2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS WINS 4-1)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins and goes to the ECFs?

Celtics in 4
24%
Celtics in 5
47%
Celtics in 6
15%
Celtics in 7
2%
Cavaliers in 4
1%
Cavaliers in 5
2%
Cavaliers in 6
5%
Cavaliers in 7
4%

Total votes: 258

Blacksheep25
Rookie
And1: 1,317

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#1161 » by Blacksheep25 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:34 pm

Cavs are +690
Boston -1250

Price at my book for series, so split the difference and Vegas sees it as roughly 10%. I think it’s more 20% because I think Allen and Wade returning seems likely a few games ahead of Porzingas. Whether any play is up in the air. I think Allen is best shot.

I’m probably going to grab some of that +690, because if Cavs manage to win game 3, they’ll offer me a buyout where I can make a few hundred and if they win either, I can still cash out for my original bet.

Celtics are very good and they have games like this. Tatum being a lesser player in the playoffs doesn’t shock me. It’s become the norm. I don’t see their other guys having a game that bad again. I have a lot of respect for guys like White.

I was worried about this scenario saving JBB’s job. Mazzulla and Kidd are the only two coaches who he can seem competent next to. If they won the series, it would almost be worth suffering him again. But I fear they win another game and losing in 6 gives the false impression he’s competent.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,628

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 1-0) 

Post#1162 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:35 pm

Dirk wrote:Image

I thought the decision to go sleeveless was brave.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#1163 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:41 pm

I really don't understand the hate Tatum is getting. He was the Celtics best player last night and with Porzingis out, he's being asked to play PF for real. Guard play is why the Celtics lost.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,472

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 1-0) 

Post#1164 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 10, 2024 7:50 pm

The Corey's wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
I think it's mad to expect the Cavs to win this series if healthy.
They won a game without Wade and Allen last night, i don't think it is that far fetched to assume the Cavs would have a punchers chance with those 2 healthy, if the C's were still without KP.

But maybe none of Wade, Allen, or KP play in the series and it is all moot.

So what. It amazes me that people think like this. Why is it you don't consider the fact that had they been playing Mobley doesn't have 21 points?

His aggression set the tone and pace for the Cavs.

It changes the whole game and maybe it doesn't unfold that way.

Had KP been playing then maybe the Celtics aren't 1 for whatever the hell it was from 3 point land from White, Brown and Jrue.

The Celtics always have a game like this. If they have another one then I'll concede that a healthy Cavs team might have a chance but then it'll only really be about the Celtics and their tendency to get distracted and take their foot off the pedal.

I'm sorry not sorry. A healthy Celtics team really should cake walk to a title this year. That's how I view this roster.

Are you the fan in charge of jinxing the Celtics this season?
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,472

Post#1165 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I really don't understand the hate Tatum is getting. He was the Celtics best player last night and with Porzingis out, he's being asked to play PF for real. Guard play is why the Celtics lost.

Same reason as always ... as the #1 option, he's expected to close games.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,988

Post#1166 » by The Corey's » Fri May 10, 2024 8:09 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:They won a game without Wade and Allen last night, i don't think it is that far fetched to assume the Cavs would have a punchers chance with those 2 healthy, if the C's were still without KP.

But maybe none of Wade, Allen, or KP play in the series and it is all moot.

So what. It amazes me that people think like this. Why is it you don't consider the fact that had they been playing Mobley doesn't have 21 points?

His aggression set the tone and pace for the Cavs.

It changes the whole game and maybe it doesn't unfold that way.

Had KP been playing then maybe the Celtics aren't 1 for whatever the hell it was from 3 point land from White, Brown and Jrue.

The Celtics always have a game like this. If they have another one then I'll concede that a healthy Cavs team might have a chance but then it'll only really be about the Celtics and their tendency to get distracted and take their foot off the pedal.

I'm sorry not sorry. A healthy Celtics team really should cake walk to a title this year. That's how I view this roster.

Are you the fan in charge of jinxing the Celtics this season?

Celtics in 5 baby.
Blaze4G
Pro Prospect
And1: 952

Post#1167 » by Blaze4G » Fri May 10, 2024 8:26 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Blaze4G wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

I think Boston will still win the series, but there's a pretty big difference in talent level between the Heat team the Celtics faced and this Cavs team.

"Everything went great for Cleveland" - lets dive into that:

Cavs - 13/28 on 3s, and a TON of wide open looks - there were also a ton of open looks in game one, but less went down - 13/28 with good looks is.....not what Miami did in game two.

Free throws:

Cavs - 11/16
Boston - 20/24

Two fold here - first, Boston got to the line more despite the Cavs attempting more shots closer to the rim - that's fine, but that definitely did "not go the Cavs way". Second, the Cavs were pretty bad from the free throw line, while the Celtics were good.

