Wemby DPOY

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Wemby DPOY his rookie season?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 240

VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,785

Re: Wemby DPOY 

Post#21 » by VanWest82 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:08 pm

We might be jumping the gun here, but I do think he'll win multiple DPOY before it's all said and done. Here are some obstacles he needs to overcome his rookie season:

1. Spurs aren't very good beyond Wemby. They have some nice young players (Sochan, Vassell, Johnson, Jones) that could be part of a winning team some day, but those guys need time and few would project them as future stars. Guys from bad teams don't usually win awards.

2. Jakob Poeltl was their starting C last season until the trade deadline, not some defensive bum. Wemby almost certainly projects as an upgrade, but it's not likely to be astronomical on defense. Guys from mediocre defensive teams don't usually win DPOY.

3. Further to points 1&2, Spurs might not be good. If they realize in Feb they have no shot at the play in, there's a good chance Pop shuts Wemby down. Draft position and long-term health of your franchise player are big obstacles to playing enough games.

Even still, I could see it happening. Wemby might be so dominant that voters just throw history and precendent out the window.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,054

Post#22 » by thinktank » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:20 pm

He could easily average 5 blocks and 2 steals.

That’s DPOY, easy. I don’t care what the Spurs record is.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,505

Post#23 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:05 pm

Bornstellar wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:He won't reach the 65 game minimum to be eligible, at least not this season

Who told you that? The Internet big brains that know the future?

Just educated speculation, to be fair. But I am confident I will be correct.

What gives you the impression he will play 65+ games? The Spurs pioneered load management, but now they're going to toss it aside while putting the future of the franchise at risk and push things to the limit? Extremely unlikely.

To be clear, that isn't meant to be anti-Wemby. In my opinion that is the best policy for him this year as he adjusts to a strenuous NBA schedule, as well as catching up in strength and conditioning.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,137

Post#24 » by Exp0sed » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:55 pm

Sixers in 4 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
Sixers in 4 wrote:It's all about health as Embiid and Kawhi can tell you. With that frame he needs to bulk up.

My hope is he is able to add bulk before suffering a serious injury.

there's no need for him to bulk up, def not right away and certainly not in a major way. a bit of bulk, sure but it'll happen as he acclimates himself to the NBA lifestyle, he's just 19..

Age has nothing to do with it. Chet also looked dominant and then got injured. His listed weight is basically the same despite being taller.

He will be playing against guys 30-40 pounds heavier every night with a much lower center of gravity. That is going to take its toll. Golbert is what 260 at 7-1. That should be the minimum especially if he wants to be extremely active on the defensive end fighting for rebounds and operating as a rim defender. Last I heard his reported weight was 210.

age is very relevant, why do u think college players and youth players aren't encouraged and pushed to "bulk up"?

he's been playing vs. guys 30 pounds heavier with much lower center of gravity his entire (short) career and there's no way he'd be guarding C's for now. real Centers, that is

he can rebound over folks, he doesn't need to dislodge guys from their position and even with more bulk, his insanely high center of gravity and general build would mean he still wouldn't be effective doing that, even with added weight

he's gonna do his damage differently.
even now, he seems more interested in leaking out which puts a ton of pressure on the offense. I suspect teams would just give up on alot of potential Oreb opportunities, just to keep a body in front of him

let's look at a guy like KD, who couldn't even bench press once at the combine and was scrawny af
without adding a crazy amount of weight nor being some elite defender or shotblocker, he was still pretty effective as a rebounder and rim protector in his prime

Wemby seems stronger now than KD ever was and he's obviously alot taller and longer as well

he'll be guarding 4's mostly for now anyway, so weight shouldn't be an issue

he's never been thru the rigors of an NBA season and the precedents for injuries, especially for foot injuries at his height are well known
Spurs are not gonna take even the slightest chance with him imo, they'd be be very content imo in having him get acclimated to the NBA, learning the ropes in his current weight and see how his body responds
Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,715

Post#25 » by Bornstellar » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:22 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:He won't reach the 65 game minimum to be eligible, at least not this season

Who told you that? The Internet big brains that know the future?

What gives you the impression he will play 65+ games? The Spurs pioneered load management, but now they're going to toss it aside while putting the future of the franchise at risk and push things to the limit? Extremely unlikely.

To be clear, that isn't meant to be anti-Wemby. In my opinion that is the best policy for him this year as he adjusts to a strenuous NBA schedule, as well as catching up in strength and conditioning.

Because he is a rookie, not a 10+ year vet like the guys Pop load managed late into their careers. Letting Wemby play games isn't risking anything. That's the entire point of his rookie season.

Pop and the coaching staff had said numerous times they intend to let Victor be Victor. And Victor has said he has no intention of skipping games just to skip them. You thinking they're going to treat him like a china doll is based on Pop preserving dudes in their 30s. He never load managed Tim Duncan or Tony Parker, etc when they were young players.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,633

Post#26 » by Myth » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:24 pm

Bornstellar wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:Who told you that? The Internet big brains that know the future?

Because he is a rookie, not a 10+ year vet like the guys Pop load managed late into their careers. Letting Wemby play games isn't risking anything. That's the entire point of his rookie season.

