Thoughts on Thunder resorting to Hack-a-Lively?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,854

Re: Thoughts on Thunder resorting to Hack-a-Lively? 

Post#41 » by scrabbarista » Sun May 12, 2024 6:07 pm

madskillz8 wrote:That's why you have to combine analytics with some sense. Everyone knows, unless your mechanics are broken (e.g., Dwight, or Shaq) FTs are often about rhythm, it is very possible that you can shoot 55% when you are shooting 1.5 per game, and 70+% when you are shooting 10 in a single game. Lively clearly has good mechanics.

RunOKC wrote:Weird timing to do it considering he was 3/4 right before.I guess coach felt Lively was 'due' to miss, sort of like how you're due for a win at the blackjack table after 3 straight losses.

Great point.

I bet this is the suggestion of their analytics team who are likely very good at maths (read as "extracting the truth out of numbers") but know little about basketball, though...

I shot 76% from three as a high school freshman, shooting about 3-4 per game.

My free throw percentage was somewhere in the 60's, because I shot less than one per game. If I'd shot like four per game, I bet I would've been around 80%.

Rhythm/flow is huge for shooting.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,810

Post#42 » by sikma42 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:12 pm

azcatz11 wrote:42% FT shooter. Everyone on here loves advanced stats but some of you don’t like when math is actually used in the games. You all should be ashamed of yourselves

He’s a 50% free throw shooter, not 42%. It’s also obvious that there is nothing structurally wrong with his jumpshot. He only shots 1.5 per game.

This is more a misunderstanding of stats and should be condoned as such. Lively is more like a 65-70%+ shooter if given 6+ free throws a game.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
donkki
Assistant Coach
And1: 633

Post#43 » by donkki » Sun May 12, 2024 6:14 pm

Intentional fouling off the ball should always be considered flagrant, with free throw(s) and possession to the opposing team.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 139

Post#44 » by Astaluego » Sun May 12, 2024 6:26 pm

In the play that Chet was chasing him all over the court, it was a matter of milliseconds that PJ's basket was invalid, that killed them,...it looked ridiculous, the fact that he was trying to embarrass a rookie, no It improves it... it seemed like an inferior team... I wondered what the young Thunder players thought of their own coach, when he ordered them to do it.
Old Mike Lorenzo
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,439

Post#45 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 12, 2024 6:27 pm

The guy is terrible at free throws, it is a wise tactic.

Return to The General Board