2024 NBA Draft Lottery Thread (Sunday 5/12 3pm ET on ABC)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

zshawn10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,593

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery Thread (Sunday 5/12 3pm ET on ABC) 

Post#361 » by zshawn10 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=nTTEj4pYTl_o_im2gtZyQg
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,938

Post#362 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 3:31 pm

If the draft had a clear number 1 pick, i think Trae would have been traded for sure. Right now, we have no idea if Sarr (or whomever) projects to have all-nba talent so i don't think the Hawks can stomach trying to rebuild around a guy who has elite role player ceiling.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,329

Post#363 » by G R E Y » Mon May 13, 2024 4:53 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:NBA fans are the most impatient in sports. Even after the success of SGA and Brunson turning into All-NBA caliber players after years in the league, they still expect the players coming into the league to be finished products. No one actually improves with experience. Third year players might as well retire.

Jeremy Sochan, a #9 pick, is considered trash by most because he couldn't play point guard, a position he'd never played before, by his 2nd year in the league :lol:

Sochan's rookie year apparently has no value to those people. Sochan's versatility would help a lot of teams. Pop was just on his Dr. Frankenstein **** this past season. I think Jeremy's role as a switchable PF can work and he also can work in a uber-big lineup with someone like Mamu at the 4 (here's hoping Spurs keep him). I can kind of get what Pop was going for with him, because this kid has a lot of versatility and if he can tap it effectively, you're looking at someone who can literally give you all kinds of wild stats in any given game. I don't believe he's feast or famine either. Like I could see him having 14 rebounds and 8 points or 25 points and 7 steals. The organization is wise to develop him with an idea not to limit what he can do (same as what they did with Wemby).

Sochan played some ball bringing up point at Baylor I recently read somewhere. And in his rookie season he showed some really good passing flashes. It was not our of wild left field trying him out at point. It lasted only 20 games so I think too much is being made of the experiment, but highlighted not only what he needs to work on in his game (handles primary) but also the imbalance of our roster in trying to fit previous season's starters in with Wemby.

We had 3 starters change positions, with Keldon and Zach getting bench roles while bringing Tre back as starter. So there were a lot of permutations being tried.

But it isn't uncommon now for a bigger PF mold guy to be initiating O. It wasn't even uncommon for Sochan. It's was just too big a learning curve relative to his then skills. Absolutely agree with your last sentence. And this was the season to expand parameters and test things out.

Anyway, there are limits to 'positionless' basketball, as teams with very good PGs still in the POs are proving. The floor general with court vision, passing ability, and scoring punch is very much a crucial part of a team's success.

We need that, and even if we draft a PG it's not necessarily going to be the long term solution but what fits to get us to the next step or two. A proper starting 3 and back up C are also key so we have a lot of work to do. Luckily we have the assets to address these in a variety of ways. But I'm glad we're not paying a non-consensus #1 a #1 contract. This is where team scouting departments earn their cheques.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#364 » by G R E Y » Mon May 13, 2024 4:53 pm

DP
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#365 » by G R E Y » Mon May 13, 2024 4:59 pm

Rainwater wrote:The hawks should really think of rebuilding at this point. They have been mediocre for a while now. Trae is due for a big contract but doesn’t seem like the guy that can get them over the hump. Why spend the money? Whoever they draft will not help immediately. They should just trade Trae and Murray for a haul of picks and start the rebuild process.

Yes. Tear it all down and go for a full rebuild.

Signed - Spurs fans everywhere
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,898

Post#366 » by Rainwater » Mon May 13, 2024 5:28 pm

G R E Y wrote:
Rainwater wrote:The hawks should really think of rebuilding at this point. They have been mediocre for a while now. Trae is due for a big contract but doesn’t seem like the guy that can get them over the hump. Why spend the money? Whoever they draft will not help immediately. They should just trade Trae and Murray for a haul of picks and start the rebuild process.

lol I am assuming one of the spots that Trae may land is in SA where the Hawks will be seeking their picks back from the Murray trade.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#367 » by G R E Y » Mon May 13, 2024 6:11 pm

Rainwater wrote:
G R E Y wrote:

lol I am assuming one of the spots that Trae may land is in SA where the Hawks will be seeking their picks back from the Murray trade.

All of them and more. Nope lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 546

Post#368 » by NDaATL » Mon May 13, 2024 7:06 pm

drone3 wrote:Sarr looks like a great fit for the Hawks. They just need to surround Trae with D

1000%. Length and defense, and shooting is what Trae needs.

