Who was quicker and more athletic than prime D Wade?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,990

Re: Who was quicker and more athletic than prime D Wade? 

Post#21 » by Quattro » Tue Aug 8, 2023 2:51 pm

“Maybe MJ?”

Really?
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#22 » by greg4012 » Tue Aug 8, 2023 2:59 pm

dolphinatik wrote:Drose for sure, westbrook, shawn marion. To me though Wade was faster and more athletic before he his his prime. Those first few seasons wathcing him play live you can see why Shaq called him flash. By the time he hit his prime he already changed his game but his fastest years were probably the Odom years.

D Rose still was never on D Wade's level. For instance: over Rose's best 3 seasons in the league (before injuries), he averaged 25 dunks per season. Over D Wade's best 3 seasons in the league, he averaged 115 dunks per season. Over D Wade's entire career he averaged 68 dunks per season.

People that lump peak D Wade's athleticism with the other slashing guards from the past 20 years are doing a disservice to Wade.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#23 » by DC_Melo » Tue Aug 8, 2023 3:01 pm

Prime Wade was definitely an elite athlete, even by this league’s standards, but we wasn’t alone.

More Athletic:
-MJ
-Prime Rose
-Westbrook
-Prime Shaq

On par or in the discussion:
-Prime Amare Stoudamire
-Prime Penny
-Lebron
-Spud Webb
-Vince Carter
-T-Mac
-Stevie Franchise
-Prime Igoudala
-Kobe

Possibly but never capitalized on their athleticism:
-Gerald Green
-Harold Minor
-Dee Brown (when his shoes were pumped)
-College version of Kenyon Martin

Will be at least as athletic:
-Scoot Henderson
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,934

Post#24 » by scrabbarista » Tue Aug 8, 2023 3:43 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
Fade_awayJ wrote:Image

Not the greatest gif to say he's more athletic than Wade, even though I think he is.

I saw better dunks in this summer league :lol:

Not sure what you are seeing, but that is probably one of the better dunks I’ve seen in a long time, lol. Jumping from what appears slightly outside the side of the paint, to body contact through one player, and then avoiding the hand of the second player. That was incredibly impressive, and I don’t think there was anything in summer league that was nearly as impressive. The body control is insane in that GIF.

I also like how he seems to be vertical above the rim before bringing his arm down into the hoop, as opposed to having his body moving toward the rim, like 99% of other dunks. Pretty sweet stuff.
cam24thomas
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#25 » by cam24thomas » Tue Aug 8, 2023 3:56 pm

Wade dunks the ball in a powerful way, but doesn't seem to get up high at all when compared to Rose and MJ.
I think Wade is travelling very fast at the basket - and that's why he dunks with power, because he's colliding with the basket fast - whereas Rose and MJ are hovering and floating. And because Wade is going so fast and so flat, his dunks lack variety/creativity.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,351

Post#26 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Aug 8, 2023 4:13 pm

DC_Melo wrote:Prime Wade was definitely an elite athlete, even by this league’s standards, but we wasn’t alone.

More Athletic:
-MJ
-Prime Rose
-Westbrook
-Prime Shaq

On par or in the discussion:
-Prime Amare Stoudamire
-Prime Penny
-Lebron
-Spud Webb
-Vince Carter
-T-Mac
-Stevie Franchise
-Prime Igoudala
-Kobe

Possibly but never capitalized on their athleticism:
-Gerald Green
-Harold Minor
-Dee Brown (when his shoes were pumped)
-College version of Kenyon Martin

Will be at least as athletic:
-Scoot Henderson

Ahh Prime Shaq, Most fans usually remember the Bulky heavy Shaq to bullied his way inside but I remember this guy being so mobile and fast.
Dee Brown, wow this guy had springs.
Remember the show The Superstars?
The Plot: The idea was to select ten famous athletes from the ten most popular television spectator sports. The ten sports would be baseball, football, basketball, ice hockey, auto racing, boxing, tennis, bowling (which was very popular on ABC-TV Saturday afternoons), golf and horse racing. Each of the ten athletes would select seven of ten events to compete in and would be barred from competing in their own specialty sport. The competition began with ABC Network's iconic sports announcer, Jim McKay, introducing the "Superstars at the summit."
I wish they bring it back, maybe just limit to sprint, high jump, 1500 meter, long jump etc.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,411

Post#27 » by MalonesElbows » Tue Aug 8, 2023 4:15 pm

greg4012 wrote:
dolphinatik wrote:Drose for sure, westbrook, shawn marion. To me though Wade was faster and more athletic before he his his prime. Those first few seasons wathcing him play live you can see why Shaq called him flash. By the time he hit his prime he already changed his game but his fastest years were probably the Odom years.

