What happened to LaMelo Ball?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,755

Re: What happened to LaMelo Ball? 

Post#41 » by slicedbread2 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:22 pm

Castle Black wrote:Might just be injury prone tbh. Kid hasn't been able to stay on the court. He's a really good offensive player when he is though.

Side note: if his most recent tattoo is any indication, he doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed either (though I do appreciate him honoring Wemby like this).

Man wonder how long it took to do that entire back tattoo :o

Lavar Ball on the other hand: :banghead:
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,401

Post#42 » by Phish Tank » Fri May 10, 2024 8:47 pm

his ankles........

No seriously, either he has to wear new shoes, retrain his lower body, change his diet, or do something new because ankle injuries killed most of the previous 2 seasons.

He's fun when he actually plays - can shoot the 3 at a high percentage (albeit a high volume) and can pass, but the flashiness and general low efficiency (byproduct of being on losing teams) is the next hurdle he has to overcome so he can turn into a more serious threat in the league.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,722

Post#43 » by Infinite Llamas » Fri May 10, 2024 8:57 pm

Still recall the time he tried to do a self alley oop on a fast break…missed the shot…fouls someone and promptly benched.

Still has allllllot of growing up to do.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#44 » by JShuttlesworth » Fri May 10, 2024 9:01 pm

I personally don't like LaMelo's game and I don't think he'll live up to the contract the Hornets gave him
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,864

Post#45 » by jkvonny » Fri May 10, 2024 10:35 pm

LaLover11 wrote:He will land with the Warriors once curry retires

I see what you did there . lol
(Curry early years, ankle issues, "land there", etc).
:wink: :laugh: :crowded:
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,237

Post#46 » by Calvin Klein » Sat May 11, 2024 12:47 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:Never looked like the type of player who cared too much about winning basketball. Just looking cool and being famous.

your name and avatar :lol:

One of the all time greats

I used to have a different picture of Marty but I changed to this one as it seems we are living in the alternative 1985 timeline.
turnaroundJ
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#47 » by turnaroundJ » Sat May 11, 2024 7:04 am

the talent is real. i never thought he was all flash no substance, it's just a part of his game. vision, ballhandling, attacking, length, he pretty much already has whatever is needed to become a high level PG. maybe just a bit more experience and more good vet teammates + coaching. i remember as a rookie i watched a full game wherein he just shredded the reigning MVP and would-be champion bucks.

if he ever gets his ankle right and gets surrounded with the right personnel, he'll be fine
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,592

Post#48 » by lonzo_pelota » Sat May 11, 2024 7:07 am

After he got a max deal i feared his game would taper off a bit as the hunger for more might wane, but injuries stopped us from seeing that happen. hopefully he can stay healthy and progress as a player
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,093

Post#49 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 11, 2024 10:48 am

I don't think you can win with heliocentric players that don't play defense let alone if they're injury prone let alone if they're knuckleheads too. I don't think he'll stay in CHA (will demand a trade maybe as soon as this offseason) so if I was CHA I'd get his value back up and trade him for a boatload of picks unless of course an offer they can't refuse is presented to them before this year's draft.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,329

Post#50 » by KembaWalker » Sat May 11, 2024 11:28 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:I don't think you can win with heliocentric players that don't play defense let alone if they're injury prone let alone if they're knuckleheads too. I don't think he'll stay in CHA (will demand a trade maybe as soon as this offseason) so if I was CHA I'd get his value back up and trade him for a boatload of picks unless of course an offer they can't refuse is presented to them before this year's draft.

LaMelo is not a heliocentric player
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,486

Post#51 » by Hornet Mania » Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:I don't think you can win with heliocentric players that don't play defense let alone if they're injury prone let alone if they're knuckleheads too. I don't think he'll stay in CHA (will demand a trade maybe as soon as this offseason) so if I was CHA I'd get his value back up and trade him for a boatload of picks unless of course an offer they can't refuse is presented to them before this year's draft.

LaMelo is not a heliocentric player

Yeah, you could make the argument that a heliocentric approach could unlock Melo's peak potential (at least statistically) but the Hornets have never attempted it.

His natural instincts also work against it. One of his better qualities is pushing the ball up the floor with a pass after a rebound, he's not inclined to slow it down and micromanage the possession while pounding the air out of the ball. The ball typically doesn't stick in Melo's hands long, it's either going up or being redirected to a teammate.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,543

Post#52 » by robillionaire » Sat May 11, 2024 1:12 pm

He got drafted by the hornets. An inept franchise and one of the only other talented players on the team beat a woman up. Maybe they could turn it around one day though. Brandon miller looks promising. Just not the place you want to be drafted. Malik monk floundered there for years had to sign a league min contract and now was playing 6moy ball in Sacramento
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,091

Post#53 » by chilluminati » Sat May 11, 2024 2:20 pm

Bro has a 2K tattoo. /thread
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,391

Post#54 » by Chuck Everett » Sat May 11, 2024 3:41 pm

Hornets' fans have to defend him because of the team's investment, but let's be real, they would rather have any other young star than him. He's so immature and has glass ankles. Is this the guy you really want leading your franchise? For me, no thanks.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#55 » by cgf » Sat May 11, 2024 6:09 pm

Has LaMelo really been hurt for all of those games he's missed, or was he "hurt" the same way SGA was "hurt" for all of those years that OKC was tanking?
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#56 » by cgf » Sat May 11, 2024 6:11 pm

robillionaire wrote:He got drafted by the hornets. An inept franchise and one of the only other talented players on the team beat a woman up. Maybe they could turn it around one day though. Brandon miller looks promising. Just not the place you want to be drafted. Malik monk floundered there for years had to sign a league min contract and now was playing 6moy ball in Sacramento

Brandon Miller looks awesome.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,790

Post#57 » by EmpireFalls » Sat May 11, 2024 6:11 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Hornets' fans have to defend him because of the team's investment, but let's be real, they would rather have any other young star than him. He's so immature and has glass ankles. Is this the guy you really want leading your franchise? For me, no thanks.

The only thing worse than having an immature young star is not having a young star at all.

We will take what we can get.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,790

Post#58 » by EmpireFalls » Sat May 11, 2024 6:11 pm

cgf wrote:Has LaMelo really been hurt for all of those games he's missed, or was he "hurt" the same way SGA was "hurt" for all of those years that OKC was tanking?

80% really hurt. He had to have ankle surgery with titanium rods inserted last year.

Still, I'd say at least 20% SGA hurt (especially towards the tail end of this season). He probably could've played by March/April this year but what would be the point, not a risk worth taking.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#59 » by Optms » Sat May 11, 2024 6:16 pm

He was drafted to Charlotte. That's what happened.

LaMelo is a knucklehead? What knucklehead things has he said or done since being drafted again?
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,329

Post#60 » by KembaWalker » Sat May 11, 2024 6:49 pm

LaMelos one of those guys that people will always find a way to hate. I’ve seen people hate him for laughing on the sideline, hate him for being mad on the sidelines, giving goofy answers to questions, giving bland PR answers to questions. He shuts everyone up as soon as he plays because he’s actually a fantastic basketball player when he’s healthy and they have to go back to their troll caves sulking but with his ankles they’ve been having fun for a while.

Funny thing is that it’s these same clowns that were wrong about him during the draft cycle. Same people with the eye for talent that thought James Wiseman and Scoot Henderson were home run draft picks are usually the ones that hate on LaMelo. Criminally low ball IQ

Return to The General Board