Sarr is a unicorn physical specimen. 7'0" without shoes, 37" vertical. Already a great lob threat for Trae with pretty good handles, potential to stretch the floor as a shooter (~70% FT shooter already) can switch guard players in space like Bam, and also protect the rim.

Sure he will take a few years but if he has any work ethic at all this guy will be an all-star. No brainer pick IMO.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 546

Post#369 » by NDaATL » Mon May 13, 2024 7:17 pm

Why would we tank and do a complete rebuild though? We don't own our own pick for the next 3 years. There is zero incentive to lose games right now.

We should trade one of Trae or Murray. But definitely not both.

I just don't understand how getting the #1 pick means we should rebuild. Draft Sarr and see what happens. Trae with Sarr PNR as a lob threat would be insane.

We also have a lot of trade pieces currently and there are lots of other things we could do.

We also had a ton of injuries this year. With better health and a better fit after a Trae or Murray trade, plus Sarr plus JJ's improvement we could easily be a 3/4 seed next year with lots of potential.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,898

Post#370 » by Rainwater » Mon May 13, 2024 9:24 pm

NDaATL wrote:

Why would we tank and do a complete rebuild though? We don't own our own pick for the next 3 years. There is zero incentive to lose games right now.

We should trade one of Trae or Murray. But definitely not both.

I just don't understand how getting the #1 pick means we should rebuild. Draft Sarr and see what happens. Trae with Sarr PNR as a lob threat would be insane.

We also have a lot of trade pieces currently and there are lots of other things we could do.

We also had a ton of injuries this year. With better health and a better fit after a Trae or Murray trade, plus Sarr plus JJ's improvement we could easily be a 3/4 seed next year with lots of potential.

I really see a deal with SA where they get their picks back for Trae. And I really don’t think whoever the Hawks draft they will be doing much for the next couple of years. The Hawks have been stuck in mediocrity for a while now and unless they can pick up a superstar it is just time to move on and rebuild.

I just feel like everyone (except Hawks fans) are seeing the limitations of the team.
Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,667

Post#371 » by Bornstellar » Mon May 13, 2024 9:27 pm

All of us Spurs fans would love for ATL to blow it up and try to rebuild considering we own their draft the next 3 years :lol: which is why they probably won't, because there's no point, and trading Trae to someone like LA only ensures they'll get some mid-late 1sts out of it a few years down the line.

But I just don't see SA trading for Young. I have been on the Trade for Trae bandwagon but ultimately I think ATL will want all they gave for DJ + more and I don't see the Spurs willing to do that. At least not for Young.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 916

Post#372 » by LaLover11 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:48 pm

Trae and #1 pick for D Lo

It only makes sense
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
damanick10
Starter
And1: 3,196

Post#373 » by damanick10 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:02 pm

Buzelis is testing great... 38 inch vert... tempting at 4, he has aura.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 916

Post#374 » by LaLover11 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:13 pm

Realistically what can a #1 draft pick fetch for Atlanta?
Trade wise
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,792

Post#375 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 11:05 pm

LaLover11 wrote:Realistically what can a #1 draft pick fetch for Atlanta?
Trade wise

Austin Reaves
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,109

Post#376 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 13, 2024 11:24 pm

Trade wise

Future protected 2nd round picks.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 2,061

Post#377 » by Blazing_royale » Tue May 14, 2024 12:30 am

Draft Bronny with the #1 pick and get LeBron
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
donkki
Assistant Coach
And1: 635

Post#378 » by donkki » Tue May 14, 2024 1:13 am

Trade wise

#4 and #8, but they might need to sweeten the deal with a future pick or a player.

This would pair Wemby with a countryman Sarr, creating a new 2024 version of the twin towers, and Atlanta can jump start their rebuild with two lottery picks.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,967

Post#379 » by DayofMourning » Tue May 14, 2024 1:34 am

donkki wrote:
Trade wise

#4 and #8, but they might need to sweeten the deal with a future pick or a player.

This would pair Wemby with a countryman Sarr, creating a new 2024 version of the twin towers, and Atlanta can jump start their rebuild with two lottery picks.

Id rather have 4 and 8 than 1. I like Sarr but I dont see allstar.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,303

Post#380 » by Dan Z » Tue May 14, 2024 2:36 am

Return to The General Board