2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (MIN WINS 4-3)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the WCFs?

Nuggets
48%
Wolves
52%

Total votes: 178

MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,568

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (MIN leads 2-0) 

Post#4001 » by MrGoat » Fri May 10, 2024 9:37 pm

This is the game I'm waiting for tonight. Lost interest in Knicks Pacers after seeing the game 1 reffing but Minnesota having the defending champs this backed into a corner on their return home makes this one really interesting. Denver's really under the gun here and this game will determine whether this is a series or not
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,549

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (MIN leads 2-0) 

Post#4002 » by BigGargamel » Fri May 10, 2024 9:41 pm

I'm probably going to be watching this one tonight on mute with my hands over my face peeking between my fingers like a horror movie. :lol:

Denver had four days to calm down, accept that it won't be easy this time and figure it out, if they don't come out strong it's over. No excuses anymore.
tsamo
Junior
And1: 212

Post#4003 » by tsamo » Fri May 10, 2024 9:41 pm

In my mind, surely the Nuggets will take one right? Maybe even tonight?
Ain't no way they are done that easily while being relatively healthy.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,808

Post#4004 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 9:45 pm

tsamo wrote:In my mind, surely the Nuggets will take one right? Maybe even tonight?
Ain't no way they are done that easily while being relatively healthy.

The Wolves are gonna be on another level tonight. I explained why on a prior post I believe one page back. Cliff notes, first home game in 16 days, first time a franchise player won a specific award, tonight 4 players are presented their trophies, and high energy team playing in normal altitude with perfect conditioning after 4 days off. Denver will have to play their a game to score 90. Only way the Nuggets can keep it to single digits is the refs, and even then it has to be one sided (which wouldn’t surprise me.)
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,305

Post#4005 » by DonaldSanders » Fri May 10, 2024 9:50 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:I find it interesting that the national narrative has been variations of "I was blown away by Minnesota's defense".

People are loving the idea of real, physical defense - while also being totally sick and tired of foul hunting.

That along with the idea that the league was apparently trying to head in this direction more post ASG, makes me hope the officials will not be the main show going forward...

Yeah I mean I hope I'm completely wrong and everything you said is true when I hear fans talk... but after this game I definitely did not see the refs calling it like the last game in the series. I want to see defenders be allowed to defend, and have the right to space... and the times when everyone knows the offensive player is just jumping into someone have them not be rewarded.
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 603

Post#4006 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Fri May 10, 2024 9:51 pm

Sealab2024 wrote:
KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:
Doranku wrote:
Excited to see what Joker is made of. He's never been in a position like this with a team capable of winning.

He's got to put up 20+ shots tonight right? I want to see a takeover game from him...a statement game. I think this has to happen at some point...a contested Jokic floater over Gobert has to be better than the Murray ISOs or pick and roll mid rangers.

The number is 25. If you can force Jokic to shoot 25 shots the Nuggets winning percentage plummets. One would think the answer would be Joker all night long but that's not how the nuggets win. They win by Joker doing just enough to draw double teams off picks that get teams into rotation or zoning on the weak side and letting Nikola pick teams apart. When they need iso buckets like that they that they generally go with Murray.

Yes I agree this is their winning formula, however what do you do when it stops working or simply the players aren't hitting shots? Is 2-0 enough to force them to try different plays? 3-0? Or will they trust this offense for the whole series win or lose? Another stinker from Murray even if he hits another game winning shot like in the Lakers series won't last forever. At some point there has to be someone who needs to go get an easy bucket or hit the open jump shot. Really curious to see their response tonight
winforlose
General Manager

Post#4007 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 10:10 pm

KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:
KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:He's got to put up 20+ shots tonight right? I want to see a takeover game from him...a statement game. I think this has to happen at some point...a contested Jokic floater over Gobert has to be better than the Murray ISOs or pick and roll mid rangers.

The number is 25. If you can force Jokic to shoot 25 shots the Nuggets winning percentage plummets. One would think the answer would be Joker all night long but that's not how the nuggets win. They win by Joker doing just enough to draw double teams off picks that get teams into rotation or zoning on the weak side and letting Nikola pick teams apart. When they need iso buckets like that they that they generally go with Murray.

Yes I agree this is their winning formula, however what do you do when it stops working or simply the players aren't hitting shots? Is 2-0 enough to force them to try different plays? 3-0? Or will they trust this offense for the whole series win or lose? Another stinker from Murray even if he hits another game winning shot like in the Lakers series won't last forever. At some point there has to be someone who needs to go get an easy bucket or hit the open jump shot. Really curious to see their response tonight

When Karl guards Joker he isn’t a good shooter. I cannot put it any more plainly. He is shooting I believe 42 percent (saw the number somewhere recently.) Even Naz had a profound impact on Joker last game. The only one he can score on is Rudy, and that won’t last very long. So, if the Nuggets want to throw all their eggs in that basket, they will enjoy a nice long vacation starting Sunday night. They want to try and win a game, they must find a way to get KCP, AG, and MPJ going.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,548

Post#4008 » by BlacJacMac » Fri May 10, 2024 10:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Minnesota has dominated, and won, its first six playoff games with its ferocious defense, just as Oklahoma City and Boston have. Minnesota defenders aren’t pushing and shoving or hacking; they’re moving their feet, beating the Nuggets to their favored spots on the floor and not giving up those spots easily. The Wolves aren’t doing anything dirty. They’re just making manifesting misery for their opponent.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#4009 » by Cubbies2120 » Fri May 10, 2024 10:18 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:

When Karl guards Joker he isn’t a good shooter. I cannot put it any more plainly. He is shooting I believe 42 percent (saw the number somewhere recently.) Even Naz had a profound impact on Joker last game. The only one he can score on is Rudy, and that won’t last very long. So, if the Nuggets want to throw all their eggs in that basket, they will enjoy a nice long vacation starting Sunday night. They want to try and win a game, they must find a way to get KCP, AG, and MPJ going.

