NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,209

Re: NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC 

Post#121 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:41 am

Tottery wrote:Inside works because of the chemistry between the 4. If Shaq was removed, you'd be taking away a lot of banter and jokes between he and Barkley.

Other sports programs have been chasing that magic for a long time and fail. If TNT loses, I bet NBC brings the guys over. It is an Emmy winning show.

The show went on for years without Shaq ruining it. He ruins the chemistry!
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#122 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:46 am

Hoop Hunter wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
Hoop Hunter wrote:Screw that. That really sucks. I hate streaming.
TNT is NOT free unless you pay for cable Lol

Streaming is da IN thing!

I didn't say anything about money.

I hate the way streaming works.
Can't just flip the channel fast.
The rewind and FF suck, most just has like a jump forward or back 15- 30 seconds.
The HD doesn't seem as sharp as Sat or cable. Both on my 77" OLED LG TV. I have 1 gig connection.
NFL looks horrible on AmazonPrime compared to DirecTV. Not even remotely close and they're both suppose 1080p.
Most formats you can't just DVR it. or start 30-40 minutes after it starts.

I despise streaming.

Man the older I get the more I can't relate to cable users. I think it's been 20 years since I even owned a TV.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#123 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:50 am

shi-woo wrote:I'll never understand the amount of love the TNT group gets. How many "I have rings and you don't" jokes can you guys stomach?

I hope this means the NBA goes more in the direction of the NFL where they actually break the game down and explain it so the people at home can understand and learn. The best we get from these shows is Jet running to a big screen and "stop it right here. This is a pick, this is a role, and this is a defender not stopping the pick and the role." That's it. 3 stooges and an Alton Brown wannabe, it just seems like something that always should have been a special more than an actually show.

It probably wont happen, but I with the crew was more professional and geared towards the actual game, and not just a but of wise cracking ex players. In the era of podcasts this is just such an out dated model.

It's always bothered me that anyone who didn't play basketball could watch the NBA for a decade and not be able to tell you a damn thing about the actual game. Everyone knows what shotgun, pitch, hail mary, 3-4/4-3, flea flicker, cover 2, QB spy, crossrouts, ect ect

Do people even know what Horns is? Do people even know what the mythical triangle offense is? What a Box and 1 zone is? Elevator play?

I've met people who have watched the NBA for years, and never realized that plays are called and run for a large portion of the game :lol:

The game is fluid, I get it, but there has been zero effort to actually explain the game of basketball. I get watching to laugh at Chuck and Shaq acting like the 3 stooges but i would like some actual inside once in a while.

I miss Chuck Daly being a part of the TNT/TBS coverage. He might have been the last guy who actually broke down anything.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#124 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:51 am

Mk0 wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:Please do it.

No more Kenny and Shaq would be amazing.

Someone either here or reddit said EJ wouldn't leave TNT. He has been there for almost 40 years and would just do MLB/golf.

I think he's under contract. And lets be real...he is the reason the show works at all. Otherwise it would be a train wreck with shaq and chuck never shutting up or moving on.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,379

Post#125 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:56 am

I think folks are too worried about Inside the NBA. Those guys will just go to NBC to continue, except for Ernie who will need to be replaced.
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,417

Post#126 » by Tottery » Fri May 10, 2024 6:07 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
Tottery wrote:Inside works because of the chemistry between the 4. If Shaq was removed, you'd be taking away a lot of banter and jokes between he and Barkley.

Other sports programs have been chasing that magic for a long time and fail. If TNT loses, I bet NBC brings the guys over. It is an Emmy winning show.
They will not bring anyone over cause they are boring.

100% will bring Barkley over. Ernie aint leaving.
Tottery
Bench Warmer

Post#127 » by Tottery » Fri May 10, 2024 6:08 am

ForeverTFC wrote:

Most of us remember inside without Shaq. Honestly as long as they get Chuck, EJ and Kenny, it will be good.

Ernie isn't leaving TNT.
Tottery
Bench Warmer

Post#128 » by Tottery » Fri May 10, 2024 6:09 am

dhsilv2 wrote:

Nah. He encourages Charles to talk ish.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,462

Post#129 » by svart » Fri May 10, 2024 6:13 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Why do people care about the stupid NBA song? You would rather have that over Inside the NBA? Dumbest thing I've ever heard

I don't know why people care about Inside the NBA. These guys are over 60 (well Shaq isn't). Time to put them out to pasture. I watch basketball for the games. ESPN's presentation sucks no doubt, but if the game on air is good, I just tune them out.

we just like chuck eating churros.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
shza
Pro Prospect
And1: 893

Post#130 » by shza » Fri May 10, 2024 8:18 am

NYPiston wrote:
shza wrote:Agree with all the comments about Inside — though it would not surprise me if NBC bought the show or at least the guys.