Pop and the coaching staff had said numerous times they intend to let Victor be Victor. And Victor has said he has no intention of skipping games just to skip them. You thinking they're going to treat him like a china doll is based on Pop preserving dudes in their 30s. He never load managed Tim Duncan or Tony Parker, etc when they were young players.

Made me think of this: https://youtube.com/shorts/s2av0IOdLQk?si=NLRY_2J4AD9dZ9-x
damanick10
Starter
And1: 3,221

Post#27 » by damanick10 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:38 pm

People are starting to expect too much. Spurs are building something great, and will play it smart. Wemby will be strung along very carefully, and there's a reason we have no depth. We need this year to be a building block and get another lottery pick with all the other picks coming up. It's the best play for the future. He might be an all-star due to the hype this year, but I don't expect anything otherworldy.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,591

Post#28 » by The Master » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:01 am

I don't think he'll win DPOTY: Spurs won't be good enough, he may get rested frequently and Triple J is a blocking machine on a serious team.

People also forget how difficult can be a transition from college/European to NBA basketball. Wemby is a better prospect, but rookie AD was basically a non-factor despite being 5bpg a game player in Kentucky. Not saying Wemby will be a non-factor, I'm prettty sure he'll be better than rookie Davis, but that's just an example that these guys sometimes need more time to figure it out than we assume.

Can he win blocking 'title' and make it to the All-NBA D Team? Yeah, I believe so.

That's realistic - and that would be historical itself to see a rookie being that good defensively.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#29 » by DCasey91 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:18 am

Sixers in 4 wrote:It's all about health as Embiid and Kawhi can tell you. With that frame he needs to bulk up.

My hope is he is able to add bulk before suffering a serious injury.

He doesn’t need to bulk up at all. Core >>> give him 3-4 years guys naturally mature anyway.

I love the process the people around him is doing whereby they are ultra focused on footwork, mobility and flexibility.

Kareem/Duncan should really be the poster child, he’s not a Shaq/Embiid type.

Look at Davis/Porzingis ffs both have gone about it the wrong way. Porzingis I hazard to guess isn’t much bigger than he was rookie year it’s just natural maturity vs putting on unnecessary weight.

Jokic has shed the kgs, Embiid played his best when he finally got his conditioning done but that will always be an issue coz he’s a mop head.

Banchero is currently doing the same thing. Wouldn’t be surprised if Giannis lost some weight too btw.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,200

Post#30 » by moderndarwin » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:00 am

Would be wild if it’s between him and Chet lol. But he looked like a DPOY out there tonight. They couldn’t go to his side ever and he made some incredibly clutch defensive blocks and steals. He’s on track!
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,528

Post#31 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:17 am

DPOY was always the realistic target for him.

The question is how good offensively he can become.

He seems most likely to be a DPOY version of Porzingis. It's hard to see him not being a top 5 player in the league.

Only thing that might stop him from being DPOY is that his team won't be good enough to get him the award before Cooper Flagg enters the NBA
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,592

Post#32 » by lonzo_pelota » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:48 am

2 games in and id say he's better than last years DPOY but i doubt he'll win it in his rook season probably due to voters and politics or games played.
mattyj
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#33 » by mattyj » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:57 am

He will but not this season

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using RealGM mobile app
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,272

Post#34 » by Lalouie » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:39 am

i don't think so but it will be interesting to see how he develops. he wasn't holding up against the weight of even the smaller guys
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 4,101

Post#35 » by hauntedcomputer » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:37 pm

He's not far off Kareem's playing weight and that guy did okay and was incredibly durable. Pop played him 30 minutes last night. He's going to play this year.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,200

Post#36 » by moderndarwin » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:02 am

He seems like it me so far. Every game i watch him he basically swallows up a whole side of the floor and because of his great timing and general awareness he disrupts constantly the normal set. That’s hard to do at the NBA level. Even when he’s not blocking shots he’s getting NBA players to take different shots than they’d normally get running their sets. He’s easily my early pick given the easily seen impact.
LAvision
Sixth Man
And1: 4,272

Post#37 » by LAvision » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:20 am

He should win it. He just played a team with booker and KD that were afraid to get a shot off. He’s ridiculous.
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,254

Post#38 » by Rust_Cohle » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:30 am

He should win it by a landslide, absolutely stunned
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,528

Post#39 » by zimpy27 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:37 am

LAvision wrote:He should win it. He just played a team with booker and KD that were afraid to get a shot off. He’s ridiculous.

He should be considered. The convo is interesting.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,842

Post#40 » by Homer38 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 12:46 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:Update:

Victor Wembanyama ON-COURT: 105.6 defensive rating (143 minutes)
Victor Wembanyama OFF-COURT: 132.4 defensive rating (102 minutes)

-26.8 on/off defensive rating

Those numbers equate to being the 6th-best defense when Victor's on the court and the worst (30th) in the league when he's off the court. Milwaukee is currently the worst-ranked defense in the league at 120.7 defensive rating. San Antonio was the worst defense last season (30th) at 120.0 defensive rating.

Even if you use San Antonio's 2023 defensive rating as a substitute for Wemby's off-court value, his defensive impact still comes out to a -14.4 on/off defensive rating. Crazy.

Return to The General Board