Zach Edey dominated the NBA Combine (for the second time)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Chokic
Senior
And1: 667

Re: Zach Edey dominated the NBA Combine (for the second time) 

Post#61 » by Chokic » Wed May 15, 2024 1:30 pm

azcatz11 wrote:None of those numbers mean anything. Anyone who has watched Edey knows he's a big stiff who can't guard a sack of potatoes' in the league. He also doesn't really have any post moves except the left hook and has mediocre hands (not soft)

Jokic is slower than edey and is doing fine. Edey isn't some 6'8 tweener playing center in college ball trying to transition over to the nba he's a ridiculously massive center (near 7'5) with a near 8ft wingspan good touch and has the range to adjust to the modern game. You take him in the lottery especially in this weak draft and don't think twice.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#62 » by zero rings » Wed May 15, 2024 2:07 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
FrodoBaggins wrote:
peZt wrote:
Terrible logic is watching somebody play for 4 years and then say "Oh his measurements turned out great, guess I should throw overboard my observations about him. He was terrible on defense and obviously not quick enough to guard anybody, but his agility numbers are great and that's what counts"

Your analysis is very simplistic. You're not doing yourself any favors here.

How is it wrong? We have seen the guy play and he isn't considered much of a prospect. Why would the drills change what we've seen on the floor?

We’ve seen him completely dominate college ball. Most of the skepticism is based on the theory that he’s too slow for the NBA, which these numbers seem to contradict.

This isn’t that complicated. If he has the athleticism to be even a passable defender, he’s going to be a solid pro.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,634

Post#63 » by Myth » Wed May 15, 2024 2:19 pm

Anticon wrote:Bigger story here, as Edey has been so scrutinized, is that Clingam seems to have escaped any similar scrutiny. A very risky top pick imo.

I was very against Portland selecting him with their initial 3/4 placement, but I'd accept him at 7. Crazy he may not drop that far though.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,128

Post#64 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 15, 2024 2:38 pm

Anticon wrote:Bigger story here, as Edey has been so scrutinized, is that Clingam seems to have escaped any similar scrutiny. A very risky top pick imo.

I think every player at the top of this draft is very risky….don’t like any of them.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,525

Post#65 » by Snotbubbles » Wed May 15, 2024 3:09 pm

So with the #1 pick, Zach Edey. With the #2 pick, Bronny James. Anyone else make a bunch of uncontested shots and run around cones really quick?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,685

Post#66 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 15, 2024 4:26 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,685

Post#67 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 15, 2024 4:28 pm

Scouts are really overthinking this...

Read on Twitter
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,565

Post#68 » by Saints14 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:43 pm

I might be nuts but I have Edey top 10, maybe even top 5 in this class. Feel like people are kind of hand waving his 2 biggest strength, size and college production - which aren't just great but outlier great, like he's by far the biggest player to enter the draft (other than Tacko Fall, who was far less productive) and by far the most productive in terms of BPM (other than Zion Williamson, who went #1) to enter the draft in a decade. I see people group Edey in with other productive college bigs who couldn't cut it in the NBA like Timme, Tsiebwe and Garza, but not only is Edey way bigger than those guys, his college BPM is also way higher. I don't think it's a question he'll be a good offensive center in the NBA, and there is legit star upside there.

It really just comes down to defense, which again puzzles me that the first thing people talk about there is the limitations of him being 7'5" with a 7'11" wingspan and not the advantages that come with that. At his size, you know he'll be a great rim protector at the very least! As long as he isn't a disaster in terms of foot speed and mobility, which his athletic testing suggests he isn't, then his size gives him a lot of room for error and he could even become a plus at that end. He was 2x all-defense in the Big 10 averaging over 2 blocks per game, so we aren't talking about a bad college defender here. Edey doesn't have the feel for the game that Jokic has but a lot of defense is about smarts and positioning, which he can have some room for growth in too.

Return to The General Board