I’ll be in Brooklyn Park the week after next and fully expect to watch the teams. Take that as you will lol
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,135

Post#4010 » by Potential » Fri May 10, 2024 10:22 pm

Nuggets catching serious heat right now for posting this bs. Every single score is the Nuggets losing and most of them are the Nuggets getting blown out

Read on Twitter
winforlose
General Manager

Post#4011 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 10:33 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:

I’ll be in Brooklyn Park the week after next and fully expect to watch the teams. Take that as you will lol

You might be in luck. Depending on what happens and in how many games you might be able to watch game 1 or 2 of the Wolves vs Mavs.
Sealab2024
Senior
And1: 777

Post#4012 » by Sealab2024 » Fri May 10, 2024 10:35 pm

KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:
KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:He's got to put up 20+ shots tonight right? I want to see a takeover game from him...a statement game. I think this has to happen at some point...a contested Jokic floater over Gobert has to be better than the Murray ISOs or pick and roll mid rangers.

The playoffs are a chess game. You do this and I respond with that and then you do..... A constant press and response on both sides of the floo wiith multiple moving piecesi. Constant adjustments based on what's happening in real time.

However, there can come a point where the king is checkmated. There are no more moves to make. Suddenly the series becomes what it will be. One team figures out the other and there are no more moves. That's where we're at. The Wolves have solved their two man game and they're stuck.

This doesn't mean the Wolves can't go cold or that Denver can't get hot and steal a game, maybe 2. But they're going into one of the most out of pocket arenas in the league and if you thought Ant was brilliant before wait till he starts orchestrating that crowd in the playoffs. They already eat out of his hands... My guess is this all goes south for Denver in the 3rd quarter and that'll be that.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,912

Post#4013 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 10, 2024 10:35 pm

winforlose wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

You might be in luck. Depending on what happens and in how many games you might be able to watch game 1 or 2 of the Wolves vs Mavs.

Love the confidence for my team, appreciate it. But it's just 1-1.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#4014 » by winforlose » Fri May 10, 2024 10:38 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:

Love the confidence for my team, appreciate it. But it's just 1-1.

Mavs have size, and Mavs have the better players. Mavs in 5 or 6.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,815

Post#4015 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 11:06 pm

If Denver wins tonight blame Shaq. He might have unlocked the Nuggets with those comments about Jokic.
TinmanZBoy
General Manager
And1: 4,850

Post#4016 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri May 10, 2024 11:09 pm

Potential wrote:Nuggets catching serious heat right now for posting this bs. Every single score is the Nuggets losing and most of them are the Nuggets getting blown out

Read on Twitter

That is because Defense travels, be it at home or on the road… the TWolves explored their matchups to the extreme, without a little referring help, I can’t see nuggets stay in the game… a big drawback of nuggets team is they rely on a dude who likes to dribble but can’t dribble against them… they seriously need a secondary ball handler on the court…
If I were Malone, I’d start with P Watson and C Braun to desist TWolves first wave punches… they gradually bring Murray and KCP in to play against the bench…
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,652

Post#4017 » by Jaqua92 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:10 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Read on Twitter

Minnesota has dominated, and won, its first six playoff games with its ferocious defense, just as Oklahoma City and Boston have. Minnesota defenders aren’t pushing and shoving or hacking; they’re moving their feet, beating the Nuggets to their favored spots on the floor and not giving up those spots easily. The Wolves aren’t doing anything dirty. They’re just making manifesting misery for their opponent.

The Wolves are a story.

But make no mistake. They're fouling every possession. That viral video of Murray being doubled is just loaded with fouls that would normally be called.

Minnesota has defensive talent, but they absolutely are playing the foul every possession and dare the refs to call it brand of defense Miami has shown to be tolerable by the league in the post season.

Question becomes if Denver pushes back. A good, physical defense will give the Wolves absolute fits, and will be their downfall either in the conference finals or the finals.

Don't think Denver is healthy enough to match physicality though.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,652

Post#4018 » by Jaqua92 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:12 pm

I'm just not digging the whole crowning Minnesota as the bonafide obvious champion of the season yet. Its downright silly.

They won't win it all this year.
TinmanZBoy
General Manager

Post#4019 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri May 10, 2024 11:12 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:If Denver wins tonight blame Shaq. He might have unlocked the Nuggets with those comments about Jokic.

Nah, Joker does not care one way or the other, he wants to win the game, but has his own way… he needs to be a little more aggressive, don’t just watch Murray dribbling around
TinmanZBoy
General Manager

Post#4020 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri May 10, 2024 11:14 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Wolves are a story.

But make no mistake. They're fouling every possession. That viral video of Murray being doubled is just loaded with fouls that would normally be called.

Minnesota has defensive talent, but they absolutely are playing the foul every possession and dare the refs to call it brand of defense Miami has shown to be tolerable by the league in the post season.

Question becomes if Denver pushes back. A good, physical defense will give the Wolves absolute fits, and will be their downfall either in the conference finals or the finals.

Don't think Denver is healthy enough to match physicality though.

Nuggets need referees help for sure

Return to The General Board