76ers epic chokejob vs. Knicks in Game 2

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 197

Re: 76ers drop epic chokejob vs. Knicks in Game 2 

Post#121 » by 9th Wonder » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:32 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
liquidswords wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
12-29 from the field. Guy has to show up.

lol he's literally on 1 leg. Have you not been watching the games?

I have. But he's always on 1 leg at this point in the season. The excuse sort of falls flat at this point.

I don't think many people are excusing him. Expecting MVP production from a guy that's limping around the court just isn't logical. There are many examples in the past that you can fairly point to of Embiid under-delivering in the playoffs. So far, this series is not one of those. He played 39 impactful minutes and more or less hit his season averages, albeit on poor efficiency. Not to go too far down that road, because I agree that he was inefficient, but he missed four FTs and an end-of-quarter heave. All things considered, he played well.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Re: 76ers epic chokejob vs. Knicks in Game 2 

Post#122 » by cgf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:55 pm

liquidswords wrote:Was definitely a choke job but man did Maxey get manhandled twice on that final Philly possession

TBF if the refs had called that tightly it would've still been knicks ball because Maxey ran into Hart and shoved him with both hands before Brunson's jersey tug or the in-bounds :dontknow:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,576

Post#123 » by gavran » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:25 pm

cgf wrote:
liquidswords wrote:Was definitely a choke job but man did Maxey get manhandled twice on that final Philly possession

TBF if the refs had called that tightly it would've still been knicks ball because Maxey ran into Hart and shoved him with both hands before Brunson's jersey tug or the in-bounds :dontknow:

No, that does not fit the narrative, thus is did not happen. I have still images to prove it.

See? Not even close to Josh Hart.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,875

Post#124 » by Nuntius » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:56 pm

9th Wonder wrote:
XTC wrote:It's crazy how much Embiid's game drops during the playoffs. I'm starting to feel bad for Philly fans.

It's often true that he underperforms in the playoffs, but it's obvious that he's limping around the court. Still, he managed 39 impactful minutes. There are lots of reasons to be upset as a Philly fan, this year and in years past, but I'm not disappointed with what Embiid has given, accounting for the circumstances.

I'd say that this fair. Embiid is clearly not healthy now and he's definitely giving it his all even while hobbled. And that has been a constant in Embiid's career. He is just never fully healthy in the playoffs.

But that is also the main problem with Embiid. We cannot keep expecting him to magically have a fully healthy post-season. At this point, it's probably more fair to assume that he'll be facing some kind of injury and only be 70-80% during the post-season.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,013

Post#125 » by Quattro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:10 pm

Nuntius wrote:
9th Wonder wrote:
XTC wrote:It's crazy how much Embiid's game drops during the playoffs. I'm starting to feel bad for Philly fans.

It's often true that he underperforms in the playoffs, but it's obvious that he's limping around the court. Still, he managed 39 impactful minutes. There are lots of reasons to be upset as a Philly fan, this year and in years past, but I'm not disappointed with what Embiid has given, accounting for the circumstances.

I'd say that this fair. Embiid is clearly not healthy now and he's definitely giving it his all even while hobbled. And that has been a constant in Embiid's career. He is just never fully healthy in the playoffs.

But that is also the main problem with Embiid. We cannot keep expecting him to magically have a fully healthy post-season. At this point, it's probably more fair to assume that he'll be facing some kind of injury and only be 70-80% during the post-season.

If the sixers had any brains, they put him on a Kawhi Leonard circa 2019 load management plan next year. Fines be damned, MVP be damned. You've got to find a way to get this guy into the playoffs fresh and healthy.
cgf
RealGM

Post#126 » by cgf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:12 pm

Quattro wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
9th Wonder wrote:

If the sixers had any brains, they put him on a Kawhi Leonard circa 2019 load management plan next year. Fines be damned, MVP be damned. You've got to find a way to get this guy into the playoffs fresh and healthy.

