Wemby and Chet lead the league in blocks

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,433

Re: Wemby and Chet lead the league in blocks 

Post#121 » by Scalabrine » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:30 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:I'd like to add charges to stocks is what I was saying, but fair enough. I just feel like a charge is just as good if not better than a steal or block and it's a kind of hard to find stat.

You did say that, I'm just illiterate. My bad. A charge is an interesting thing to look at, though obviously guys sham BS charges, and encouraging that is a little crappy. There have been issues with that over the years.

Deflections and turnovers generated are the things we are looking for, as well as quality contests. NBA.com/stats tracks charges drawn, FWIW.

EDIT: There are only 2 guys in the league with more than 0.3 charges drawn per game, though, so it's utility to analysis is of dubious value.

Yeah those are good points. I think the lack of charges draw per game is the reason I'd like to put it in a all in one stock-like category. BSC.

I do want to see reviewable flagrant fouls being called on attempted charges where a guy slides under someone while they are in the air. It would cut down on most of that pretty quick and it's an extremely dangerous play. If not letting a guy land on a jumper can be a flagrant, then sliding under someones landing space on a drive should also be a flagrant. It's pretty much the same thing but I'd argue more dangerous.
Go Knicks!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,359

Re: Wemby and Chet lead the league in blocks 

Post#122 » by tsherkin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:38 pm

Scalabrine wrote:Yeah those are good points. I think the lack of charges draw per game is the reason I'd like to put it in a all in one stock-like category. BSC.

I dunno, I think individually they're fine. Sometimes, you don't need to unify all the info in one spot. You get a better idea of how a player approaches things looking at the individual categories. But I mean I guess you could use it for sorting/filtering purposes, and that would be useful. How many guys have like >= 2 BSCs and >= 1 deflection per game type of thing.

I do want to see reviewable flagrant fouls being called on attempted charges where a guy slides under someone while they are in the air. It would cut down on most of that pretty quick and it's an extremely dangerous play. If not letting a guy land on a jumper can be a flagrant, then sliding under someones landing space on a drive should also be a flagrant. It's pretty much the same thing but I'd argue more dangerous.

Yeah, that'd be nice.

Return to The General Board