Is Minnesota better without Gobert?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Re: Is Minnesota better without Gobert? 

Post#61 » by cdubbz » Sat May 11, 2024 9:25 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:
cdubbz wrote:The Gobert hate is weird from NBA players and some fans.

I didn't care much about Gobert until he became the COVID-19 doofus.
Now I want to see him lose in general, not just when he plays my team.

My only comment on that is that at that time a lot of people didn't take the virus seriously. Touching all the microphones was a dumb move, but if he had the virus then the people around him were going to get it NO MATTER WHAT. Also there was a lot of people in the interview room anyways. To me it's a weird thing to dislike Gobert because of that.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
RRR3
Veteran
And1: 3,494

Post#62 » by RRR3 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:50 am

Gobert fans never learn
Manimal
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#63 » by Manimal » Mon May 13, 2024 3:57 am

Best +/- on the court tonight among all starters on both teams. Thoroughly outplayed Jokic and got him in foul trouble. He's the 4 time DPOY for a reason.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,945

Post#64 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:58 am

This thread just gets funnier and funnier each game.
Zukkoyaki
Junior
And1: 328

Post#65 » by Zukkoyaki » Mon May 13, 2024 3:58 am

Gobert needs to have another kid or Minny is cooked.
RRR3
Veteran

Post#66 » by RRR3 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:08 am

Manimal wrote:Best +/- on the court tonight among all starters on both teams. Thoroughly outplayed Jokic and got him in foul trouble. He's the 4 time DPOY for a reason.

I've seen Gobert stans unironically citing his plus minus as if single-game +/- isn't wildly unpredictable
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#67 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:19 am

RRR3 wrote:
Manimal wrote:Best +/- on the court tonight among all starters on both teams. Thoroughly outplayed Jokic and got him in foul trouble. He's the 4 time DPOY for a reason.

I've seen Gobert stans unironically citing his plus minus as if single-game +/- isn't wildly unpredictable

It is. But it's also pretty funny when a guy's team out scores the other by 9 points when they play. And they get out scored by 16 with them off the court. That the argument is...well that players is the reason they lost.

Also this isn't a single game thing.

Game 1 +12 on -5 off
Game 3 -10 on -17 off
Game 4 +9 on -17 off

The guys has his faults as does anyone else, but if there were something to he shouldn't be playing. I think we'd start to see something. Instead of have a decade long career of his teams being better with him on the court and fans/players alike continuing to try and find some fault with him.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,282

Post#68 » by Chuck Everett » Mon May 13, 2024 4:22 am

People don't like him because he's not charismatic like Dikembe Mutombo. Dude is exactly the same player (and this is no slight at Deke). I wonder if Mutombo came from France with the same game and didn't play for Georgetown and have that connection to John Thompson, Ewing and Mourning, would people crap all over him. I imagine they would.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#69 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:26 am

Chuck Everett wrote:People don't like him because he's not charismatic like Dikembe Mutombo. Dude is exactly the same player (and this is no slight at Deke). I wonder if Mutombo came from France with the same game and didn't play for Georgetown and have that connection to John Thompson, Ewing and Mourning, would people crap all over him. I imagine they would.

I mean we still have DPOY, all nba second team Deke, on the 2001 76er's. A team that to this date people still claim was AI and scrubs. So even Deke doesn't get any love or respect when his team made a finals.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,282

Post#70 » by Chuck Everett » Mon May 13, 2024 4:31 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:People don't like him because he's not charismatic like Dikembe Mutombo. Dude is exactly the same player (and this is no slight at Deke). I wonder if Mutombo came from France with the same game and didn't play for Georgetown and have that connection to John Thompson, Ewing and Mourning, would people crap all over him. I imagine they would.

I mean we still have DPOY, all nba second team Deke, on the 2001 76er's. A team that to this date people still claim was AI and scrubs. So even Deke doesn't get any love or respect when his team made a finals.

I am more speaking about NBA players. NBA players love Dikembe (well except Shaq). But to casuals, yup, it was AI and scrubs. And totally unfair.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,823

Post#71 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 am

Zukkoyaki wrote:Gobert needs to have another kid or Minny is cooked.

The math would be hard on that unless he's having an affair.
RRR3
Veteran

Post#72 » by RRR3 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:01 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
RRR3 wrote:

It is. But it's also pretty funny when a guy's team out scores the other by 9 points when they play. And they get out scored by 16 with them off the court. That the argument is...well that players is the reason they lost.

