Best possible return for Karl Anthony-Towns?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,695

Re: Best possible return for Karl Anthony-Towns? 

Post#101 » by Wolveswin » Wed May 15, 2024 3:24 am

louc1970 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
louc1970 wrote:One of the reasons Wolves went after Gobert was Towns was wanting to be moved if he had to continue playing center. They placated him.
It is one of the issues Anthony Davis has as well.they both want to be PFs.

That isn’t the full truth with Towns. Towns motivation is to be the “best shooting big man” in NBA. Like ever. And on offense end of floor, he can’t be shackled to block work and post ups with that initiative.

On defense, Towns weakness is rotation and help D. Although much better last few years, patrolling the middle and protecting the rim as last line of defense is asking Towns to do just that - and not leveraging his strengths.

Towns needs the right bigman matchup. Being Towns is the 4 or 5 is irrelevant. I think Towns best pairing is when he is the center but with a rim protecting 4 that prefers block work on O. Towns can guard the other teams 5 well - but the 4 needs to be the rim protecting bigman.

JJJ, Mobley, Isaac are some awesome pairings off top of my head. Banchero could work too.

Towns can’t guard anyone. He us just bad on defense.

Old, out dated, and bad take. Up your game please.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,695

Post#102 » by Wolveswin » Wed May 15, 2024 3:31 am

thinktank wrote:
shrink wrote:
thinktank wrote:
It looked like you were speaking generally, and I believe you are, actually, since it’s VERY well established that you’re against trading Towns. You didn’t quote a post either, and this thread is about the best return for Towns.

Sigh. I am not opposed to a Towns trade. I think it’s unlikely, because the Wolves trip to the second round of the playoffs is a big deal for this franchise, and the team will remain win-now through next year, as ownership tries to get public support for a new stadium. With Towns contract and trade value, it is unlikely to find a return that improves the Wolves. A rebuilding trade for youth, picks and cap space seems particularly unrealistic. We’ll have to see if ownership demands massive cuts in payroll.

I sincerely thank you for your honesty. I’ll assume you personally don’t like a KAT trade. That’s fine!

I like the Knicks or Magic. Send him East and round out the roster and get a draft pick or two. DiVincenzo looks like a player and Knicks have some bigs to choose from (not Randle). For the Magic, Isaac could be rounding into form and fits our defensive culture. They also have some other good role players (Suggs comes home?). I don’t buy the “trading a superstar never works” argument. My two cents!

I agree. More so, when Wolves are indeed Edwards team. Towns represents opportunity for Wolves (in trade). How can Wolves build long term around Edwards? And yes, that can be done while staying win-now, playoff team. And if done right, build a team better in the longterm.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#103 » by ShootersShoot » Wed May 15, 2024 3:45 am

louc1970 wrote:
ShootersShoot wrote:
louc1970 wrote:I don't see that working. Towns and Banchero play the same spot. And if you are taking Wagner off the table, there is very little Wolves would want back.
Centers are of little value with Gobert there. It would have to include Wagner and Anthony.

Towns wouldnt be any worse of a fit in the frontcourt with Banchero than with Gobert. KAT can just slide back to center.

One of the reasons Wolves went after Gobert was Towns was wanting to be moved if he had to continue playing center. They placated him.

I dont know about any of that, but fit-wise I think it could work.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#104 » by Anderson Hunt » Wed May 15, 2024 4:28 am

MIN - Ingram
NOP - Giddey, filler, and picks
OKC - Towns
LaLover11
Starter
And1: 1,267

Post#105 » by LaLover11 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:31 am

Bradley Beal
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,839

Post#106 » by durden_tyler » Wed May 15, 2024 5:14 am

Bump. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,616

Post#107 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed May 15, 2024 5:44 am

Mr B wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:
He is quite significantly better then Kat, but he can't shoot anymore besides upclose middies. Prolly the worst 3pt shooting star big out there.

Wouldn't be good fit next to Gobert due to that. Even if AD wanna be a 4 full time. It actually makes more sense to trade Gobert for AD lol, and let Kat stretch the D.

Davis wouldn’t survive one of our Minnesota winters.

Have you seen the Stephon Marbury interview where he says that was THE reason he asked for a trade? He loved the team and KG but just couldn’t stand the winters.

Yeah. That's a lie from Marbury. He might have hated the winters... but that's not why he left.

He left because he was selfish and dumb... and was easily influenced by the hangers-on in his own family.

- Marbury left because he was jealous of Kevin Garnett's money. That's the ONLY reason. The NBA changed contracts after Garnett, so it was impossible for Marbury to make as much money. He didn't care. He asked for it anyway. And when told that it's impossible... he demanded a trade.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,616

Post#108 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed May 15, 2024 5:46 am

ShootersShoot wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
ShootersShoot wrote:
Towns wouldnt be any worse of a fit in the frontcourt with Banchero than with Gobert. KAT can just slide back to center.

One of the reasons Wolves went after Gobert was Towns was wanting to be moved if he had to continue playing center. They placated him.

I dont know about any of that, but fit-wise I think it could work.

About 10 posters have questioned that guy's take.

Maybe it's time we just say he's full of $*(#.

