Nikola Jokic Supernova

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,052

Re: Nikola Jokic Supernova 

Post#121 » by TheGeneral99 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:50 pm

BigGargamel wrote:I don't think anyone can do anything to put them over Jordan to me. I watched his prime. He should realistically had 6-8 MVP's.

I think if Jokic continues his career trajectory, he will definitely end up top 5. His run right now is GOAT worthy, and I think that's what people mean. If he can win back to back championships with no one else on the roster even close to All Star worthy, that's GOAT accomplishments to me.

The dominant runs I've seen in my lifetime are probably Jordan, Shaq, LeBron, Curry and Jokic. Jokic's current run is as good, if not better, than all of those players. And Jokic has half the talent surrounding him that those other guys did.

The Ant = Jordan conversations though? :lol: I'm lost on that one as well.

I agree with you.

For Jokic it will depend for how long he can sustain this level of greatness. He's only 29. Given his style of play, I hope he can play at an elite level well into his late 30s. He doesn't rely on explosiveness and elite athleticism at all.

Obviously if he wins another 1-2 MVPs and 2-3 more championships, that would put him right there in the conversation with Lebron and Jordan. Maybe below Jordan, but right there with Lebron.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,348

Post#122 » by amcoolio » Wed May 15, 2024 7:54 pm

It's just impossible to cover a 7 footer with touch and shooting skill like that, I think only one plyer in the world can do it, Wemby, because of Wemby's length. It's why Zach Edey should be going a lot higher in the draft than mocked... someone that big and huge with touch around the basket is automatic and only San Antonio can stop it because they won a lucky lottery like always
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#123 » by tcheco » Wed May 15, 2024 7:55 pm

BigGargamel wrote:I don't think anyone can do anything to put them over Jordan to me. I watched his prime. He should realistically had 6-8 MVP's.

I think if Jokic continues his career trajectory, he will definitely end up top 5. His run right now is GOAT worthy, and I think that's what people mean. If he can win back to back championships with no one else on the roster even close to All Star worthy, that's GOAT accomplishments to me.

The dominant runs I've seen in my lifetime are probably Jordan, Shaq, LeBron, Curry and Jokic. Jokic's current run is as good, if not better, than all of those players. And Jokic has half the talent surrounding him that those other guys did.

The Ant = Jordan conversations though? :lol: I'm lost on that one as well.

I do wanna see how he will handle the longevity part, which is the reason I have Duncan on my top5. They way he managed to have elite defense until the last year of his career and win titles in 3 different decades, with varying rosters around him... amazing.

Hopefully Jokic enjoys basketball enough to give us 7 more years at least
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,410

Post#124 » by picc » Wed May 15, 2024 8:06 pm

I watched this game late last night when I was high af.

Think about how crazy it was to you. Then imagine being blazed up.

I thought this fool was one of the X-Men. :o Mutant powers was the only explanation that seemed possible.
NirvanaFC
Veteran
And1: 2,600

Post#125 » by NirvanaFC » Wed May 15, 2024 8:19 pm

Did he score more than 1 point per minute in the regular season though? Embiid is better.
Lakers824
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#126 » by Lakers824 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:17 am

bstein14 wrote:The craziest thing to me is the basketball minds that try to constantly discredit him. Mark Jackson not having him top 5 in MVP voting. Shaq going on a rant about how Jokic didn't deserve it a 3rd time, etc. Honestly Embiid was amazing this year until he got injured but Jokic is clearly the best player in the league and deserved it. The GOAT at passing out of a double time. The last four year stretch from Jokic is one of the top four year stretches in NBA history and likely the best since Jordan from 89-93. There's a step between Jokic and everyone else that we haven't had in a while. LeBron was not this much better than KD, Steph, Kobe, etc when he peaked I always felt there were other guys real close but with Jokic it feels like he is on a tier by himself.

I was looking at the impact stats and that's the conclusion I came up with as well. He's the best player in over 30 years. LeBron's 2009-2013 is close but he wasn't this dominant. Its as if the talking heads either don't understand the impact he has, or that he just isn't the person they want to position as the face of the league, because the coverage is diabolically bad.

He's heads and shoulders by himself and they all really should be giving his dominance the type of attention it deserves because this can all end overnight, and he can drop off without anyone noticing ala LeBron James in 2014. Who would have thought in 2013 with Miami winning their second straight title and LeBron at his absolute peak that he'd never win another MVP again, never lead the league in PER again, never lead the league in winshares again, in BPM again etc etc. Players drop off and we don't and won't see the decline coming, which is why we should appreciate them when they are at their absolute peaks.
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 39,544

Post#127 » by PierceFan4ever » Thu May 16, 2024 4:27 am

Lakers824 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:The craziest thing to me is the basketball minds that try to constantly discredit him. Mark Jackson not having him top 5 in MVP voting. Shaq going on a rant about how Jokic didn't deserve it a 3rd time, etc. Honestly Embiid was amazing this year until he got injured but Jokic is clearly the best player in the league and deserved it. The GOAT at passing out of a double time. The last four year stretch from Jokic is one of the top four year stretches in NBA history and likely the best since Jordan from 89-93. There's a step between Jokic and everyone else that we haven't had in a while. LeBron was not this much better than KD, Steph, Kobe, etc when he peaked I always felt there were other guys real close but with Jokic it feels like he is on a tier by himself.

I was looking at the impact stats and that's the conclusion I came up with as well. He's the best player in over 30 years. LeBron's 2009-2013 is close but he wasn't this dominant. Its as if the talking heads either don't understand the impact he has, or that he just isn't the person they want to position as the face of the league, because the coverage is diabolically bad.

He's heads and shoulders by himself and they all really should be giving his dominance the type of attention it deserves because this can all end overnight, and he can drop off without anyone noticing ala LeBron James in 2014. Who would have thought in 2013 with Miami winning their second straight title and LeBron at his absolute peak that he'd never win another MVP again, never lead the league in PER again, never lead the league in winshares again, in BPM again etc etc. Players drop off and we don't and won't see the decline coming, which is why we should appreciate them when they are at their absolute peaks.

Facts, Lebron was pretty damn dominant from 09-13 as well but im giving Jokic the edge. There’s just no answer to slow him down and doesn’t play with other all stars. If you want to beat the nuggets you just pray you slow other players down because there’s no stopping him in a 7 game series.

Like people shouldn’t be taking this for granted just how ridiculous Jokic is at basketball
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,654

Post#128 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu May 16, 2024 5:25 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Okay so after a good night's sleep I woke up and decided to research what the professionals are saying about Jokic.

They all agree and we all agree he's the best player in the NBA. That's not debatable. Now the GOAT is where people lost me last night. I think Colin Cowherd said he was in the top 10 players of all-time list. Nobody else even mentioned him as the GOAT.

So I have come to the conclusion this GOAT talk about Jokic is just a real GM thing.
So I will let the kiddies crown their GOAT as they please.

Now that we have settled that nonsense from last night. I think it's fair to say Jokic is about to win his 2nd championship with 3 MVPs. He's going to be in my top 10 if this does indeed happen. Jokic will be a top 10 player after he wins a championship. He has a long way to go before I call him the best player to ever play basketball.

Was this a fair honest opinion about Jokic?

you keep mixing up playing at goat level and being the actual goat. You need volume and consistency to be there for actual goat career consideration.
goat peak? that's debatable but a worthy discussion, in particular if he ends up winning the ring again. Whenever a guy reaches the status of "undisputed best" he becomes a worthy candidate
Слава Украине!

Return to The General Board