Jontay Porter banned from the NBA

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 9,004

Re: Jontay Porter banned from the NBA 

Post#121 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:23 pm

Quick question, am I wrong to think that if a peak LeBron, or a Tatum, or Doncic, Embiid, Giannis or Jokic would do this, there is no way they receive a lifetime ban, and it's probably a silent ban instead?
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,262

Post#122 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:24 pm

Anyone have the details that don't require clicking on links to that degenerate and impossible to use site?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 14,087

Post#123 » by Rich Rane » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:25 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
UcanUwill wrote: They are not punishing player for betting, players can bet, it is legal hobby. He is getting punished for fixing his own games for betting reasons, do you really do not see the difference?

NBA players can't bet on games in the NBA or its partners (WNBA, G-League, Summer League, etc.).

Well yes, because of potential inside information advantage, which just like in stock market, is illegal. But if the guy was just caught making a wnba game bet, he wouldn't have received life ban. He fixed and tanked his own performances.

People so blinded by their betting hatred, they do not see how this hurts the game, are you guys serious? The only reason for this ban is because NBA is in bed with them? I mean they are, but they weren't, it hurts the leagues whole integrity just the same and the ban would be the same. If you imprint idea that player might fix his performance, if you imprint that idea in fans mind, NBA is terrible shape then, no one would take seriously anymore.
We had these betting scandals before, the punishments were always severe despite how much of a league partners with betting agencies.

Once again...

I personally actually agree with the ban. I like to think the NBA would also ban him if it was just G-League games. I find it funny that the league (and sports in general) is so integrated in betting now that this might be reported on during a halftime show in the playoffs along with a voiceover that will say "This halftime show is presented to you by (insert gambling partner here)" and followed by a gambling partner commercial.
jbsays
Junior
And1: 460

Post#124 » by jbsays » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:25 pm

Takes me back to when Tony shaved points while playing for the Western University Dolphins.
KembaWalker
RealGM
And1: 11,698

Post#125 » by KembaWalker » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm

Capn'O wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:Not to say this isn't deserved, because it is, but I wonder what the NBA would have done or do if this was someone like Lebron James or an upcoming superstar like Wembanyama. Someone like Jontay Porter is essentially a nobody, so it's easy to just lifetime ban him.

I think they were fortunate this was the first case that came to light. You can set a precedent without a huge impact to the league.

LeBron already got caught, like Ohtani he had a fall guy ready. Or I guess everyone already forgot the Maverick Carter story
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 18,285

Post#126 » by Slacktard » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm

I'm not saying this is massively widespread, but this isn't the only guy who has done something like this IMO. Back in the day point shaving was the main target of how a player(s) could impact a game... but this just shows how the massive spread (and ease) of which someone can do a wide variety of PROP BETS on things entirely in the control of that one specific player is just ripe for abuse.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,498

Post#127 » by phanman » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:You're the one who didn't read and doesn't understand fully what actually happened. You're practically talking to yourself about it taking 5 minutes but you didn't do it, shameful to attack something else when you're the guilty one.

"The league's investigation also found that Porter limited his own game participation to influence the outcome of one or more bets on his performance in a Raptors game"

Does that sound like he just gambled on a game? No he actually influenced the bets by tanking prop bets, like I've said 20 times in this thread already! Geez some of you are helpless.

I can't believe I have to literally paste this for you but here you go...

Do you see the last sentence? :roll:
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Post#128 » by Special_Puppy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm

Yeah this isn't even a close call.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 14,087

Post#129 » by Rich Rane » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Ban for life was easy money.

Was there a bet for that and I missed it?!

No idea. I've never gone near any of those sites.

I haven't either, but I would be really tempted to if that was something. Would make up for me passing on a boat for a mystery box. I mean a boat's a boat, but a mystery box could've been anything. It could've even been a boat!
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#130 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 pm

jowglenn wrote:Obviously they had to do this, the guy was clearly giving inside info on his own injuries/illnesses to people who were betting on his behalf. It's not at the same level of affecting outcomes like point shaving, but it's something the NBA simply cannot allow to take root in any way. Every player must now know that their career will be OVER if they bet on games or give inside info to proxy bettors.

The bigger problem going forward, as I see it, is that sports betting is still just a question of inside information. Even if a player doesn't intentionally share this info with someone to use in betting, that information is still incredibly valuable. I foresee future scandals where organized criminal groups hack into emails, texts, and computer networks of teams, coaches, medical staff, and players to obtain this insider info to use in betting. No need to hack any bank accounts or financial systems - just get access to a teams' entire email network, and read the notes from the medical staff and coaches on a players' expected return dates, etc, and you can use that for all kinds of betting purposes. This WILL happen, and it's probably going to be hard to spot when it happens - sophisticated groups will use this info smartly and covertly.

Why does it matter? If you're gambling on sports you're a scum bag. Who cares if they get screwed?
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#131 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:28 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:Not to say this isn't deserved, because it is, but I wonder what the NBA would have done or do if this was someone like Lebron James or an upcoming superstar like Wembanyama. Someone like Jontay Porter is essentially a nobody, so it's easy to just lifetime ban him.