It's beyond obvious it's simply not true.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 771

Post#109 » by karch34 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:03 am

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Davis wouldn’t survive one of our Minnesota winters.

Have you seen the Stephon Marbury interview where he says that was THE reason he asked for a trade? He loved the team and KG but just couldn’t stand the winters.

Yeah. That's a lie from Marbury. He might have hated the winters... but that's not why he left.

He left because he was selfish and dumb... and was easily influenced by the hangers-on in his own family.

- Marbury left because he was jealous of Kevin Garnett's money. That's the ONLY reason. The NBA changed contracts after Garnett, so it was impossible for Marbury to make as much money. He didn't care. He asked for it anyway. And when told that it's impossible... he demanded a trade.

Yup. Anything else is Marbury trying to change the known narrative. I’ll give him a pass on bad judgement since he was young and had no one to give him good advice. But he saw what was possible those first two playoff series and walked for $ and ego.
dennythedino
Senior
And1: 625

Post#110 » by dennythedino » Fri May 17, 2024 3:56 am

Anderson Hunt wrote:
dennythedino wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:Towns is the missing piece in Oklahoma City.

If they could flip Giddey, filler, and picks for KAT, that's an absolute home run for them.

The problem is Giddey. I don't think the Wolves would want him, so it'd have to be third team involved. They need a PG, but not one like Giddey, in my opinion, but I could be wrong

At the end of the day, the Wolves' only holes are their future at PG and somehow upgrading from KAT at PF, which is difficult because the perfect fit there is actually a dynamic jumpshooting four, and Towns is that.

McDaniel could conceivably slide over to PF as well if they replaced Towns with an established wing (ie. Paul George).

OKC doesn't have the salary filler required to trade for KAT. Hayward is expiring and they cut ties with all of their dead weight contracts (Kevin Porter Jr, Rudy Gay).

I can't do the research right now, but I'm guessing they have capspace, so maybe a sign and trade for Towns. I do know that sign and trades, however, are extremely complicated and limited in scope, so that may be a reach on my part.

I believe the player that is "signed and traded" can only be traded by themselves and can't be packaged with other salaries. So any trade involving KAT to the Thunder would probably involve a 3rd team.

KAT and Chet would be a good, complementary frontcourt though.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#111 » by life_saver » Fri May 17, 2024 4:18 am

Considering Jokic is gonna continue being a problem in West for few years, I don't think trading KAT is the best idea despite him being overpaid. KAT is frustrating but he also is such a unique player that makes Wolves more dangerous when he is on. He has shown improvements in this playoffs when compared to his earlier playoffs trips. He also has been in foul trouble less often this time and in general, his decision making has gotten better. Unless KAT has a stinker in G7, I think the most likely option for Wolves is to run it back and hope both Ant, Jaden continue getting better, especially Jaden. The key for next season for Wolves coaching staff is to improve Ant-KAT two man game...it's just not there yet.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#112 » by Anderson Hunt » Fri May 17, 2024 9:19 am

dennythedino wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:
dennythedino wrote:
OKC doesn't have the salary filler required to trade for KAT. Hayward is expiring and they cut ties with all of their dead weight contracts (Kevin Porter Jr, Rudy Gay).

I can't do the research right now, but I'm guessing they have capspace, so maybe a sign and trade for Towns. I do know that sign and trades, however, are extremely complicated and limited in scope, so that may be a reach on my part.

I believe the player that is "signed and traded" can only be traded by themselves and can't be packaged with other salaries. So any trade involving KAT to the Thunder would probably involve a 3rd team.

KAT and Chet would be a good, complementary frontcourt though.

Yes, to me, if I'm OKC, Towns is the piece I'd go after harder than anyone else.
SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,374

Post#113 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Mon May 27, 2024 2:42 am

We need to talk about this again.
Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 11,006

Post#114 » by Swish1906 » Mon May 27, 2024 2:47 am

Julius Randle in an epic swap
Handlez
Senior
And1: 823

Post#115 » by Handlez » Mon May 27, 2024 2:47 am

He's better suited as a 3rd option if you want a championship.

He's just being relied on to be something he isn't.

Still a very good player.
Astaluego
Senior
And1: 219

Post#116 » by Astaluego » Mon May 27, 2024 2:48 am

50 million next year...good luck
Old Mike Lorenzo
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 11,006

Post#117 » by Swish1906 » Mon May 27, 2024 2:58 am

Well, everything less than prime Dirk won’t be fair..
“I’m the greatest big man shooter of all time. That’s a fact. You can see the stats. I ain’t got to play like no one else. Everyone trying to find themselves to be the second version of me when I’m the first version. I don’t got to be the second version of someone else. I’m already an original. I don’t have to be a duplicate of someone else.”
LaLover11
Starter
And1: 1,267

Post#118 » by LaLover11 » Mon May 27, 2024 3:03 am

Lakers offer S&T DLo, Rui, Hayes, Gabe and picks
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
donato
Junior
And1: 629

Post#119 » by donato » Mon May 27, 2024 3:03 am

Brandon Ingram
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,997

Post#120 » by Rainwater » Mon May 27, 2024 3:05 am

Dude just saved them a week ago lol. These knee jerk reactions.

Return to The General Board