Pep Guardiola on winning his 6th Premier League trophy in 7 years with Man City: "We are like the 1990s Chicago Bulls"

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,626

Re: Pep Guardiola on winning his 6th Premier League trophy in 7 years with Man City: "We are like the 1990s Chicago Bull 

Post#21 » by baldur » Mon May 20, 2024 6:17 am

Disrespectful to the bulls actually. The guy's roster is 1,5 billion dollars worth which is the most expensive squad in the world, no salary cap at all. It's like he is driving a Ferrari against Toyota camries and proud because he won the race. Lol.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,107

Re: Pep Guardiola on winning his 6th Premier League trophy in 7 years with Man City: "We are like the 1990s Chicago Bull 

Post#22 » by Shock Defeat » Mon May 20, 2024 6:34 am

Man citys bench is more expensive than nearly all Premier League clubs entire roster. They are the dodgers, they win solely due to having more money than everyone else. Can afford the best scouts, best free agents. Only one champions league tho which is similar to the dodgers. Both choke on the biggest stage.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,647

Post#23 » by KGtabake » Mon May 20, 2024 6:40 am

Lmao
Winning the English championship is nothing compared to winning the NBA.
Winning the Champions League is the only thing equal (and tougher maybe) because there are teams from all over Europe and not only England.

If you're like the Chicago Bulls, then what could we say about Real Madrid?

Pepe pepe. Always gets a 1bilion roster and thinks he's the king.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,574

Post#24 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Mon May 20, 2024 6:47 am

This is more like what LeBron accomplished in the 10s with consecutive Finals appearances

The Premier League is the best league in football, but it's still just one of many top flight leagues. In any given year, there may be a better Italian or Spanish or German or French club
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,514

Post#25 » by Onlytimewilltel » Mon May 20, 2024 6:52 am

baldur wrote:Disrespectful to the bulls actually. The guy's roster is 1,5 billion dollars worth which is the most expensive squad in the world, no salary cap at all. It's like he is driving a Ferrari against Toyota camries and proud because he won the race. Lol.

this...
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,654

Post#26 » by jpengland » Mon May 20, 2024 7:06 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Handlez wrote:I know nothing about soccer, but gotta respect that dominance and greatness.

Well, if you knew about football you'd also know Manchester City are currently facing 115 charges for FFP (financial fair play regulations). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the Chicago Bulls had that blemish hanging over them...

Yep. This.

I would suggest at least half, if not all of these titles will be handed back once the league is able to press forward with the charges.

City have been abusing the FFP regulations and are using lawyers to stall and block the process at every turn. It's all going to come out in the wash at some point and City will lose titles and likely be relegated.
Baz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,820

Post#27 » by Baz » Mon May 20, 2024 7:23 am

TheGOATRises007 wrote:
Baz wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:Well, if you knew about football you'd also know Manchester City are currently facing 115 charges for FFP (financial fair play regulations). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the Chicago Bulls had that blemish hanging over them...

Football is also very tribal. If you're not a fan of Manchester City this is a great excuse to fall back on even though FFP is a terrible rule that protects the 'elite' clubs at the top, helping to keep them there. The people shouting '115 charges' are usually fans of those clubs; particularly Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool - who were successful at the right time before money took over the game. FFP was made to stop the smaller clubs becoming like Man City, who were in recent decades a struggling club before they were bought by billionaires. & Man City may or may not have broken the rules, we don't know for sure yet. This is just sour grapes from this poster. 4 in a row is an incredible achievement and even with the money at Guardiola's disposal, nobody expected success of this magnitude. Actually, a lot of people were expecting Guardiola to fail, as the Premier League is the toughest league in the world. Clubs like Liverpool & United have spent just as much as Guardiola's City and haven't been able to touch them.

I would like to see some sort of league/Europe wide salary cap to give the modern day struggling clubs a chance at success. The 'elite' clubs should not be protected just because of their past glories.

They did.

UEFA charged them but weren't able to punish them on a technicality.

The FA has 115 charges on them.

Do you think 115 charges were fabricated out of thin air? It's not 1, 5 or 10 charges. It's 115.

Do you care about these charges because of fan allegiance, or for the good of the game? Because United & Liverpool have been bullies in the transfer market for decades, & their fans have no problem with their own longstanding financial advantages. They're in the same elite club as Man City - financial juggernauts who are protected by FFP & billionaire backing.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,720

Post#28 » by PlatinumState » Mon May 20, 2024 7:51 am

Shock Defeat wrote:Man citys bench is more expensive than nearly all Premier League clubs entire roster. They are the dodgers, they win solely due to having more money than everyone else. Can afford the best scouts, best free agents. Only one champions league tho which is similar to the dodgers. Both choke on the biggest stage.