I think they were fortunate this was the first case that came to light. You can set a precedent without a huge impact to the league.

LeBron already got caught, like Ohtani he had a fall guy ready. Or I guess everyone already forgot the Maverick Carter story

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39014978/report-maverick-carter-lebron-james-manager-used-illegal-bookmaker

My question is, how do these gambling rules pertain to representatives (agents, managers, acquaintances)? Who's to say that this isn't rampant?
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#132 » by alebaba » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:28 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Quick question, am I wrong to think that if a peak LeBron, or a Tatum, or Doncic, Embiid, Giannis or Jokic would do this, there is no way they receive a lifetime ban, and it's probably a silent ban instead?

If the details came out or got leaked, then yes.
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Post#133 » by Special_Puppy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:30 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Quick question, am I wrong to think that if a peak LeBron, or a Tatum, or Doncic, Embiid, Giannis or Jokic would do this, there is no way they receive a lifetime ban, and it's probably a silent ban instead?

If they were purposely underperforming for gambling purposes then they would 100% catch a lifetime ban.
Movics
Rookie
And1: 914

Post#134 » by Movics » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:31 pm

Are you referencing Michael Jordan, the baseball player?
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,189

Post#135 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:31 pm

alebaba wrote:

If the details came out or got leaked, then yes.

In the case of LeBron, they 100% would not give him a lifetime ban. They'd have someone like Rich Paul take the blame.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,329

Post#136 » by MrBigShot » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:31 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Keep beating your wives and parading around your guns boys lol

In this case he deserves a ban, it was not just him gambling. He was tanking prop bets that were for him so his friends and probably he could win money. That is so messed up.

So is beating your wife and leaving her battered and bruised. Just want Silver to admit that he thinks that deserves 2nd chances but addiction to gambling doesn't.

I think Miles bridges also deserves a lifetime ban, but just to be clear this wasn't merely just a ban for gambling. This was a ban for purposely playing poorly and feigning injury to help someone make $$ on a bet. Basically trying to "fix games" even though he obviously has a limited role and doesn't play much.

What he did completely undermines the integrity of the league and the league would look downright stupid if he got anything less than a lifetime ban.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,400

Post#137 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
NBA players can't bet on games in the NBA or its partners (WNBA, G-League, Summer League, etc.).

Well yes, because of potential inside information advantage, which just like in stock market, is illegal. But if the guy was just caught making a wnba game bet, he wouldn't have received life ban. He fixed and tanked his own performances.

People so blinded by their betting hatred, they do not see how this hurts the game, are you guys serious? The only reason for this ban is because NBA is in bed with them? I mean they are, but they weren't, it hurts the leagues whole integrity just the same and the ban would be the same. If you imprint idea that player might fix his performance, if you imprint that idea in fans mind, NBA is terrible shape then, no one would take seriously anymore.
We had these betting scandals before, the punishments were always severe despite how much of a league partners with betting agencies.

Once again...

I personally actually agree with the ban. I like to think the NBA would also ban him if it was just G-League games. I find it funny that the league (and sports in general) is so integrated in betting now that this might be reported on during a halftime show in the playoffs along with a voiceover that will say "This halftime show is presented to you by (insert gambling partner here)" and followed by a gambling partner commercial.

I mean I get it, but there is a huge difference between betting and even promoting betting and illegal betting and even fixing your game results.

I mean, you can sell and even advertise STIHL, While still thinking Ed Gein was a bad guy. Extreme example again, I know, but the idea is the same.

Fascinating to see grown people here say Porter is just a guy who "bet", like yeah, that's it, there's nothing more to it... Betting was a tool he used to hurt the league and his own team.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#138 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:33 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:So what about players who do steroids on purpose? Aren't they cheating the game? Why are they allowed to come back?

No. Steroids are doing the right thing and taking care of their body! The anti steroid stuff is just gross.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,128

Post#139 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:35 pm

phanman wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:You're the one who didn't read and doesn't understand fully what actually happened. You're practically talking to yourself about it taking 5 minutes but you didn't do it, shameful to attack something else when you're the guilty one.

"The league's investigation also found that Porter limited his own game participation to influence the outcome of one or more bets on his performance in a Raptors game"

Does that sound like he just gambled on a game? No he actually influenced the bets by tanking prop bets, like I've said 20 times in this thread already! Geez some of you are helpless.

I can't believe I have to literally paste this for you but here you go...

Do you see the last sentence? :roll:

I already copied the EXACT same thing for you are you doing ok? I said he didn't get banned for simply gambling, he tanked prop bets to influence gambling. That is not the same thing. If you need help, call 9/11.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,707

Post#140 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 pm

After hearing this all, there is no coincidence why he signed in Toronto. There is no match fixing law unlike in the US. And the games he quit playing early were in Toronto only. He knew exactly what he was doing. See ya for life.

What a **** dumbass. What a waste of even minimal talent.

Return to The General Board