D Rose still was never on D Wade's level. For instance: over Rose's best 3 seasons in the league (before injuries), he averaged 25 dunks per season. Over D Wade's best 3 seasons in the league, he averaged 115 dunks per season. Over D Wade's entire career he averaged 68 dunks per season.

People that lump peak D Wade's athleticism with the other slashing guards from the past 20 years are doing a disservice to Wade.

Two inches taller matters.
kcktiny
Senior
And1: 434

Post#28 » by kcktiny » Tue Aug 8, 2023 4:42 pm

greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by greg4012 » Tue Aug 8, 2023 4:46 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

Apparently an inch is worth about 45 dunks per season then?
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,400

Post#30 » by SerialChiller » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:02 pm

Wade athleticism combined with his attack mindset was insanely fun to watch and put immense pressure on a defense. Just a fun stat I've come across, look at his career dunks compared to Kobes.

Wade threw down 1,098 dunks in 1,054 career games at 6'4.
Kobe threw down 1,001 dunks in 1,346 career games at 6'6.

Wade is the shortest player to reach 1,000 dunks in NBA history, and has the record for most dunks by a player 6'4 or shorter in a landslide.

Dwyane Wade - 1098 Dunks (6'4")
Russell Westbrook - 578 Dunks (6'3")
Bradley Beal - 313 Dunks (6'3")
Steve Francis - 302 Dunks (6'3")
Tony Allen - 297 Dunks (6'4")
John Wall - 294 Dunks (6'3")
Monta Ellis - 281 Dunks (6'3")
Victor Oladipo - 246 Dunks (6'4")
Cuttino Mobley - 219 Dunks (6'4")
Baron Davis - 202 Dunks (6'3")

*This list is from 2 seasons ago I couldn't seem to find an updated list. Wesbrook is now at 605 though so the gap is still massive*

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/dwyane_wade_holds_the_record_for_being_the_shortest_nba_player_to_reach_1000_career_dunks/s1_16751_35677517#:~:text=Wade%20finished%20his%20career%20with,even%20comes%20close%20to%20him.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,481

Post#31 » by ItsDanger » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:08 pm

In terms of quickness (I'm assuming OP means running speed with the ball), Wall in his prime was faster. Today, Jaden Ivey with the ball looks like a track athlete. But Wade edges them out in athleticism. I'm sure there were some other guys who were better but not nearly as skilled. My personal choice would be prime Shawn Kemp but its hard to compare a 6'10 PF to a 6'4 SG.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,123

Post#32 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:13 pm

This is not sped up

god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 40,007

Post#33 » by KingDavid » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:13 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:

The way he can make body contact while still packing the ball and holding the guy off with his left hand is pretty damn crazy. Mike has some pretty nuts measurements.

Because MJ has massive fkn mittens :lol:
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,210

Post#34 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:15 pm

ItsDanger wrote:In terms of quickness (I'm assuming OP means running speed with the ball), Wall in his prime was faster. Today, Jaden Ivey with the ball looks like a track athlete. But Wade edges them out in athleticism. I'm sure there were some other guys who were better but not nearly as skilled. My personal choice would be prime Shawn Kemp but its hard to compare a 6'10 PF to a 6'4 SG.

Jaden Ivey low key has one of the best first steps I’ve ever seen in my life off of doing no setup move. He’ like half a level below Mike drose and ai
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,133

Post#35 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:17 pm

greg4012 wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

Why would Rose jump to dunk when he can just hit a layup instead. It's much better for your knees
BrianFitz
Rookie
And1: 1,510

Post#36 » by BrianFitz » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:18 pm

KyRo23 wrote:

Not the greatest gif to say he's more athletic than Wade, even though I think he is.

I saw better dunks in this summer league :lol:

Yeah, ok pal
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 40,007

Post#37 » by KingDavid » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:21 pm

Quicker is the key here. He had one of the quickest first steps I've ever seen. His decel was also insane back in his day. I forgot who it was that he sent sliding across the floor from the 3pt line lol

Anyway, he's near up there with MJ when it comes to it overall, just didn't have the insane next level vertical like MJ. Wade also has big mittens too, I hated shaking his hands. He's a few inches shorter than me but engulfed my hand.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,334

Post#38 » by Lalouie » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:25 pm

DS17 wrote:Maybe D rose? Westbrook? MJ?/

david thompson

however, mj could cup the ball like very few can, and players who can cup the ball have a massive athletic advantage over those who can't
BrianFitz
Rookie
And1: 1,510

Post#39 » by BrianFitz » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:26 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:

Why would Rose jump to dunk when he can just hit a layup instead. It's much better for your knees

Sure. Seems to have worked out so well for him. Good thing he made sure to take care of his body by not dunking as much, otherwise he might not have ended up having a better career than Wade. :roll: :roll:
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by greg4012 » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:33 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:

Riiiiiiiigggghhhhhhtttttt

Return to The General Board