This. If I coached Man City with that roster I bet I'd win the premier league 4 out of 7 times
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,711

Post#29 » by TheGOATRises007 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:13 am

Baz wrote:
TheGOATRises007 wrote:
Baz wrote:
Football is also very tribal. If you're not a fan of Manchester City this is a great excuse to fall back on even though FFP is a terrible rule that protects the 'elite' clubs at the top, helping to keep them there. The people shouting '115 charges' are usually fans of those clubs; particularly Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool - who were successful at the right time before money took over the game. FFP was made to stop the smaller clubs becoming like Man City, who were in recent decades a struggling club before they were bought by billionaires. & Man City may or may not have broken the rules, we don't know for sure yet. This is just sour grapes from this poster. 4 in a row is an incredible achievement and even with the money at Guardiola's disposal, nobody expected success of this magnitude. Actually, a lot of people were expecting Guardiola to fail, as the Premier League is the toughest league in the world. Clubs like Liverpool & United have spent just as much as Guardiola's City and haven't been able to touch them.

I would like to see some sort of league/Europe wide salary cap to give the modern day struggling clubs a chance at success. The 'elite' clubs should not be protected just because of their past glories.

They did.

Do you think 115 charges were fabricated out of thin air? It's not 1, 5 or 10 charges. It's 115.

Do you care about these charges because of fan allegiance, or for the good of the game? Because United & Liverpool have been bullies in the transfer market for decades, & their fans have no problem with their own longstanding financial advantages. They're in the same elite club as Man City - financial juggernauts who are protected by FFP & billionaire backing.

United and Liverpool abided by the rules.

City did not. I don't know why you're trying to defending that soulless state entity of a club.

Also, United and Liverpool got revenue through their success on the football pitch. City got bought by a billionaire.

United and Liverpool are not backed by a billionaire. They spend the club's money. The Glazers(United's owners) pocket money out of the club. When the club sold Ronaldo in 2009, they used it to indebt the club and pay off their own debts.

Comparing them to City is nonsensical. City's ownership group literally owns other football clubs. It's a disgrace what they've done.
Baz
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by Baz » Mon May 20, 2024 9:13 am

TheGOATRises007 wrote:
Baz wrote:
TheGOATRises007 wrote:
They did.

United and Liverpool abided by the rules.

City did not. I don't know why you're trying to defending that soulless state entity of a club.

Also, United and Liverpool got revenue through their success on the football pitch. City got bought by a billionaire.

United and Liverpool are not backed by a billionaire. They spend the club's money. The Glazers(United's owners) pocket money out of the club. When the club sold Ronaldo in 2009, they used it to indebt the club and pay off their own debts.

Comparing them to City is nonsensical. City's ownership group literally owns other football clubs. It's a disgrace what they've done.

The rules made by who & why? United & Liverpool played their part in pushing through FFP in a desperate attempt to stop other clubs like Newcastle from doing the same thing Man City did, which was invest their own money. They have collectively assisted the FA in blocking other clubs from achieving glory for the foreseeable future.. all because they were incredibly fortunate on the timing of their success which built their constant stream of revenue. The usual suspects voted for FFP, but the disgraceful, soulless, Man City, did not, by the way, even though it would've benefited them just like the other juggernauts. I find the establishment of those rules to block investment far more toxic than Man City breaking them. But also, keep in mind by your own admission, United + Liverpool are taking money out of the country, Man City & Newcastle are putting money into it. The UK isn't doing so well. Even still, the FA have decided to back the traditionally elite clubs that are bleeding money out. That is nonsensical.
Baz
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by Baz » Mon May 20, 2024 9:19 am

PlatinumState wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Man citys bench is more expensive than nearly all Premier League clubs entire roster. They are the dodgers, they win solely due to having more money than everyone else. Can afford the best scouts, best free agents. Only one champions league tho which is similar to the dodgers. Both choke on the biggest stage.

This. If I coached Man City with that roster I bet I'd win the premier league 4 out of 7 times

And I'd bet you would be relegated. Coaching matters... a lot. It doesn't matter how good your players are if you don't know how to use them.
SirCharles3434
Junior
And1: 342

Post#33 » by SirCharles3434 » Mon May 20, 2024 9:32 am

PlatinumState wrote:

lol right :lol:
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,281

Post#34 » by UcanUwill » Mon May 20, 2024 9:43 am

BHF wrote:I would win the NBA coach of the year if I was able to assemble with almost any player I want. Just take the top 3 player at every position and stack the bench with all stars.

baldur wrote:Disrespectful to the bulls actually. The guy's roster is 1,5 billion dollars worth which is the most expensive squad in the world, no salary cap at all. It's like he is driving a Ferrari against Toyota camries and proud because he won the race. Lol.