The Cavs turned the ball over 10 times, the Celtics 7.

Again, I think Boston should win the series - however, the main reason the Cavs won this game - rebounding and then scoring/defending the paint - are things that SHOULD happen in this series. There is no decent rim protector on the Celtics, while it is something Mobley is great at.

From the Cavs perspective, we should be able to score in the paint and rebound. We should shoot free throws better. And if the looks are THAT open, we should be close to13/28 from 3.

I'm sure Boston will adjust on the latter and the defensive intensity will ramp up, and they won't shoot as bad as they did last night every game.

Lets actually dive into the numbers
Cavs - 13/28 on 3s, and a TON of wide open looks - there were also a ton of open looks in game one, but less went down - 13/28 with good looks is.....not what Miami did in game two.
In game 2 these are the stats:
Cavs shot 10-22 on wide to wide open 3s, 3-6 for tightly defended 3s
Celtics shot 7-27 wide to wide open 3s, 1-8 for tightly defended 3s
Celtics created 22% more wide open 3s but only made 26% of them while the Cavs made 45% of theirs.

Two fold here - first, Boston got to the line more despite the Cavs attempting more shots closer to the rim - that's fine, but that definitely did "not go the Cavs way". Second, the Cavs were pretty bad from the free throw line, while the Celtics were good.

Cavs ranked 24th in getting to the line and 22nd in making their FT. So expecting them to get to the line more and make shoot better from FT line doesn't make sense. Sure, they shot a bit worse than their season average, but the Cavs are not a good FT shooting team.

Out of the 89 games the Celtics played thus far this season, game 2 against cavs is ranked 84th of 89 in points per possession for the Celtics. The Celtics gave up 1.283 points per position, ranked 87 of 89 in games this year. If you want to believe the Celtics will play at almost their absolute worst in Offense and Defense for the entire season then that seems quite unrealistic.

I was talking about THIS game where the Cavs attacked the basket relentlessly, not the FT rate for the regular season - because you said "everything went the Cavs way", which is a straight up incorrect statement.

Firstly, I was not the one that said everything went the cavs way.

You were talking about this game...the cavs where attacking the basket relentlessly? Lets dive into the numbers
1. Cavs drives to the basket in the regular season 48.9. Cavs drives to the basket in game 2 45.
2. Celtics drives to the basket in game 2 58.

Conclusion - numbers dont lie. You may have felt like the cavs attacked the basket relentlessly, but they did it less than the regular season. Celtics attacked the basket a lot more...22% more.

So do you still believe that was an incorrect statement?
NY 567 wrote: that won't change the fact that Tatum is mediocre as hell and that Ainge is dumb enough to give average starters with no upside like Tatum and Brown max contracts. That's worse than Isiah Thomas level dumb
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,657

Post#1168 » by The High Cyde » Fri May 10, 2024 8:33 pm

Is Pritchard outplaying Garland this series?
cavsfanatic
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#1169 » by cavsfanatic » Fri May 10, 2024 8:37 pm

Blacksheep25 wrote:Cavs are +690
Boston -1250

Price at my book for series, so split the difference and Vegas sees it as roughly 10%. I think it’s more 20% because I think Allen and Wade returning seems likely a few games ahead of Porzingas. Whether any play is up in the air. I think Allen is best shot.

I’m probably going to grab some of that +690, because if Cavs manage to win game 3, they’ll offer me a buyout where I can make a few hundred and if they win either, I can still cash out for my original bet.

Celtics are very good and they have games like this. Tatum being a lesser player in the playoffs doesn’t shock me. It’s become the norm. I don’t see their other guys having a game that bad again. I have a lot of respect for guys like White.

I was worried about this scenario saving JBB’s job. Mazzulla and Kidd are the only two coaches who he can seem competent next to. If they won the series, it would almost be worth suffering him again. But I fear they win another game and losing in 6 gives the false impression he’s competent.

Wade is supposed to play Saturday, how effective he is would be anyone's guess.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,444

Post#1170 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 10, 2024 8:48 pm

cavsfanatic wrote:
Blacksheep25 wrote:Cavs are +690
Boston -1250

Wade is supposed to play Saturday, how effective he is would be anyone's guess.
He's listed questionable just like Allen. The only guy that has been ruled out for the Cavs for Saturday is TJ. We'll see if Wade, Allen, or CPJ can give it a go but I'm not super optimistic.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,725

Post#1171 » by bmurph128 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:40 pm

Blaze4G wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
Blaze4G wrote:Lets actually dive into the numbers
In game 2 these are the stats:
Cavs shot 10-22 on wide to wide open 3s, 3-6 for tightly defended 3s
Celtics shot 7-27 wide to wide open 3s, 1-8 for tightly defended 3s
Celtics created 22% more wide open 3s but only made 26% of them while the Cavs made 45% of theirs.

