2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #2 New York Knicks vs. #7 Philadelphia 76ers (NYK WINS 4-2)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins?

Knicks in 4
6%
Knicks in 5
21%
Knicks in 6
29%
Knicks in 7
11%
Sixers in 4
2%
Sixers in 5
3%
Sixers in 6
18%
Sixers in 7
11%

Total votes: 345

bronxknicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 1,565

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #2 New York Knicks vs. #7 Philadelphia 76ers 

Post#141 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:52 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Fightin' words!

thanks for the bulletin board material bum! :lol: 8-)

well, he's not wrong..

Using the word “easy” about any playoff matchup still seems disrespectful. Especially when you haven’t fared well in that matchup this season.
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 1,565

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #2 New York Knicks vs. #7 Philadelphia 76ers 

Post#142 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:53 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
bebopdeluxe wrote:Interesting. Vegas has Sixers as the favorites, but the overwhelming majority of the posts in this thread have the Knicks in 5 or 6.

So, what specific things are the sharps in Vegas missing? I guess they are ready to give money away - yes?

that embiid is anything but a lock to finish this series intact

So why is Vegas picking the Sixers? If they believed Embiid won't make it through the series, they would be favoring the Knicks - right?

You may think that embiid might not make it through the series, but it seems that Vegas doesn't agree with you.

I think Vegas is picking the Sixers - despite not having homecourt - because 1) they have two of the three best players in the series; and 2) they have the better coach.

Vegas favored the Cavs over the Knicks last year too. Wouldn’t go strictly off what the books says
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,437

Post#143 » by SerialChiller » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:05 pm

People are so sensitive lol. Reed literally just said what we are all thinking and know to be the truth. He said they'd rather play a 50 win team with a +4.6 point differential than a 64 win team with a +11.4 point differential. Oh and he said that it's an easier matchup? OMG what a fool! Personally I don't care for the talking, but he didn't say anything that bad imo...
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,934

Post#144 » by kuclas » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:06 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:
cgf wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:Sixers have better personnel to handle Brunson than the Knicks do to handle Embiid.

You think? We can throw Robinson, Hartenstein, Anunoby, and Achiuwa at Joel.

Him being healthy enough to play his usual game is the big if, but I think that Robinson and Hartenstein don't have the mass. To me, the recipe to stop Embiid is having a big strong body like Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol, Robin Lopez, or even Aron Baynes. They hold their weight and don't let him push them around or fall for the foul baiting.

The other recipe is having many long perimeter defenders and a defensive concept to swarm Embiid with double teams like the role players on the toughest Celtics and Raptors teams that shut him down. Knicks have a couple of strong perimeter defenders, but I don't think they have the consistent length and activity across the whole lineup nor the heavy big men to try to slow him down adequately.

I don't think that's necessarily the worst thing. Sometimes Embiid can be the detriment of his own team, especially if he is hobbled like now. But I do think he has the potential to eat in terms of individual production, which sometimes is what you need in scrappy playoffs games.

Left off Al Horford who is his ultimate kryptonite, who has a strong base in his own right, but honestly is just a savvy defender and Embiid's father so kind of a different situation.

Embiid vision has improved dramatically the last 2 season. Some of it is due to just experience now.

He won’t ever have the vision of jokic. But it’s so much better than tunnel vision he has had in the past.

That pass last night 96-96 tie game to Kelly oubrie. He doesn’t see that open cutter 2-3 years ago.

So swarming used to work really well with embiid. He makes more correct reads these days as evident by his much higher assists rate.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,525

Post#145 » by blueNorange » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:07 pm

put og/deuce on maxey at all times
have ihart/robinson rough up embiid
knicks role players >>>>>>>>>>> sixers role players
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,556

Post#146 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:16 pm

This is not the Knicks of the past. Brunson has single handily changed the culture in NY.

I don't think a hobbled Embiid will be much of a factor in this series.

Knicks in 6.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 996

Post#147 » by Tony Franciosa » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:18 pm

Looking forward to hating on a relevant NYK again... it's been a while. :D
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,156

Post#148 » by Exp0sed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:46 pm

bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

well, he's not wrong..

Using the word “easy” about any playoff matchup still seems disrespectful. Especially when you haven’t fared well in that matchup this season.

he didn't say "easy" tho, he said: "easier"
there's a difference between the two..easy is def disrespectful and would also be false seeing as these teams on paper are about evenly matched, even if one is a fav - it isn't by much

however, "easier", isn't disrespectful and it's objectively a true statement.
Celtics are a better team than the Knicks, it'd be hard to argue otherwise
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,534

Post#149 » by Snotbubbles » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:52 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
bebopdeluxe wrote:Interesting. Vegas has Sixers as the favorites, but the overwhelming majority of the posts in this thread have the Knicks in 5 or 6.

