It's still early but this season really feels like a changing of the guard.. the ushering in of a new era.

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,840

Re: It's still early but this season really feels like a changing of the guard.. the ushering in of a new era. 

Post#21 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:51 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:I had to check to see if this was written this year or last. I'm not sure what's really changed from last year beyond Gobert and the wolves are clicking and Murray being out has slowed down the nuggets who when healthy look unbeatable. But their depth is a real concern.

It's definitely been going on for a while as all shifts do, I just feel like this season it's been very noticeable feeling. I think its also interesting because its not like it's a totally different era yet, the old era is still here in force it's just, we are seeing some major transitions taking place right before our eyes. We are in the eye of the storm seeing history happen which is always the case but I think the level of the change across the board is significant for this period of time. It usually seems more gradual and piecemeal, or at least my recollection of it does.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Re: It's still early but this season really feels like a changing of the guard.. the ushering in of a new era. 

Post#22 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:52 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Early season is for the youngins to come in all fired up.

Vet teams usually start to hit stride closer to playoffs

I could see that. Early in the season a lot of bad teams don't know that they are bad yet lol.

Things could look a lot different in a couple of months for sure.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,961

Post#23 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:09 pm

Calinks wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I had to check to see if this was written this year or last. I'm not sure what's really changed from last year beyond Gobert and the wolves are clicking and Murray being out has slowed down the nuggets who when healthy look unbeatable. But their depth is a real concern.

It's definitely been going on for a while as all shifts do, I just feel like this season it's been very noticeable feeling. I think its also interesting because its not like it's a totally different era yet, the old era is still here in force it's just, we are seeing some major transitions taking place right before our eyes. We are in the eye of the storm seeing history happen which is always the case but I think the level of the change across the board is significant for this period of time. It usually seems more gradual and piecemeal, or at least my recollection of it does.

Reminds me a good bit of those late 80's early 90's as bird and magic faded or the late 90s into early 00's as Duncan and Shaq took the league from the Malones, MJ's, hakeem, chucks. Shaq had been in the league since like 92 while Duncan came in 98. Similar a Giannis to Luka thing.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,515

Post#24 » by og15 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:26 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Bucks, Celtics, Philly, Lakers, Nuggets, Suns

One of those teams yeah

Lakers have about 0% chance to win it all
LBJ can't keep this up for a whole season + postseason, he'll be (again) banged up by March and not enough rest in a long playoff run for him. AD is AD, they're a good team but the West is just nuts

these Lakers are essentialy the same team that overachieved getting to the WCF and still was swept by the Nuggets. I doubt a rematch would end differently thi season and tbh I'd be surprised if they even make the WCF again, let alone win a chip

it'll be one of the teams you listed sans the Lakers

maybe i'm overeacting to their hot start but I think Minnesota can go all the way. they are still getting slept on because of prejeduice and well...it's the Wolves but if KAT can keep playing like this (Edwards playing like he has been is more of a given imo) - they can beat anyone in a 7 game series, their starting 5 with Conley, MCdaniels and Gobert is the best starting 5 in the league imo.

KAT and ANT firing on all cylinders gonna be a problem in the playoffs for anyone, especially with HCA.

Lakers hung the best with the Nuggets and they won the championship.

Lakers are better this season.

I don't think an inexperienced team is worth a fight even at full health. Maybe next season

I don't really consider the Wolves inexperienced. Every first time conference finals or finals team is usually inexperienced in some way anyways. They are more experienced than the Suns who went to the finals, and Conley can play the veteran PG role CP did. Conley has done his playoff thing. Gobert has played 54 playoff games, KAT has been in the playoffs three times now, Edwards has two playoffs and he was the leading scorer for team USA.

They are actually quite primed to make a run if they keep this up and the matchups work for them. Winning it all is always tough regardless, but they could compete for a WCF, and even finals if their progression continues.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,084

Post#25 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:42 pm

It can be hard to predict when an older team falls off, but I came into this season projecting both LA teams and the Clippers to miss the playoffs. I also felt very high on OKC, Houston, New Orleans, Cleveland (so kind mix of hits and misses), I didn't project Orlando looking this good.

Straight up you can't have real championship hopes when your best guys are over 35, and you haven't built out a perfect (+ younger) core around them. The Spurs did it because Kawhi was 22 and Parker was 31, so Duncan/Ginobili just had to be a part of that quartet, rather than the central engine to what makes things work. Curry and Lebron might look amazing right now, but what are the chances they play in more than 60 games this year? At some point they'll need to injury time and their teams will go from hovering around .500 to losing a big chunk of games and falling behind. It's possible they have a really healthy season, but it would be foolish to bet on it.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,846

Post#26 » by jkvonny » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:16 pm

Michael Jordan wrote:I feel like this is a shift for the worse, though parity is at its best point in a long time, I've become less interested in the NBA for several reasons.

After the pandemic it just hasn't been the same for me.

Well, for you, thats just too bad...

I disagree
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,714

Post#27 » by Warriorfan » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:49 pm

Lots of parity 1 injury or trade changes a teams fortunes.
Personally prefer to see all time great teams.

Maybe Thunder or Spurs become that team.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,446

Post#28 » by zimpy27 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:52 pm

og15 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
Lakers have about 0% chance to win it all
LBJ can't keep this up for a whole season + postseason, he'll be (again) banged up by March and not enough rest in a long playoff run for him. AD is AD, they're a good team but the West is just nuts

these Lakers are essentialy the same team that overachieved getting to the WCF and still was swept by the Nuggets. I doubt a rematch would end differently thi season and tbh I'd be surprised if they even make the WCF again, let alone win a chip

it'll be one of the teams you listed sans the Lakers

maybe i'm overeacting to their hot start but I think Minnesota can go all the way. they are still getting slept on because of prejeduice and well...it's the Wolves but if KAT can keep playing like this (Edwards playing like he has been is more of a given imo) - they can beat anyone in a 7 game series, their starting 5 with Conley, MCdaniels and Gobert is the best starting 5 in the league imo.

