Getting swept in the playoffs vs Lottery

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Getting swept in the playoffs vs Lottery 

Post#1 » by DelaneyRudd » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:06 pm

What is better in the east from a GMs point of view?

Getting the 10th pick in the draft and a small shot for top 3 or

Getting the 15th pick in the draft and likely getting swept in the playoffs with a team that will you will probably look to move several players.
CB4_Toronto_Raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#2 » by CB4_Toronto_Raptors » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:17 pm

Every teams goal at the start of the year should be playoffs. I can see why it would be beneficial to getting a lotto pick rather than being swept but what the playoffs does to the city is great. Hell Atlanta could get a sell out in the playoffs.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#3 » by DelaneyRudd » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:37 pm

CB4_Toronto_Raptors wrote:Every teams goal at the start of the year should be playoffs. I can see why it would be beneficial to getting a lotto pick rather than being swept but what the playoffs does to the city is great. Hell Atlanta could get a sell out in the playoffs.

I completely agree from a player or coaches point of view. Why would any player want a better player to replace them?

But my question is from a GMs point of view, also assuming most of your players are trade bait. Atlanta isn't a good example of this, I am specifically thinking of New Jersey.
wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#4 » by wilt » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:56 pm

depends on the situation really. For New Jersey or Chicago the lotto would be better, also because expectations are higher. Sounds strange, but the Nets going out in round 1 is a big disapointment. On the other hand, a team like the Hawks, Bobcats (just 2 wins out of it) getting swept in round 1 will still be seen as an accomplishment or at least should be and fire up the players and the surroundings for next year.

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#5 » by DelaneyRudd » Sun Feb 3, 2008 8:31 pm

It would be different if their wasn't such a difference between 1 and 8, but the reason I say this is because people make so much about playoff experience. 3 games that you are non-competitive isn't going to help younger players.
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#6 » by MagicFan3 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 8:34 pm

The Magic were in that situation last year. It was worth being in the playoffs to stop the Pistons from getting a lottery pick. (They had our pick last year)
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#7 » by Kobay » Sun Feb 3, 2008 8:39 pm

As a GM probably lotto depending on who is coming but if there is no one or the pieces you need you should run for playoffs or the owner will slice your ballz for the ticket sales. Ofcourse this does not apply to new york.
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#8 » by RockTHECasbah » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:41 pm

Depends on the state of the team. For a team like Toronto last year, then playoffs. NJ, this year, should be lottery.
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
Bgil
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#9 » by Bgil » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:26 pm

In this league you either want to be moving up or free falling to the bottom so you can rebuild. Some teams like the Suns who have a GM who is perfectly content to lose to the same teams every season because it makes him a lot of money but I'd rather have Mark Cuban or Pat Reilly.

If it ain't workin' then just blow it up and rebuild as quick as possible.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005

Return to The General Board