So, what specific things are the sharps in Vegas missing? I guess they are ready to give money away - yes?

that embiid is anything but a lock to finish this series intact

So why is Vegas picking the Sixers? If they believed Embiid won't make it through the series, they would be favoring the Knicks - right?

You may think that embiid might not make it through the series, but it seems that Vegas doesn't agree with you.

I think Vegas is picking the Sixers - despite not having homecourt - because 1) they have two of the three best players in the series; and 2) they have the better coach.

The Sixers are the better team. They are 31-8 when Embiid plays, that's a 65 win pace and they're one of the hottest teams right now winning 9 games in a row.

The Miami defense played a major role in the way Embiid looked (and the Sixers) looked in the first half. I give them credit, they really pressured the Sixers. I'm even more impressed with Philly for figuring the zone out, it's something that wouldn't have happened under their previous coaching.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man

Post#150 » by Snotbubbles » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

Ambrose wrote:This is the 6ers best shot at getting to the WCF. I'm leaning Philly in 7.

The Sixers getting to the WCF would be a first in team history.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man

Post#151 » by Snotbubbles » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 pm

bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

well, he's not wrong..

He's not wrong. There's a difference between saying the Knicker are the easier matchup (compared to a 60+ win team) and the Knicks are an easy matchup. He said the former, not the latter.
Exp0sed
Head Coach

Post#152 » by Exp0sed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:07 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
bebopdeluxe wrote:
DaGawd wrote:that embiid is anything but a lock to finish this series intact

The Sixers are the better team. They are 31-8 when Embiid plays, that's a 65 win pace and they're one of the hottest teams right now winning 9 games in a row.

The Miami defense played a major role in the way Embiid looked (and the Sixers) looked in the first half. I give them credit, they really pressured the Sixers. I'm even more impressed with Philly for figuring the zone out, it's something that wouldn't have happened under their previous coaching.

sure they're 31-8 when he plays, but he usually plays vs. Charlotte, Wizards and Detroit while load-managing away game vs. playoff teams. what do u think the Knicks record be againt mostly tanking teams ;)

I don't think anyone can take Joe L seriously in the playoffs, last night was a shining example of that
dude is shattering scoring records vs. low quality teams, hogs all the usage in the rs and in the playoffs, he suddenly defers to everyone else. that's a phenomenon we've never seen before haha, he really is one of a kind :)

if Oubre doesn't make a reckless non natural move and injures Jimmy, they wouldn't have even beaten the Heat..
if they expect Batum to lead them in the playoffs, 76ers fans are going to be disappointed

I actually thought this year would be different, because expectations are way down, supporting cast is excellent, Maxey is the bomb, Nurse is a legit coach and Joe L had two full months of rest, kinda like the rested bubble AD

but 10 mins into the play-in game it was very evident that Embiid is just who he is

Knicks in 6, imo
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,555

Post#153 » by Ambrose » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:10 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
Ambrose wrote:This is the 6ers best shot at getting to the WCF. I'm leaning Philly in 7.

The Sixers getting to the WCF would be a first in team history.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ECF, I'm an idiot.
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,704

Post#154 » by shtolky » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:13 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
bebopdeluxe wrote:

Not so sure the 76ers are the better team right now. Sure they have won 9 in a row but they had a pretty easy schedule to end the season. Embiid is clearly hobbled and they barely won last with no Robinson/Rozier and a very hobbled Butler. The Knicks are 20-3 when OG plays and they’ve also been hot to end the year. Brunson has been on an insane tear and the Knicks have home court advantage. The series is going to hinge on whether or not Embiid can play at a superstar level all series. If he’s significantly hobbled, I can’t see Philly winning. He didn’t look great last night regardless of Miami’s D, just the way he moved. The Knicks are going to beat the crap out of him all series long with a lot of different looks.

Great username btw.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Post#155 » by cgf » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:55 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
bebopdeluxe wrote:

Knicks are 20-3 when OG plays, that's a 71-win pace and they just charged up the standings to take the 2 seed while Philly surged into 7th :dontknow:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 18,125

Post#156 » by Im Coming Home » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:55 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
well, he's not wrong..

He's not wrong. There's a difference between saying the Knicker are the easier matchup (compared to a 60+ win team) and the Knicks are an easy matchup. He said the former, not the latter.

Still shouldn't have said it, any little thing to motivate the Knicks is a bad move imo.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | . |
SF: Griffin | .
PF: .| Prince| .
C: Lively II | .
Exp0sed
Head Coach

Post#157 » by Exp0sed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:35 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:

Still shouldn't have said it, any little thing to motivate the Knicks is a bad move imo.

