoffs.
But unfortunately, he was not the same that entire playoffs and hasn't been that regular season level since.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,524

Post#372 » by Jaqua92 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:28 pm

I'll die on this hill.

Jordan from 88-92, LeBron from 10-14 are the only two players I'd definitively take above this 2021-2024 Jokic.

Shaq and Hakeem you could certainly convince me.

Everyone else? There's been no one better. Curry's 2016 regular season peak? 100%. As good as any LeBron or MJ season imo. But he never reached that height again, and never touched it in the playoffs.

For Jokic's great regular season performances, he's been even better in the post season.

Since his first MVP, he's avged like 31/12/8 in the playoffs.

These first 3 games vs LA he's played entirely passive, with clearly a lot of fuel in the tank.

28/16/9 70% TS through 3 games.

There's no one close in the NBA. Jokic may never reach top 10 all time. But it's downright ignorant to suggest this isn't a top 5 peak of all time. We've never seen a center like this before.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,053

Post#373 » by Effigy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:36 pm

Jhawk03 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:He's more skilled and his peak is similar but he's going to need a few more rings before we can even have this discussion

Pretty sure OP is talking about just skill alone and he is right...

Jokic is one of the goats...

Hope this thread doesnt get derailed by people going BUT RINGZZZ...

That's all that matters, you do know that right?

Green font?
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,929

Post#374 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:10 pm

QPR wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Jokic is simply not good enough defensively to be at the level of Jordan/LeBron.

People say this a lot without considering the gap Jokic has on offense.

There is no between prime LeBron or Jordan on offense. You can't be serious.
JLM
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#375 » by JLM » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:32 pm

Pistol_Pete wrote:
JLM wrote:
Pistol_Pete wrote:This is ridiculous. I love Joker, but Shaq was such an anomaly in this game. There was no answer to him. Pure dominance. Defensively, offensively…Joker needs a lot more years to catch up to him, for now, its not really up for debate. A ring this year and maybe another 2 in his career and then maybe we can have a discussion.

Well what is the answer for Jokic?

There is none.

All I’m saying is, its still early in Jokic’s career. Let his career blossom and then we can compare him to the absolute greats of the game if it warrants doing so. Joker with 1 ring is not enough to measure up to Shaq. In 3-4 years time, if Joker continues on his trajectory, we may look back at this post and laugh - maybe he’ll have surpassed everyone ? Either way, too early to tell.

Fair enough! That we can agree on.

Return to The General Board