Cavs ranked 24th in getting to the line and 22nd in making their FT. So expecting them to get to the line more and make shoot better from FT line doesn't make sense. Sure, they shot a bit worse than their season average, but the Cavs are not a good FT shooting team.

Out of the 89 games the Celtics played thus far this season, game 2 against cavs is ranked 84th of 89 in points per possession for the Celtics. The Celtics gave up 1.283 points per position, ranked 87 of 89 in games this year. If you want to believe the Celtics will play at almost their absolute worst in Offense and Defense for the entire season then that seems quite unrealistic.

I was talking about THIS game where the Cavs attacked the basket relentlessly, not the FT rate for the regular season - because you said "everything went the Cavs way", which is a straight up incorrect statement.

Firstly, I was not the one that said everything went the cavs way.

You were talking about this game...the cavs where attacking the basket relentlessly? Lets dive into the numbers
1. Cavs drives to the basket in the regular season 48.9. Cavs drives to the basket in game 2 45.
2. Celtics drives to the basket in game 2 58.

Conclusion - numbers dont lie. You may have felt like the cavs attacked the basket relentlessly, but they did it less than the regular season. Celtics attacked the basket a lot more...22% more.

So do you still believe that was an incorrect statement?

Fair enough
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1172 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 10:06 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I really don't understand the hate Tatum is getting. He was the Celtics best player last night and with Porzingis out, he's being asked to play PF for real. Guard play is why the Celtics lost.

I mean you close out close games.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,385

Post#1173 » by Chuck Everett » Fri May 10, 2024 10:07 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

Tatum always plays PF though (at least for long stretches). They don't start KP and Horford.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
KazuoOda
Rookie
And1: 1,368

Post#1174 » by KazuoOda » Fri May 10, 2024 10:09 pm

CoP wrote:
KazuoOda wrote:Boston's D sure isn't Orlando's that's for sure. Only team that scares me in the east is the Knicks. Everyone else is a layup.

So you think it will be Cavs (your team) and Knicks in the ECF?

I'm not saying the Cavs are going to win. I just don't believe in the Celtics as THAT team. They are beatable. They don't strike fear in anyone. You look at Minnesota, no one wants to play them. Even the Knicks, they have a reputation they are gonna play hard and tough. You look at the Celtics you feel like you can go into their house and take some games.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1175 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 10:10 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Tatum always plays PF though (at least for long stretches). They don't start KP and Horford.

My point is he's being asked to do PF type things without their 7'3" center on the court and with Mobley on the other end.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,385

Post#1176 » by Chuck Everett » Fri May 10, 2024 10:24 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

My point is he's being asked to do PF type things without their 7'3" center on the court and with Mobley on the other end.

Your point would be more relevant if Jarrett Allen was also on the floor. Tatum is being defended by Strus and Okoro. He's bigger/more talented than both.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1177 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 10:32 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

Your point would be more relevant if Jarrett Allen was also on the floor. Tatum is being defended by Strus and Okoro. He's bigger/more talented than both.

On the offensive end, agreed, but they need him to try to protect the rim and rebound as well. Look at the stat lines for Brown, Jrue, and White last night and compare them with Tatum.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,863

Post#1178 » by jkvonny » Fri May 10, 2024 10:44 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Hahahaha I'm famous, i really made it!

Now let's hope we don't lose the next 3 straight.

Bisme, the calm moderator as well. Just scoping things out. :lol:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,444

Post#1179 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 10, 2024 11:17 pm

jkvonny wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Hahahaha I'm famous, i really made it!

Now let's hope we don't lose the next 3 straight.

Bisme, the calm moderator as well. Just scoping things out.
If the Cavs drop game 3, i expect a meme in here lol
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,704

Post#1180 » by CoP » Fri May 10, 2024 11:46 pm

KazuoOda wrote:
CoP wrote:
KazuoOda wrote:Boston's D sure isn't Orlando's that's for sure. Only team that scares me in the east is the Knicks. Everyone else is a layup.

So you think it will be Cavs (your team) and Knicks in the ECF?

I'm not saying the Cavs are going to win. I just don't believe in the Celtics as THAT team. They are beatable. They don't strike fear in anyone. You look at Minnesota, no one wants to play them. Even the Knicks, they have a reputation they are gonna play hard and tough. You look at the Celtics you feel like you can go into their house and take some games.

Hmm, ok. Well that's quite a bit different from you saying that every team in the East except for the Knicks is a "layup."

Return to The General Board