Kyrie Irving was always overrated in his career, until this year.

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,532

Re: Kyrie Irving was always overrated in his career, until this year. 

Post#41 » by Pelly24 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:18 am

ballzboyee wrote:He's difficult to rate because if you take out the flashy handles and the finish, you are left a really solid blue collar player at the pg position. Most people when they think of Kyrie, they think of handles and Uncle Drew.

I think the blue collar element is overlooked. But there's a functionality to his handle, which is that it enables him to get wherever he wants, create a good shot at any time. But he's more than a solid guy. He's always had John Wall-esque speed in the open court which gives him one-man fast break ability, and his ability to hit threes in transition is also a big deal. He's got elements of the spectacular, but he was never the apex volume scorer maybe his skillset suggests — he's maxed out at averaging about 30 ppg in a month. But he rarely averages less than his average for a month, which is rare for certain people. He may never average 38 points per game for a month, but he'll never fall below two points from his average point total and efficiency. incredibly consistent scorer, and the blue-collar elements — taking care of the ball, pretty good but not spectacular playmaking, solid defense, good decision making — are the parts that get underrated.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,896

Post#42 » by Rainwater » Sun May 12, 2024 9:32 am

I don get it he has always been good.
ballzboyee
Junior
And1: 455

Post#43 » by ballzboyee » Sun May 12, 2024 9:56 am

Pelly24 wrote:
ballzboyee wrote:He's difficult to rate because if you take out the flashy handles and the finish, you are left a really solid blue collar player at the pg position. Most people when they think of Kyrie, they think of handles and Uncle Drew.

I think the blue collar element is overlooked. But there's a functionality to his handle, which is that it enables him to get wherever he wants, create a good shot at any time. But he's more than a solid guy. He's always had John Wall-esque speed in the open court which gives him one-man fast break ability, and his ability to hit threes in transition is also a big deal. He's got elements of the spectacular, but he was never the apex volume scorer maybe his skillset suggests — he's maxed out at averaging about 30 ppg in a month. But he rarely averages less than his average for a month, which is rare for certain people. He may never average 38 points per game for a month, but he'll never fall below two points from his average point total and efficiency. incredibly consistent scorer, and the blue-collar elements — taking care of the ball, pretty good but not spectacular playmaking, solid defense, good decision making — are the parts that get underrated.

When I say "solid," it is not to say that there are not elements of his game which are not elite. I agree with you there. I am just saying that at his core he's a fundamental and blue collar player that does a lot little things and dirty work that are game management oriented and that totally gets overlooked when we people talking these score first pg's today. I know he only played eleven games at Duke, but Kyrie's style of play is straight out the Krzyzewski Dukie school high IQ show runners like Bobbie Hurley. That's all part of the blue collar and fundamental part of his game. He's not doing too much and not doing too little. etc. He's always in control. I don't know how else to say it other than sum of it up as him being just very solid, and he's very good with the basketball in his hand in high leverage situations. He has definitely been a bit underrated. There's a reason why Lebron wanted to team back up with Kryie.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 911

Post#44 » by Roy T » Sun May 12, 2024 10:47 am

DLoMor wrote:He’s never averaged more than 7 assists a year.

You didn't either.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 911

Post#45 » by Roy T » Sun May 12, 2024 10:48 am

He has to draw more fouls. Zero free throws in the last game speak for themselves.
Unit7Attacks
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#46 » by Unit7Attacks » Sun May 12, 2024 10:57 am

Pelly24
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Pelly24 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:16 pm

ballzboyee wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:

When I say "solid," it is not to say that there are not elements of his game which are not elite. I agree with you there. I am just saying that at his core he's a fundamental and blue collar player that does a lot little things and dirty work that are game management oriented and that totally gets overlooked when we people talking these score first pg's today. I know he only played eleven games at Duke, but Kyrie's style of play is straight out the Krzyzewski Dukie school high IQ show runners like Bobbie Hurley. That's all part of the blue collar and fundamental part of his game. He's not doing too much and not doing too little. etc. He's always in control. I don't know how else to say it other than sum of it up as him being just very solid, and he's very good with the basketball in his hand in high leverage situations. He has definitely been a bit underrated. There's a reason why Lebron wanted to team back up with Kryie.

