CMV: "Playoff Murray" isn't sustainable and it hinders the Nuggets potential

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,490

Re: CMV: "Playoff Murray" isn't sustainable and it hinders the Nuggets potential 

Post#21 » by Woodsanity » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:48 am

He is a fringe all star in regular season and a solid all star level guy in the playoffs. Always has been my view. That being said he can be a very frustrating player at times but he can turn into a microwave even after going like 4-16 like today's game.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 2,140

Re: CMV: "Playoff Murray" isn't sustainable and it hinders the Nuggets potential 

Post#22 » by Blazing_royale » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:49 am

It is sustainable
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,598

Post#23 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:54 am

Guy's game just isn't built around cheap fouls but buckets, so it holds up in the playoffs.
He's like the anti-Harden, and I love it.
I think it's sustainable, so long as he stays healthy.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Post#24 » by Peregrine01 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:55 am

Woodsanity wrote:He is a fringe all star in regular season and a solid all star level guy in the playoffs. Always has been my view. That being said he can be a very frustrating player at times but he can turn into a microwave even after going like 4-16 like today's game.

He’s got Kobe’s mentality, for good or bad.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,599

Post#25 » by durden_tyler » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:58 am

Unsustainable yeah. :LOL
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Primedeion
Junior
And1: 828

Post#26 » by Primedeion » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:00 am

Woodsanity wrote:He is a fringe all star in regular season and a solid all star level guy in the playoffs. Always has been my view. That being said he can be a very frustrating player at times but he can turn into a microwave even after going like 4-16 like today's game.

Lol. He's been way better than just all-star level over his postseason career.
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,950

Post#27 » by EH15 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 am

This thread going straight into RealGM HoF
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,911

Post#28 » by jkvonny » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:07 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:I always thought it was a stretch to call the Nuggets favorites to win this year. Jokoc is absolutely incredibly and easily the best player in the league. The guy has GOAT potential. But he doesn't have quite enough help around him to be THE title favorites. The team fits around him perfectly, but this is a star driven league. Having a 2nd star is huge. Turning it up like Murray did last year just isn't sustainable. You can't expect a guy to play that much better in the playoffs.

Until they get a 2nd star, I don't think Jokic wins more than 1 more chip, if that.

C'mon, dude.

Way too early to make threads like this.
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 948

Post#29 » by JimmyFromNz » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:08 am

Besides the obvious elephant in the room from today - what has been hindered?

Them winning the championship last year whilst being the favourite to win the west in 2024?

Seems pretty inane sorry.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,440

Post#30 » by Marvin Martian » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:10 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:Guy's game just isn't built around cheap fouls but buckets, so it holds up in the playoffs.

Jimmy Butler is arguably a worse foul baiter than Harden and he led the Heat to 2 finals
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,463

Post#31 » by lessthanjake » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:26 am

Not sure today is the day for people to be taking a victory lap on this. Murray was genuinely bad today. Hit a great game winner, but he was bad and if he’d been even okay then there’d have been no need for a game winner.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
turnaroundJ
Sixth Man
And1: 1,400

Post#32 » by turnaroundJ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:Guy's game just isn't built around cheap fouls but buckets, so it holds up in the playoffs.

Jimmy Butler is arguably a worse foul baiter than Harden and he led the Heat to 2 finals

jimmy has elite mid range, off-ball, and post game skills. hustle and defense too
Goose egg
Junior
And1: 752

Post#33 » by Goose egg » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:40 am

Murray is a leader. Having him allows Jokic to not have to deal with the pressure of leadership/enforcer. It is the exact same dynamic as Steph + Draymond (except positionally reversed) and is why both teams have insane success

People will just not get this but having a guy like Murray out there makes the rest of your team better in a way even Jokic does not. It’s called inspiration
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,306

Post#34 » by Lalouie » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:02 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:I always thought it was a stretch to call the Nuggets favorites to win this year. Jokoc is absolutely incredibly and easily the best player in the league. The guy has GOAT potential. But he doesn't have quite enough help around him to be THE title favorites. The team fits around him perfectly, but this is a star driven league. Having a 2nd star is huge. Turning it up like Murray did last year just isn't sustainable. You can't expect a guy to play that much better in the playoffs.

Until they get a 2nd star, I don't think Jokic wins more than 1 more chip, if that.

he doesn't need one...it's a parity year.

in case you haven't noticed, the well worn saying that "you need three stars" has long passed. it's down to two,,,,MAYBE. there are only a few teams with two stars. if this was at the beginning of the millenium, jokic would need a better second mate

now there's lebron/ad,,,giannis/lillard,,,tatum/brown???,,,embiid/maxey???
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#35 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 am

Narrative: Joker has no help
-Murray sucked
-Porter took Murray's place all game as the 2nd guy
-Murray hits game winner
-Joker has no help
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,024

Post#36 » by zeebneeb » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:19 am

I've been coming to this site for over 20 years now, and in all that time, the same damn mistakes keep getting repeated by posters on the general board;

Poorly timed hot-take threads, with definitive statements.

Threads like these, are a surefire way to look like the rear-end of a hooved animal, but if it hasn't stopped in 20+ years, it will never stop.

Enjoy the mocking and shame. There will be more.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,575

Post#37 » by Pelly24 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:32 am

Jamal stepped up big time. But most other teams couldn't have beaten the lakers tonight with him playing so poorly for most of the game. Jokic is just incredibly, incredibly good and the pieces are perfect for this team to succeed with him. But I look at Jamal as a legit all-star when you factor in the playoffs.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,636

Post#38 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:33 am

Posts like this are reason to abandon your current username and start all over on RealGM lol.
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,739

Post#39 » by ChuckChilly » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:Jamal Murray is a glorified Jamal Crawford who has a low BBIQ and chooses to engage in personal battles to the detriment of his team. Thankfully, he has Jokic available as an almost father-like figure that can reign in his bad behavior and show him the way. Like he does with the rest of the teammates, Jokic (The System) elevates Murray to new levels when Murray is zoned in and restrained.
Perfectly stated
Gatorade Sax
Senior
And1: 846

Post#40 » by Gatorade Sax » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:43 am

This aged about as well as a bowl of fruit in summer.

Return to The General Board