What is the Knicks fascination with Jalen Brunson?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,171

Re: What is the Knicks fascination with Jalen Brunson? 

Post#181 » by Mr B » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:34 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:lol at IQ and MITCH to dallas. WHAT?

Burks and Noel for a freshly resigned Jalen Brunson.

Luka/Burk
Bullock/Dinwiddie
DFS/Burk/Bullock
Wood/Kleber
Noel/Powell

Rather thsan lose Brunson for nothing, Dallas gets two productive players on team friendly contracts. Two guys who IMO compliment Luka Donman very well.

Yeah, agreed, asking for Quickley and Robinson is too much.
How about the ones below them in the NYK rotation, Grimes and Sims?

So Grimes + Sims + Burks (for filler) and you have yourself a deal. :P

Brunson/Rose
Fournier/Quickley
Barrett/Reddish
Randle/Toppin
Robinson/Noel/Gibson

Luka/Dinwiddie
THJ/Grimes
DFS/Bullock
Kleber/Bertans
Wood/Powell/Sims

Why overpay for a guy we can outright sign? Burks and Noel gets it done...& please realize we don't need to even do that. If we can get 2nd rounders for Burk/Noel, and Brunson is ready to come to New York outright, Dallas may end up having to give up a 2nd rounder or two in order to make it a s&t.

Just curious but how are the Knicks doing on roster spots? I have no idea what the rest of their roster looks like and if they have room on the roster to sign several guys.
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,432

Post#182 » by jg77 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:37 pm

I think Brunson has another level he has yet to unlock. I understand why the Knicks are all in.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,409

Post#183 » by Scalabrine » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:48 pm

LAL1947 wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:lol at IQ and MITCH to dallas. WHAT?

Burks and Noel for a freshly resigned Jalen Brunson.

Luka/Burk
Bullock/Dinwiddie
DFS/Burk/Bullock
Wood/Kleber
Noel/Powell

Rather thsan lose Brunson for nothing, Dallas gets two productive players on team friendly contracts. Two guys who IMO compliment Luka Donman very well.

Yeah, agreed, asking for Quickley and Robinson is too much.
How about the ones below them in the NYK rotation, Grimes and Sims?

So Grimes + Sims + Burks (for filler) and you have yourself a deal. :P

Brunson/Rose
Fournier/Quickley
Barrett/Reddish
Randle/Toppin
Robinson/Noel/Gibson

Luka/Dinwiddie
THJ/Grimes
DFS/Bullock
Kleber/Bertans
Wood/Powell/Sims

I don't think you need to include any young guys in this deal. All the Knicks need to do is find someone to take Burks or Noel for cap space and the Knicks can sign Brunson with pure cap space. Those deals are both expiring (with a team option for next season) and really fair values so I feel like theres definitely a team out there that would be interested in taking them on if Dallas didn't want them. If Brunson tells Dallas he's out, then getting one or both of those guys (or Fournier) is better than losing him for nothing.
Go Knicks!
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,479

Post#184 » by bisme37 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:52 pm

Are we sure Jalen even wants to play under his dad? He's a grown man.

Maybe I'm projecting but I do not want to go to work and be bossed around by my dad.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,396

Post#185 » by Capn'O » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:08 pm

Who's ready for:

Jalen Brunson: The Decision

:onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,964

Post#186 » by Karate Diop » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:17 pm

bisme37 wrote:Are we sure Jalen even wants to play under his dad? He's a grown man.

Maybe I'm projecting but I do not want to go to work and be bossed around by my dad.

He just wants the bag and of the Knicks are going to overpay him the most that's where he'll go.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,111

Post#187 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:30 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Are we sure Jalen even wants to play under his dad? He's a grown man.

He just wants the bag and of the Knicks are going to overpay him the most that's where he'll go.

I think it aint just about the $, he wants the opportunity to shine on the biggest stage
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,832

Post#188 » by DOT » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:38 pm

Mr B wrote:Just curious but how are the Knicks doing on roster spots? I have no idea what the rest of their roster looks like and if they have room on the roster to sign several guys.

We currently have 13 guys with contracts for next year

I think the assumption is we're re-signing Mitchell Robinson, so that makes 14, and we assume we release Taj cause his contract is non-guaranteed, which makes 13

So we have 2 spots.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,396

Post#189 » by Capn'O » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:53 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Mr B wrote:The problem is the Mavs can only take back half of whatever contract he signs. So if he signs for $25M the Mavs could only take back $13M. At least that’s they way I read it. How much is Robinson expected to make? I would think the Mavs might be interested in Robinson and their 2023 FRP back.

If he's extended he's in that ballpark. That's roughly his max extension. I'd make that trade.

I personally think it would be a mistake to trade IQ for a non-star like Brunson.

I believe IQ actually has a higher ceiling than Brunson, though Brunson is a better decision-maker, craftier as a scorer, and obviously a better player today.

I could be wrong, I guess we'll see.

It's a game of "Pick Your Mistake"
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,024

Post#190 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:56 pm

DOT wrote:
Mr B wrote:Just curious but how are the Knicks doing on roster spots? I have no idea what the rest of their roster looks like and if they have room on the roster to sign several guys.