Yes, totally agree. It's been funny seeing people realize about him only after he's joined their team over the years. They always realize he's a better defender, better passer, tougher, smarter player than they realize on top of the scoring consistency.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,614

Post#48 » by MavsDirk41 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:33 pm

Dont think the OP watched the 2016 nba finals where the guy outplayed Curry
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,832

Post#49 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 3:08 pm

Dereck Lively was getting hack a Shaq'd then Lively took off running from Chet to avoid the foul call. Kyrie talked to him said you don't got to do all that just take the foul and go make your free throws we believe in you. Low and behold after that he did.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 813

Post#50 » by Ito » Sun May 12, 2024 3:42 pm

He won rookie of the year no body’s fault you are late
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,091

Post#51 » by bledredwine » Sun May 12, 2024 4:17 pm

28 PPG clutch finals Kyrie was way underrated.

It's strange how people are just noticing his skill during this playoffs, a series deep.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,400

Post#52 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:24 pm

When I think of blue collar guard I think of a guy who plays gritty defense, makes the right play with the ball and can get to the line at times with physical play(someone more like Josh Hart). That's not Kyrie. I'm not even some kind of Kyrie hater, if anything I've defended him more than most over the years but he's not really a blue collar type of player. He's more a guy who can do a lot of things but doesn't always choose to and has been afraid of contact for about 10 years now. I think he's gotten better with his shot selection playing next to Luka compared to 4-5 years ago when he definitely would have chaffed playing next to a guy as ball dominant as Luka is. He's just grown up in a lot of ways and is playing more to his strengths.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Pelly24 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:51 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:

When I think of blue collar guard I think of a guy who plays gritty defense, makes the right play with the ball and can get to the line at times with physical play(someone more like Josh Hart). That's not Kyrie. I'm not even some kind of Kyrie hater, if anything I've defended him more than most over the years but he's not really a blue collar type of player. He's more a guy who can do a lot of things but doesn't always choose to and has been afraid of contact for about 10 years now. I think he's gotten better with his shot selection playing next to Luka compared to 4-5 years ago when he definitely would have chaffed playing next to a guy as ball dominant as Luka is. He's just grown up in a lot of ways and is playing more to his strengths.

I feel like maybe we watch a different Kyrie lol. Because he's one of the most physical guards in the league. He plays through a lot of contact when he's dribbling. He def makes the right play with the ball most of the time, which I think is a very underrated aspect of his game.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,400

Post#54 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:55 pm

Pelly24 wrote:
I feel like maybe we watch a different Kyrie lol. Because he's one of the most physical guards in the league. He plays through a lot of contact when he's dribbling. He def makes the right play with the ball most of the time, which I think is a very underrated aspect of his game.

That's largely because guys have figure out that he's not really trying to get by them and just wants enough space to get a shot off. Regarding making the right play, I think he was way more prone to trying to just have tunnel vision with his shot attempts earlier. He played too much hero ball to where he was icing out the rest of the team a lot in the 2017 finals and with the Celtics.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,553

Post#55 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sun May 12, 2024 6:48 pm

Kyrie was always an all-star level guy, but never superstar/MVP level

But he has three things that can lead to a guy being overhyped
1. Flashy - he's got the flashy handle and says stuff in interviews that invites media coverage
2. Being LeBron's teammate - that brings Finals appearances and a title and media attention. If LeBron never comes back to Cleveland, no one's paying attention to the Irving, Wiggins, Tristan Thompson Cavs.
3. Complementary skill set - he's has a very complimentary skill set to pair next to a star like Doncic or LeBron, thanks to the shooting while not having a game that requires dominating the ball. Much more complimentary than guys like Beal or Melo or Cousins, so he performs better in the playoffs, especially next to guys like Doncic and LeBron that can take the defense's attention

Return to The General Board