Game 1 +12 on -5 off
Game 3 -10 on -17 off
Game 4 +9 on -17 off

The guys has his faults as does anyone else, but if there were something to he shouldn't be playing. I think we'd start to see something. Instead of have a decade long career of his teams being better with him on the court and fans/players alike continuing to try and find some fault with him.

His plus minus was correlated with Ant. He made very little impact when I watched.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,331

Post#73 » by picc » Mon May 13, 2024 5:03 am

He hurts them against Denver and the series wouldn't be tied if he never came back.

There. I said it.
bovice
Pro Prospect
And1: 955

Post#74 » by bovice » Mon May 13, 2024 5:05 am

jokic's body shape is a bad matchup for gobert. he's wide to where he can post gobert up and hit a hook shot with his outside hand and gobert can't block it. plus gobert is a better help defender than an individual defender.
SweaterBae
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,240

Post#75 » by SweaterBae » Mon May 13, 2024 5:09 am

cdubbz wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:
cdubbz wrote:The Gobert hate is weird from NBA players and some fans.

I didn't care much about Gobert until he became the COVID-19 doofus.
Now I want to see him lose in general, not just when he plays my team.

My only comment on that is that at that time a lot of people didn't take the virus seriously. Touching all the microphones was a dumb move, but if he had the virus then the people around him were going to get it NO MATTER WHAT. Also there was a lot of people in the interview room anyways. To me it's a weird thing to dislike Gobert because of that.

If something is going to happen NO MATTER WHAT, you just capitulate? Also, you don't know that, you're straight making it up. Public health is not a weird thing. Imagine how many walls and aircraft carriers we could build if we didn't have to spend so much on healthcare/insurance because of dumbasses like well...You figure it out, if you can.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,590

Post#76 » by AussieCeltic » Mon May 13, 2024 5:12 am

I wonder what it’s like to watch basketball and change your opinion after each and every game.

I’ll keep saying this until the cows come home but players aren’t robots. They have good games, they have bad games just like we do.

Thats why guys like Jokic are so special, because they have far more good days, than bad ones. But that still doesn’t stop people saying he was overrated after 2 games.

I say all that to say, no, the Wolves certainly aren’t better without the DPOY playing.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,590

Post#77 » by AussieCeltic » Mon May 13, 2024 5:14 am

RRR3 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
RRR3 wrote:I've seen Gobert stans unironically citing his plus minus as if single-game +/- isn't wildly unpredictable

Game 1 +12 on -5 off
Game 3 -10 on -17 off
Game 4 +9 on -17 off

His plus minus was correlated with Ant. He made very little impact when I watched.

Then you’re not watching close enough. The Wolves defense is built around having a 7’3 giant Frenchman with a massive wingspan as their anchor.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,339

Post#78 » by ShootersShoot » Mon May 13, 2024 5:15 am

Perhaps forcing joker to guard in space against kat and naz may be the answer.

Or maybe jokic is warmed up now and they are in trouble no matter what they do.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,426

Post#79 » by Woodsanity » Mon May 13, 2024 5:18 am

Gobert has been good, Kat has not....
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#80 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:20 am

RRR3 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
RRR3 wrote:I've seen Gobert stans unironically citing his plus minus as if single-game +/- isn't wildly unpredictable

Game 1 +12 on -5 off
Game 3 -10 on -17 off
Game 4 +9 on -17 off

They have been better with Gobert vs ANT all year. And the story is seemingly the same here.

Breaking down defensive impact in a game is difficult. You can play the best defense in the world and the team can still make a bucket. The bottom line is that it's hard for me to grasp how anyone could watch and not see that Gobert has been a huge plus in this series defensively.

Ultimately, the series has really been about turnovers and Denver's ball pressure moving up the court. It's been about denver being able to maintain gravity on their non shooters like Gordon so keep passing lanes up. It's about stopping or at least delaying guys like ANT on drives so Jokic isn't getting asked to rotate onto an ANT on the downhill.

I'd argue as much as this board has talked about ANT's scoring, Jokic's "bad" play, and Gobert....those 3 haven't really been the story at all. Though I do think Gobert was exceptionally important in game 1, I stand by a lot of that was just great ball pressure and making Denver act quickly.

The only other argument I could see is one where you feel the Wolves should try and turn this more into a shoot out and go small without Gobert. That's not what got them here...but it's always an idea against Denver with Jokic inside. I don't think they have the fire power to do that personally, but if that's where we're going with the anti Gobert stuff, I'm down to see if it works. It's at least possible.

But if you're telling me Gobert is blowing coverage or getting out maneuvered not seeing it. He's doing what he's supposed to do.

Return to The General Board