Does anyone even stand a hope against the Nuggets next year?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

facothomas22
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Re: Does anyone even stand a hope against the Nuggets next year? 

Post#21 » by facothomas22 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 11:46 am

Teams like the Suns, Clippers(if healthy),Celtics, Bucks, and Heat(if they get Damian Lillard) all could beat the Nuggets in a playoff series.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,725

Post#22 » by JayMKE » Fri Sep 1, 2023 11:53 am

Nuggets had the easiest path to an NBA championship since like the 50s and there was like 8 teams then, of course its not going to be easy especially when they're entirely dependent on one player.
FREE GIANNIS
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,820

Post#23 » by RoyceDa59 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 12:00 pm

Suns Lakers Celtics.
Go Raps!!
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,152

Post#24 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 12:00 pm

Depends on how hood porter is. If he can score when bench units are on to allow jokic and Murray to play together more. Watch out. And he needs to stay healthy.

If lillard gets to Miami, nobody beating them though
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,416

Post#25 » by Gusto1903 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 12:15 pm

JayMKE wrote:Nuggets had the easiest path to an NBA championship since like the 50s and there was like 8 teams then, of course its not going to be easy especially when they're entirely dependent on one player.

Easiest path how?
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,515

Post#26 » by og15 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 12:22 pm

JayMKE wrote:Nuggets had the easiest path to an NBA championship since like the 50s and there was like 8 teams then, of course its not going to be easy especially when they're entirely dependent on one player.

Entirely dependent on one player? That doesn't seem like what happened.

Have a dominant player and won't win it all without him, of course, but how is that different from many other teams?
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,083

Post#27 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri Sep 1, 2023 12:35 pm

magee wrote:It's styles-makes-fights in the NBA now. Meaning, it's all about match-ups and as a precursor, full health. Denver doesn't have the bench to repeat and is one injury away from not even making the playoffs, even if they have Jokic healthy.

:crazy: :noway: :banghead:

In 2021-22 Nuggets made the playoffs with this players being 2-9 in total minutes played

Aaron Gordon
Will Barton
Monte Morris
Jeff Green
Austin Rivers
Bones Hyland
Facundo Campazzo
JaMychal Green

Team with healthy Jokic makes playoffs
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,086

Post#28 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:03 pm

I'm interested in getting a healthy look at the Suns as well as see how Porzingis changes the Celtics before I had Denver the trophy. Milwaukee is also still looms large.

I'm super low on the LA teams and don't view them as likely contenders due to age and health. This is probably true about Golden State as well.

I've got a handful of darkhorses I'm interested in: New Orleans if they stay healthy, Cleveland if they figure out their playoff offense, Miami if they get Dame, Grizzlies just straight up.

Other teams I think could surprise people (but not quite to the contender level): OKC, Minnesota, Dallas.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,052

Post#29 » by Sofia » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:15 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:Depends on how hood porter is. If he can score when bench units are on to allow jokic and Murray to play together more. Watch out. And he needs to stay healthy.

He’s about as hood as JR Smith
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
playoffs
Sixth Man
And1: 2,967

Post#30 » by playoffs » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:22 pm

Nuggets are the favorites but so much depends on health, both for them and for their rivals. They have already lost a lot of depth and an injury to any of their top 6 players can doom them. On the other side, a healthy Warriors team is certainly a threat, as are several other teams in the west. In the east, both Boston and Milwaukee can be a threat too.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,938

Post#31 » by Jadoogar » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:28 pm

I like the Nuggets and i think they are the best team right now but there is no doubt they are worse than last year.
I think the Bucks, Celtics and Suns are legitimate threats.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,152

Post#32 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:28 pm

Sofia wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:Depends on how hood porter is. If he can score when bench units are on to allow jokic and Murray to play together more. Watch out. And he needs to stay healthy.

He’s about as hood as JR Smith

as is, yes, if he can get more out of his back injury, he could be more. and JR smith is also a wildcard like that because he could do much more than just shoot a bunch of contested shots when asked. So yeah, actually good comp, just taller.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,950

Post#33 » by nikster » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:39 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:I'm interested in getting a healthy look at the Suns as well as see how Porzingis changes the Celtics before I had Denver the trophy. Milwaukee is also still looms large.

I'm super low on the LA teams and don't view them as likely contenders due to age and health. This is probably true about Golden State as well.

I've got a handful of darkhorses I'm interested in: New Orleans if they stay healthy, Cleveland if they figure out their playoff offense, Miami if they get Dame, Grizzlies just straight up.

Other teams I think could surprise people (but not quite to the contender level): OKC, Minnesota, Dallas.

Porzingis and Boston is really interesting. Will see how he fits and opens up the floor and a threat like that from center will always help, tho still think they could have used another ball handler/playmaker. Main thing is they lost some depth and are relying on a few players with injury histories (Porzingis, Timelord, and Brogdon) or advanced age in Horford.
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,668

Post#34 » by Phystic » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:47 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:They definitely have the best top 4 by far, and the best duo as well. But MPJ is injury-prone, so you never know, and they are not very deep, in fact not deep at all, so that leaves other good teams with a chance.

By far? That seems like a pretty bold statement
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,668

Post#35 » by Phystic » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:50 pm

Nuggets come in as the rightful favorites. But saying nobody stands a chance is pretty ridiculous
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,938

Post#36 » by Jadoogar » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:51 pm

Someone didn't watch the playoffs.
1. the reward for having the #1 seed is have the "easiest" path to the title
2. many people picked the Suns in the second round
3. It's not the nuggets' fault the Bucks shat the bed in the first round
4. Jamal Murray was playing out of his mind, to say it was just Jokic is just objectively wrong.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,269

Post#37 » by NYPiston » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:53 pm

The Nuggets had a great run last year but this doesn't feel like a dynasty team like others of the past have felt like after their first championship. It doesn't mean they can't win it this year but I'd lump them in with about 4-5 other teams that have about an equal shot.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,900

Post#38 » by Johnny Firpo » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:54 pm

Phystic wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:They definitely have the best top 4 by far, and the best duo as well. But MPJ is injury-prone, so you never know, and they are not very deep, in fact not deep at all, so that leaves other good teams with a chance.

By far? That seems like a pretty bold statement

Fair enough, I guess. I would rephrase it a little bit: they have the best duo and especially the best two-man game in a playoff context, and they have two role players in MPJ and Gordon who perfectly complement that duo and their playing style. And therefore, that unit outplays any other four combination in a +- context/efficacy, despite not being the most talented quartet overall. How does this sound?
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,996

Post#39 » by AleksandarN » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:55 pm

magee wrote:It's styles-makes-fights in the NBA now. Meaning, it's all about match-ups and as a precursor, full health. Denver doesn't have the bench to repeat and is one injury away from not even making the playoffs, even if they have Jokic healthy.

One injury away from not making the playoffs?? Jokic took the Nuggets to 48 win season without two of their top three players and you think he won’t even make the playoffs if one player gets injured.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,996

Post#40 » by AleksandarN » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:56 pm

facothomas22 wrote:Teams like the Suns, Clippers(if healthy),Celtics, Bucks, and Heat(if they get Damian Lillard) all could beat the Nuggets in a playoff series.

When have the Clippers beat the Nuggets in the last 3 years?

Return to The General Board