Byron Scott: Lebron should be player/coach for the Lakers

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,791

Re: Byron Scott: Lebron should be player/coach for the Lakers 

Post#21 » by EmpireFalls » Thu May 9, 2024 3:07 pm

I’m now picturing the mental image of Coach Bron yelling at Player Bron who yells back at Coach Bron and then looks up at GM Bron like “he has to go” and dying laughing.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,548

Post#22 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu May 9, 2024 3:15 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Maybe he’d finally hold himself accountable for standing around on defense

Great analysis chief.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,329

Post#23 » by KembaWalker » Thu May 9, 2024 3:17 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Maybe he’d finally hold himself accountable for standing around on defense

Great analysis chief.

Would be tough for you guys to figure out who to throw under the bus though
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,189

Post#24 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 9, 2024 3:32 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:I’m now picturing the mental image of Coach Bron yelling at Player Bron who yells back at Coach Bron and then looks up at GM Bron like “he has to go” and dying laughing.

Does player Lebron "bumps" coach Lebron, and then walks away?
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,495

Post#25 » by Mirotic12 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:24 pm

Just ask Arvydas Macijauskas what he thinks about Scott's basketball views.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 3,008

Post#26 » by mastermixer » Fri May 10, 2024 6:28 pm

I dislike LeBron as much as the next guy. I know LeBron has a reputation as a coach killer and deservedly so. But I don’t understand how in this instance Ham getting fired is his fault.

Can anyone lay it out for me? I just don’t see it.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,635

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:30 pm

Yes, just for the lulz.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 956

Post#28 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:35 pm

mastermixer wrote:I dislike LeBron as much as the next guy. I know LeBron has a reputation as a coach killer and deservedly so. But I don’t understand how in this instance Ham getting fired is his fault.

Well you see.... When you hate someone with a passion
Everything becomes his fault and any achievements get down played pretty much

It's been like this since 2008 with LeBron
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,911

Post#29 » by The Explorer » Fri May 10, 2024 6:44 pm

mastermixer wrote:I dislike LeBron as much as the next guy. I know LeBron has a reputation as a coach killer and deservedly so. But I don’t understand how in this instance Ham getting fired is his fault.

He certainly didn't help's Ham employment. Michael Jordan pined for Phil Jackson. Wade advocated for Spoelstra. You never heard James advocate for his coach, ever. Add the whining at his coaching staff in the middle of key playoff games was like a child having a tantrum. When Davis said the team didn't know what they were doing on the court, James, as the leader of the team and face of the franchise, could have nipped that talk in the bud, privately and/or publicly. But he did no such thing. So yes, he deserves a share of blame as well.
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 496

Post#30 » by Bloodbather » Fri May 10, 2024 6:49 pm

The rules not allowing it aside, if LeBron were to be player/coach, he'd have to delegate almost all head coaching duties to the assistant coach, which would make the assistant coach very important, which would make hiring the assistant coach basically the same thing as hiring the head coach.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 3,008

Post#31 » by mastermixer » Fri May 10, 2024 7:30 pm

The Explorer wrote:

He certainly didn't help's Ham employment. Michael Jordan pined for Phil Jackson. Wade advocated for Spoelstra. You never heard James advocate for his coach, ever. Add the whining at his coaching staff in the middle of key playoff games was like a child having a tantrum. When Davis said the team didn't know what they were doing on the court, James, as the leader of the team and face of the franchise, could have nipped that talk in the bud, privately and/or publicly. But he did no such thing. So yes, he deserves a share of blame as well.

Some fair points there. Idk if I personally would say “well he didn’t advocate for him to stay, therefore it’s his fault Ham is gone.” But I can see how that point could be made.

I’m a Laker fan. I didn’t watch a ton of regular season games, but I liked what I saw in the playoffs. I thought we played about as well as we could and nuggets were simply a better team, and just a bad match up for us.

I thought our defensive schemes against Jokic were good, we just eventually got outplayed in the 2nd half.

I’m not sure there was anything another coach could have gotten out of our team that series.

I’m just not sure what catch out there were going to get that’s going to be a game changer for us.

But on the flip side, as a fan, I don’t think a coaching change hurts us either. So it’s not that big of a deal either way
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,655

Post#32 » by dc » Fri May 10, 2024 8:22 pm

Why stop there? He should be a player-ref. He can call his own fouls and even T himself up.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
bluemj32
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,064

Post#33 » by bluemj32 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:11 am

Movics wrote:Love it when talking heads don’t know the rules of the league they cover
Byron knows, it was sarcasm

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
OhMyGodBecky
Sophomore
And1: 405

Post#34 » by OhMyGodBecky » Sat May 11, 2024 1:42 am

It's not allowed under the CBA cap rules. Last player-coach was Dave Cowens decades ago.
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,394

Post#35 » by CS707 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:45 am

PRESTIGE wrote:How can you have a coach who is also your teammate? If you argue with him, is he going to DNP you? If you don’t pass to him, is he going to bench you? Where do you draw the line? Also, if the coach plays poorly, nobody will listen to him as he wouldn’t have any respect.

It would just be cutting out the middle man.
playoffs
Sixth Man
And1: 2,968

Post#36 » by playoffs » Sat May 11, 2024 2:21 am

UcanUwill wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Player coaches haven't been allowed in the NBA for a long time.

After the salary cap was instituted in 1984–85 season, the NBA has prohibited teams from employing a player-coach.

I agree Yugoslavia is pretty good, but I would put my money on Prussia or the Austro-Hungarian empire to win it all.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 1,035

Post#37 » by ScrantonBulls » Sat May 11, 2024 2:59 am

Nobody can lay it out for you. Mentally ill people drum up these imaginary scenarios where LeBron is legitimately the GM of the team, and therefore makes all personnel decisions. They keep repeating it to themselves and start believing it. No proof needed!
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#38 » by Ugly Duckling » Sat May 11, 2024 3:21 am

I have 2 words for you. Rajon. Rondo.
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#39 » by WentzerWuver » Sat May 11, 2024 3:34 am

ChipotleWest wrote:Thoughts? He is the closest player to being a coach already. Many times he overrides the coach.
Didn't Byron suggest Magic to try the same thing?

https://youtu.be/0pCm7n4nU0U?si=t4zrNQY27gmh_gcl
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,189

Post#40 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 11, 2024 4:07 am

playoffs wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Player coaches haven't been allowed in the NBA for a long time.

I agree Yugoslavia is pretty good, but I would put my money on Prussia or the Austro-Hungarian empire to win it all.

Neanderthals usually have strength advantage, too bad they didn't qualify this year.

Return to The General Board