Hopefully they do NOT bring over Ian Eagle — I have never been as bothered by a commentator’s voice/vowel pronunciation as I am by him.

I gotta disagree with you on this one. Ian Eagle is one of the best out there, he's sort of a Kevin Harlan type that can make anything sound exciting.,

Except Evin Harlan has a great voice (basically Marv Albert’s voice) and Ian Eagle has an unlistenable voice.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#131 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:23 am

Tottery wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Nah. He encourages Charles to talk ish.

Chuck is great when he complements actual analysis with jokes. He's not good responding to a babbling idiot. I legit can't grasp how any high functioning adult could find what Shaq does anything but distracting and a negative to the show.

Do you not remember the show before Shaq? I mean I get it...Chuck even at first was a bit difficult to deal with. But over time, he dropped enough LOL's we all saw the value. But now with shaq...it's unwatchable at times.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#132 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:26 am

Wolfgang630 wrote:I think folks are too worried about Inside the NBA. Those guys will just go to NBC to continue, except for Ernie who will need to be replaced.

Ernie is completely irreplaceable. He's not just their most important guy but he's the foundation of the whole show. There's just nobody like him who could keep shaq and chuck from just ruining a show.
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,623

Post#133 » by 1993Playoffs » Fri May 10, 2024 8:35 am

Shaq is terrible. It’s been a long time but the show was way better before he came
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 4,165

Post#134 » by hauntedcomputer » Fri May 10, 2024 11:07 am

I'd rather have worms in my brain than listen to Ol' Mumblemouth. Chuck's okay except for his horrible predictions. Kenny just flailing to keep his head above water.

But TNT Overtime is the only free streaming hoops aside from piracy. It would be a shame to lose that.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,246

Post#135 » by Mamba81p » Fri May 10, 2024 11:57 am

ESPN cannot be replaced as much as we hate their pregame/halftime show. When they don't have the rights for a league they usually ignore it in their shows/sports center. That exposure is very valuable for a league like NBA that is still growing. NFL doesn't need them, but NBA does
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,233

Post#136 » by theFireBlanket » Fri May 10, 2024 12:33 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:But TNT Overtime is the only free streaming hoops aside from piracy. It would be a shame to lose that.

NBC/TNT= best outcome. ESPN has the worst basketball coverage anyway. Disney/NBA not letting that happen though.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#137 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:56 pm

Mamba81p wrote:ESPN cannot be replaced as much as we hate their pregame/halftime show. When they don't have the rights for a league they usually ignore it in their shows/sports center. That exposure is very valuable for a league like NBA that is still growing. NFL doesn't need them, but NBA does

The NBA was far better before ESPN! This is just nonsense!
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,224

Post#138 » by Shaka_Zulu » Fri May 10, 2024 2:20 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:I think folks are too worried about Inside the NBA. Those guys will just go to NBC to continue, except for Ernie who will need to be replaced.

Chuck is the biggiest draw there (very likeable and down to earth) , but Ernie is the most important. He is the glue that makes it all work.
the sea duck
Pro Prospect
And1: 632

Post#139 » by the sea duck » Fri May 10, 2024 2:29 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:ESPN cannot be replaced as much as we hate their pregame/halftime show. When they don't have the rights for a league they usually ignore it in their shows/sports center. That exposure is very valuable for a league like NBA that is still growing. NFL doesn't need them, but NBA does

The NBA was far better before ESPN! This is just nonsense!

espn actual game presentations suck. but they do put more effort and attention into promoting the league when they are partners. i'm not sure what that's worth any more because i don't watch espn, but i know it was a boost when they moved to abc/espn.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,419

Post#140 » by Scalabrine » Fri May 10, 2024 2:54 pm

Anticon wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:A few things -

ESPN is absolute hot garbage.

Their presentation and their personnel is awful. I hate watching games on their network.

Should have replaced ESPN with NBC and kept TNT, who does a great job with their coverage.

I still hope the Inside guys can reunite on Amazon or NBC if this indeed happens. We can't lose Inside in this fashion. We need them back.

What I've never gotten is how ESPN just consistently produces unwatchable game coverage. Just cartoonish and over the top no matter who is involved.

...they are run by a cartoon mouse.
Go Knicks!

Return to The General Board