We currently have 13 guys with contracts for next year

I think the assumption is we're re-signing Mitchell Robinson, so that makes 14, and we assume we release Taj cause his contract is non-guaranteed, which makes 13. So we have 2 spots.

What's Mitchell Robinson's cap hold? Harder for me to calculate for those 2nd rounders on short contracts. Probably pretty small but bigger than a minimum.
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#191 » by They_Them_Hatin » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:00 pm

I don’t get it. Dumping the #11 pick to sign him was dumb. KD’s agent, bff, and business partner and advisor is a die hard Knicks fans and he still ain’t chose them. Plus they’re looking at tampering charges.
zshawn10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,663

Post#192 » by zshawn10 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:10 am

“From everything I’ve heard it really does sound like things have shifted and [Jalen Brunson’s] more likely than not to become a member of the Knicks as opposed to the Dallas Mavericks.” (via @JakeLFischer)

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5gY8BJmwUFkmErbD4P73dP?si=CcUjs7DWRSm2tM8XSg71VA&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A0VWBDAN7SpiIbO8xWMGEsc&nd=1
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#193 » by kombayn » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:00 am

ChartFiction wrote:He's a good player in free agency. Has dropped 40 in playoff games. Can create his own buckets easily. Young. Stats being deflated playing on Mavs. Best time for a long contract. What's surprising? The only abnormality is his internet stock has plummeted from Doncic stans.

He is already 25 though. I do think Thibs can get the most out of him and he might be the one pushing for this signing. He can be a fit on this team, but they lost just some glue guys and added someone that doesn't fit in Evan Fournier. I don't know, this is nothing but a treadmill team move for the Knicks and they ran themselves off the treadmill two seasons ago. Brunson is not a game-changer. This is the year RJ Barrett needs to figure it out otherwise, they're screwed or Randle has an awakening and not be so damn sensitive to being criticized for being the most paid player on the team and not living up to the performance.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,452

Post#194 » by Oscirus » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:58 am

If reports of free agents def coming to the knicks were true, we'd have durant by now, seeing is believing
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
xfactor99
Junior
And1: 397

Post#195 » by xfactor99 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:05 am

Brunson gives me Fred VanVleet vibes. Guy who was undervalued and a relative nobody entering the league but has shown a consistent ability to get better. I trust him to maximize his abilities even if he does he get paid. I'll be more willing to gamble on that than handing out a 4-year contract to a 30-year old who will be on the decline.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#196 » by LAL1947 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:12 am

Capn'O wrote:
Mr B wrote:The problem is the Mavs can only take back half of whatever contract he signs. So if he signs for $25M the Mavs could only take back $13M. At least that’s they way I read it. How much is Robinson expected to make? I would think the Mavs might be interested in Robinson and their 2023 FRP back.

If he's extended he's in that ballpark. That's roughly his max extension. I'd make that trade.

Isn't Robinson a UFA? That means he'd have to be signed and traded too. So how will the dollars be made to match?

Btw, which trade would you prefer to do if it came down to picking one?

S&T Brunson for:
1) Robinson + Dallas 2023 FRP
2) Grimes + Sims + Burks (filler)
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,408

Post#197 » by XTC » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:25 am

xfactor99 wrote:Brunson gives me Fred VanVleet vibes. Guy who was undervalued and a relative nobody entering the league but has shown a consistent ability to get better. I trust him to maximize his abilities even if he does he get paid. I'll be more willing to gamble on that than handing out a 4-year contract to a 30-year old who will be on the decline.

He's definetly built from the same cloth as FVV/Lowry/Billups.

Guy wears his heart on his sleeves, and will go to war for his team. Skillset aside, he brings so many intangibles, I can definetly see another gear in him.

I usually laugh at the Knicks decision making, but going after Brunson is a step in the right direction. He just seems like a leader and someone who will build a culture in NY, similar to how Lowry help shaped the Raptors.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,191

Post#198 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:45 am

Rainwater wrote:Could someone tell me what the Knicks fascination with Jalen Brunson is? He is a 3rd option (which the knicks have plenty of) at best but they are treating him like a superstar. Someone please educate me. He is a good player but not a great player.

IMO Jalen instantly becomes the best player on the Knicks...by a long margin.
Without getting too far into it, his usage hasn't gone up too much since his rookie season, BTW it's only 21, yet he has become one of the more efficient PGs in the game, he's not a turnover machine and takes care of the ball, he plays decent D, shoots the ball as well as anyone. His mid range pull up seems like it's automatic (haven't checked % on that) and the guy is about to enter his prime.
I think perhaps it's because he isn't flashy?
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,301

Post#199 » by Kampuchea » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:59 am

LAL1947 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Isn't Robinson a UFA? That means he'd have to be signed and traded too. So how will the dollars be made to match?

Btw, which trade would you prefer to do if it came down to picking one?

S&T Brunson for:
1) Robinson + Dallas 2023 FRP
2) Grimes + Sims + Burks (filler)

The Knicks will have enough space by just moving Burks, not sure why they would need to give up Grimes, Sims, Robinson.
zshawn10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,663

Post#200 » by zshawn10 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=UM0OM3wcGU-JodRFU2fcng

Return to The General Board