Knicks worked very hard all season only to get rewarded by the toughest matchups left in the East, I don't mean at the top but of the teams they could have gotten with a high seed

there are expectations, losing this one might cost Thibs his job..I doubt they need any extra "firing up" and I doubt of all the 1000 reasons they have to put effort and compete, I doubt an obvious statement from Paul Reed moves the needle in any direction
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,794

Post#158 » by Kurtz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:59 pm

Capn'O wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:
cgf wrote:
You think? We can throw Robinson, Hartenstein, Anunoby, and Achiuwa at Joel.

Him being healthy enough to play his usual game is the big if, but I think that Robinson and Hartenstein don't have the mass. To me, the recipe to stop Embiid is having a big strong body like Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol, Robin Lopez, or even Aron Baynes. They hold their weight and don't let him push them around or fall for the foul baiting.

The other recipe is having many long perimeter defenders and a defensive concept to swarm Embiid with double teams like the role players on the toughest Celtics and Raptors teams that shut him down. Knicks have a couple of strong perimeter defenders, but I don't think they have the consistent length and activity across the whole lineup nor the heavy big men to try to slow him down adequately.

I don't think that's necessarily the worst thing. Sometimes Embiid can be the detriment of his own team, especially if he is hobbled like now. But I do think he has the potential to eat in terms of individual production, which sometimes is what you need in scrappy playoffs games.

Left off Al Horford who is his ultimate kryptonite, who has a strong base in his own right, but honestly is just a savvy defender and Embiid's father so kind of a different situation.

Mitch is bigger than you are remembering. He's been able to bang with Embiid inside in the past. He was a bit slow to end the season though and generally struggles to guard in space. The Knicks are substantially better on offense with iHart on the floor and that's a matchup of some concern because Embiid definitely can push him around more. On the perimeter we'll be able to throw OG and Precious his way. The inside/outside switching may take some scheming but we'll likely be able to keep him in single coverage for the most part. I have no doubt he'll eat but we have the size to keep him from dominating.

Unless Nurse goes a different direction than I'm thinking, Brunson is gonna absolutely scorch you. I think he tries to keep our shooters at bay and you have nobody who can check him in single coverage as there is nobody who can.

Having watched Nick for years, I can promise you that all his attention will be on stopping Brunson. Whenever his teams would run into an opponent who had 1 elite scorer and then a huge delta between the next guy, his strategy has always been to hard double and do everything possible to get the ball out of that guy's hands all game long.

If you still had Randle, maybe that strat wouldn't be viable but there's a huge gap between Brunson and your next best scorer (Divincenzo?). The good news for you guys is that Donte has been hot and OG has ice in his veins so if you need both guys to get you an efficient 20+ they should be up to the task.
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,983

Post#159 » by One Last Shot » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:05 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:
bebopdeluxe wrote:

sure they're 31-8 when he plays, but he usually plays vs. Charlotte, Wizards and Detroit while load-managing away game vs. playoff teams. what do u think the Knicks record be againt mostly tanking teams ;)

I don't think anyone can take Joe L seriously in the playoffs, last night was a shining example of that
dude is shattering scoring records vs. low quality teams, hogs all the usage in the rs and in the playoffs, he suddenly defers to everyone else. that's a phenomenon we've never seen before haha, he really is one of a kind :)

if Oubre doesn't make a reckless non natural move and injures Jimmy, they wouldn't have even beaten the Heat..
if they expect Batum to lead them in the playoffs, 76ers fans are going to be disappointed

I actually thought this year would be different, because expectations are way down, supporting cast is excellent, Maxey is the bomb, Nurse is a legit coach and Joe L had two full months of rest, kinda like the rested bubble AD

but 10 mins into the play-in game it was very evident that Embiid is just who he is

Knicks in 6, imo

Sure first 10 minutes of the game, how about the last 3 minutes when the Sixers are down by 3 points then Embiid scored 8 straight points and a clutch assist to Oubre that basically won them the game?

Embiid beat a lot of great teams this season like the Nuggets, Celtics, Wolves, Suns, Lakers, Pacers, Bulls and beat the Thunder, Rockets, Magic and Heat twice but of course, his haters will just said he's just beating Wizards, Pistons and Hornets. He even scored 70 points on Wemby. Embiid didn't rest for 2 months, he had a surgery and work hard to be cleared to play and help his team make the playoffs and they did as the Sixers never lose a game once he's back.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 670

Post#160 » by HardenToSixers » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:25 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

I can guarantee this though - Brunson is gonna cook in this series.

Sixers have better personnel to handle Brunson than the Knicks do to handle Embiid.

it won't be nessescary, it's the playoffs! Embiid will handle himself...he is his own worst enemy
Knicks in 6
True!!! The Knicks haven’t been to the playoffs since the 70s so anything could happen!!!

Return to The General Board