I do wonder how much is them just asking him to do too much through the course of the regular season.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 553

Post#127 » by famicommander » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:12 pm

Embiid has shot under 50% in 9 consecutive playoff games.

He ain't built for the postseason. Not mentally, and damn sure not physically.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,473

Post#128 » by XTC » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:13 pm

Quattro wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
9th Wonder wrote:

Knowing their knee issues, Kawhi and Embiid are the two guys who need to be load managed. It's pretty much what both teams need to do to have a high chance of winning it all, and extending both guys careers.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by Nuntius » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:14 pm

Quattro wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
9th Wonder wrote:

Agreed but if they do that, they risk not making the playoffs.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
cgf
RealGM

Post#130 » by cgf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:17 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Quattro wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

They might but that doesn't have to be true of a team Embiid is on...

aj174
Senior
And1: 921

Post#131 » by aj174 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 pm

Nick nurse timeout was ignored, the heck?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,988

Re: 76ers drop epic chokejob vs. Knicks in Game 2 

Post#132 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:20 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
liquidswords wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
12-29 from the field. Guy has to show up.

lol he's literally on 1 leg. Have you not been watching the games?

I have. But he's always on 1 leg at this point in the season. The excuse sort of falls flat at this point.

It's hard to say. I think the Sixers are still winning the minutes Embiid is on the court but getting demolished when he sits. At least the net ratings are insanely lopsided. He just hasn't been able to outplay the Sixers bench' ****. Remember Greg Monroe being the Raptors MVP in that Sixers series in 2019? I think he played like 2 mins in game seven and was -10 or something. Similar to that.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#133 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:21 pm

aj174 wrote:Nick nurse timeout was ignored, the heck?

He didn't call for one until after Maxey lost control of the ball.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,473

Post#134 » by XTC » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:21 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Quattro wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Depth is key, plus giving Maxey a bigger load so he can carry the team. The team should be able to play .500 basketball without Embiid.

Looking back at the 2019 Raptors, the way they used Kawhi was damn near perfect. Sit him vs the weaker teams, let him play vs tougher teams with minute restrictions, and unchain him come playoff time. With that being said even in that instance, he was still hobbling by the time they made the finals.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by Nuntius » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:28 pm

XTC wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Quattro wrote:

Depth is key, plus giving Maxey a bigger load so he can carry the team. The team should be able to play .500 basketball without Embiid.

Looking back at the 2019 Raptors, the way they used Kawhi was damn near perfect. Sit him vs the weaker teams, let him play vs tougher teams with minute restrictions, and unchain him come playoff time. With that being said even in that instance, he was still hobbling by the time they made the finals.

Depth is indeed key but they currently don't have it. The Sixers went 16-27 in the games that Embiid missed this season. Granted, Maxey also missed some of those games but I don't think that they currently have a roster that is capable of going .500 without Embiid.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,698

Post#136 » by og15 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:28 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:

He called for one when they were struggling to inbound, twice it seemed, but can't change it now, it is what it is.
gavran
RealGM

Post#137 » by gavran » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:29 pm

No, it wasn't.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#138 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:29 pm

og15 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

He called for one when they were struggling to inbound, twice it seemed, but can't change it now, it is what it is.

not in the video I watched. he raised his arms a couple times and thought better worse of it each time.

Read on Twitter
gavran
RealGM

Post#139 » by gavran » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 pm

og15 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

He might have wanted to call one. He thinks he called one. He didn't call one.
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 197

Post#140 » by 9th Wonder » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:32 pm

Nuntius wrote:
XTC wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Depth is indeed key but they currently don't have it. The Sixers went 16-27 in the games that Embiid missed this season. Granted, Maxey also missed some of those games but I don't think that they currently have a roster that is capable of going .500 without Embiid.

To be fair to the rest of the team, Philly was completely decimated by injuries for a while. There were games where 3-4 starters were missing, along with depth pieces like Covington who's been out since December.

Return to The General Board