KAT and ANT firing on all cylinders gonna be a problem in the playoffs for anyone, especially with HCA.

Lakers hung the best with the Nuggets and they won the championship.

Lakers are better this season.

I don't think an inexperienced team is worth a fight even at full health. Maybe next season

I don't really consider the Wolves inexperienced. Every first time conference finals or finals team is usually inexperienced in some way anyways. They are more experienced than the Suns who went to the finals, and Conley can play the veteran PG role CP did. Conley has done his playoff thing. Gobert has played 54 playoff games, KAT has been in the playoffs three times now, Edwards has two playoffs and he was the leading scorer for team USA.

They are actually quite primed to make a run if they keep this up and the matchups work for them. Winning it all is always tough regardless, but they could compete for a WCF, and even finals if their progression continues.

Gobert is often a liability in the playoffs
Conley is the experienced one I agree. It rides on his leadership.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,957

Post#29 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:58 pm

Agreed. You raised a point about going small to now going big. The last decade was really about playing bigs off of the floor. The new era of bigs have evolved as a result and are not easily played off the court anymore, making size down low an advantage again.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,118

Post#30 » by Exp0sed » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:18 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
og15 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Gobert is often a liability in the playoffs
Conley is the experienced one I agree. It rides on his leadership.

Gobert's experience mostly lies with the Snyder Utah teams and as stated many times, those teams had no1 who can keep anyone in front of them, they expected Gobert to do all the work. that's not the case in Minny.

Flinch schemes suit him much better, he wasn't a liability last playoffs and Jokic is probably one of the toughest matchups for him (or anyone) inside and I doubt he'll be a liability this year

he's just very awkward moving so when u see guards cooking him on the perimeter, everyone remembers it. but all bigs get cooked in space, Gobert is actually pretty good at it (relatively speaking)

on offense, obviously that's a different issue. as it's hard to play 4 on 5 on offense. I think he's been doing a good job this season, doing enough on that end, which mostly means offensive rebounding and putbacks, setting some really mean screens and obviously moving well without the ball, being a vertical threat etc. he's obviously not very good but he's been doing just enough for it not be an issue in the playoffs, as long as his D will stay DPOY level as it has been and as we know - that's a very likely possibility

we'll find out when the playoffs come around :)
nazario
Freshman
And1: 69

Post#31 » by nazario » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:40 pm

Warriorfan wrote:Lots of parity 1 injury or trade changes a teams fortunes.

Echoing this sentiment somewhat.
Its nice to have so many good teams, parity is there. But there really aren't any standouts.

I dont see any of them as great, yet.
From 2016 alone i would have the top 3-4 teams as clearly better than any of the teams in the league right now. They were legitimately great teams.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,714

Post#32 » by Warriorfan » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:02 am

nazario wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Lots of parity 1 injury or trade changes a teams fortunes.

Echoing this sentiment somewhat.
Its nice to have so many good teams, parity is there. But there really aren't any standouts.

I dont see any of them as great, yet.
From 2016 alone i would have the top 3-4 teams as clearly better than any of the teams in the league right now. They were legitimately great teams.

Take the Timberwolves. Ant, Town and Gobert might be able to put HOF careers. They need support pieces.
AIfan3
Head Coach
And1: 3,700

Post#33 » by AIfan3 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:47 am

Yeah, there's a new slate of superstars on the horizon.

Wemby, SGA, Chet, Haliburton, Edwards already joining established young stars like Luka, Deaaron, Tatum, Trae.

Also not forgetting all-star guys like Maxey and Ball. Definitely a new generation coming in..
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,846

Post#34 » by jkvonny » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:12 am

Don't forget the Sacramanto Kings. They have been on the rise since last season.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#35 » by spanishninja » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:17 am

AIfan3 wrote:Yeah, there's a new slate of superstars on the horizon.

Wemby, SGA, Chet, Haliburton, Edwards already joining established young stars like Luka, Deaaron, Tatum, Trae.

Also not forgetting all-star guys like Maxey and Ball. Definitely a new generation coming in..
wow nobody has mentioned Booker yet in all this superstar talk, even after mention Trae. braindead much?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 911

Post#36 » by Roy T » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:05 am

spanishninja wrote:

wow nobody has mentioned Booker yet in all this superstar talk, even after mention Trae. braindead much?

Booker is too old to be called a young player.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,953

Post#37 » by basketballRob » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:33 am

Franz and Paolo are the new younger Tatum and Brown.

Ruma85
Starter
And1: 935

Post#38 » by Ruma85 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:37 am

basketballRob wrote:Franz and Paolo are the new younger Tatum and Brown.

They could be even better than them.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#39 » by spanishninja » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:47 pm

Roy T wrote:
spanishninja wrote:

Booker is too old to be called a young player.

still far under 30 and maybe 1 year older than Fox and Tatum? we're not talking about Dame or KD age here. somebody else mentioned the current guard of Jokic/Giannis/Embiid/Tatum/Doncic group, and Booker is in that group as well.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#40 » by Calinks » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:47 am

I still feel this way and we are seeing a ton of the older players and teams fall off big this season. The new wave is here.

Return to The General Board