Altho I hate Man City, hate how people act like they are the only one that have unlimited money. This is not PSG calling themselves dynasty for winning Ligue 1 all the time, number of teams in Premier spend tons. How much money did Anthony cost to United, around 100 Million, dude had 1 goal and 1 assist this season and tanked his value at least 4x now. Altho everything is far easier with biggest budget, you still need great eye and talent at bringing the correct players and implementing them in a system.

NBA fans and media often call NBA draft a crap shoot, while most of Euro sport signings are like that. Clubs constantly bring players from different countries, lesser divisions, youth academies etc. yet act they got it easy. Assembling Euro team, no matter the sport, is far harder than NBA team, NBA GM job is a freaking joke in comparison, since 95% of talent disposition is already established within a league for years. Your biggest off season NBA signing is never a guy from Holland or Czech Republic or Brazil.

Pep is regarded to be best manager for a reason, how many TImo Werners or Anthony's did he bring? None. Managers often get these super positions, but how many of them last in same club for a decade? You might have greatest resources if you are Manchester City manager, but you also have no room for error. For what Pep already is for the club, he could afford dud signing or maybe even down season, but if results noticeably drop, he is gone. People act like he has it super easy have no clue what they are talking about.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#35 » by andyhop » Mon May 20, 2024 10:03 am

City are Lance Armstrong not the Bulls
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,370

Post#36 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon May 20, 2024 10:27 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Handlez wrote:I know nothing about soccer, but gotta respect that dominance and greatness.

Well, if you knew about football you'd also know Manchester City are currently facing 115 charges for FFP (financial fair play regulations). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the Chicago Bulls had that blemish hanging over them...

How the Premier League has let this drag on for so long is utterly baffling. But they’ll jump all over Forest and Everton. :roll:
_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,204

Post#37 » by _jin » Mon May 20, 2024 10:37 am

Pep has really forgotten about the Champions League, not surprising given his track record :lol:
If anything Man City is more like Real Madrid in basketball, and Real Madrid in soccer/football are the 90's Bulls.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 813

Post#38 » by madskillz8 » Mon May 20, 2024 10:39 am

Meh, Bulls were the WORLD CHAMPS while City is not even a British Champ, only England.

Get your facts straight coach and put some respek on Bulls dynasty! Like the way Bulls fans did to their late GM's wife.

Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#39 » by Ferulci » Mon May 20, 2024 10:41 am

Lots of haters here.
The FFP charges are dead serious and will need some type of punishment, but let's not act like if United or Chelsea can't spend at will (and to a lesser extent, Arsenal bought Declan Rice for 131M$. Darwin Nunez costs 100M $+ to Liverpool. Haaland cost 63M$ to City. Let's not act like Gunners and Reds are small clubs. 2/3 of Premier league is CRAZY RICH compared to the rest of Europe).
Like it or not, City has been brilliant when it comes to building a roster, mixing acquisitions with homegrown talent like Foden. They play one of the most beautiful football in Europe and Guardiola is one of the best coaches in the world right now (you can argue for Klopp or Ancelotti, I don't mind, but he's Top 5 at WORST). Players like Doku, who was running joke in France, is having a career year. City plays football the right way and, on a domestic level, their success can ABSOLUTELY be compared to the 90's Bulls.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,840

Post#40 » by rapstarter » Mon May 20, 2024 10:50 am

Ferulci wrote:Lots of haters here.
The FFP charges are dead serious and will need some type of punishment, but let's not act like if United or Chelsea can't spend at will (and to a lesser extent, Arsenal bought Declan Rice for 131M$. Darwin Nunez costs 100M $+ to Liverpool. Haaland cost 63M$ to City. Let's not act like Gunners and Reds are small clubs. 2/3 of Premier league is CRAZY RICH compared to the rest of Europe).
Like it or not, City has been brilliant when it comes to building a roster, mixing acquisitions with homegrown talent like Foden. They play one of the most beautiful football in Europe and Guardiola is one of the best coaches in the world right now (you can argue for Klopp or Ancelotti, I don't mind, but he's Top 5 at WORST). Players like Doku, who was running joke in France, is having a career year. City plays football the right way and, on a domestic level, their success can ABSOLUTELY be compared to the 90's Bulls.

Where the comparison falls apart is they've won 1 CL while outspending everyone on transfers and wages (with money from extremely questionable source). Money doesn't automatically mean success as you've pointed out, but it's also true that without money (from extremely questionable source), they would be nothing.

Also Doku had a few nice games, but he is someone who cost 60M euros and scored 3 goals in the season. This level of return would be laughed at in other clubs, but you have meh signings like Doku and Grealish coast and be called great because they can continue to spend money.

Return to The General Board