Paul Pierce says SGA would've won MVP if they had more nationally televised games

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,817

Re: Paul Pierce says SGA would've won MVP if they had more nationally televised games 

Post#21 » by jkvonny » Sun May 12, 2024 6:35 am

WestbrookGOATed wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Wouldn’t exactly call Denver a big market, KD & Westbrook both won an MVP in the last decade in OKC too
That's fair. I definitely don't think Jokic was undeserving.

True.

Many players from mid/small markets have won the MVP award over the years

Jokic (Denver)
Giannis (Milwaukee)
Westbrook (OKC)
Durant (OKC)
LeBron (Miami....yall can debate about Miami if yall want to...)
LeBron (Cleveland)
Nash (Phoenix....... yall can debate about Phoenix if yall want to....)
Garnett (Minnesota)
Duncan (San Antonio)
Malone (Utah)
Walton (Portland)
Etc
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 794

Re: Paul Pierce says SGA would've won MVP if they had more nationally televised games 

Post#22 » by madskillz8 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:39 am

NZB2323 wrote:There’s a lot of ex-players from the 2000s who don’t want a white guy to win MVP. Kendrick Perkins, Shaq, Gilbert Arenas, and Paul Pierce.

As an outsider, I observe that American media is pushing American players very hard, as they would be more profitable for them. First Ja, when he is not even a top-5 player, and now Ant, SGA, and even Holmgren while Jokic & Doncic would very likely be the best players the next 5 seasons or so. And it is totally reasonable from their perspective.

Players, on the other hand, especially some of them, has racial motives IMHO but who cares? As an outsider, I also observe that racism is perfectly tolerated in American sports media as long as it is towards non-black athletes. Imagine the reaction towards a commentator who claims Embiid is selected MVP because he is black. The last time I check K. Perkins was still talking in prime time even though he's very replaceable.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,393

Post#23 » by hardenASG13 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:47 am

NZB2323 wrote:There’s a lot of ex-players from the 2000s who don’t want a white guy to win MVP. Kendrick Perkins, Shaq, Gilbert Arenas, and Paul Pierce.

This is a bad take. They are saying it because in their era, if a team unexpectedly overachieved(like the thunder, this year) and had a superstar level player who led them to the 1 seed after missing the playoffs each year before that, the guy won MVP. Like Derrick Rose winning over Lebron for example, when Lebron was clearly the best player in the league. Or guys winning it over MJ. It has nothing to do with race.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 587

Post#24 » by Ssj16 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:38 am

madskillz8 wrote:

As an outsider, I observe that American media is pushing American players very hard, as they would be more profitable for them. First Ja, when he is not even a top-5 player, and now Ant, SGA, and even Holmgren while Jokic & Doncic would very likely be the best players the next 5 seasons or so. And it is totally reasonable from their perspective.

Players, on the other hand, especially some of them, has racial motives IMHO but who cares? As an outsider, I also observe that racism is perfectly tolerated in American sports media as long as it is towards non-black athletes. Imagine the reaction towards a commentator who claims Embiid is selected MVP because he is black. The last time I check K. Perkins were still talking in prime time even though he's very replaceable.

SGA is Canadian btw
dans1230
Rookie
And1: 1,176

Post#25 » by dans1230 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:25 pm

SportsGuru08 wrote:Somehow playing in a small market didn't stop Karl Malone from winning a MVP award he probably didn't deserve.

He was talking about nationally televised games, not the market.
Prince187
Sixth Man
And1: 1,840

Post#26 » by Prince187 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:43 pm

And they never get called out for their racism

“No it’s not racism these guys are just hardcore America First patriots, they just don’t like seeing foreign players succeed”

Yet they don’t seem to have an issue with Giannis, Embid, Wemby, or even SGA(Canadian)
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,226

Post#27 » by Calvin Klein » Sun May 12, 2024 1:21 pm

Some people just can't handle the "unathletic serbian" dominating everyone.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,589

Post#28 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:30 pm

Prince187 wrote:

“No it’s not racism these guys are just hardcore America First patriots, they just don’t like seeing foreign players succeed”

Yet they don’t seem to have an issue with Giannis, Embid, Wemby, or even SGA(Canadian)

You seem at least a little confused, America First types would never support Black Americans over Europeans. And Black NBA players are definitely not “America First”
BmanInBigD
Sixth Man
And1: 622

Post#29 » by BmanInBigD » Sun May 12, 2024 1:32 pm

I think when more and more people see him play, they'll realize he pushes off with his elbow every time he gets the ball. IDK if he'll ever get penalized for that but I think folks will notice it more and more if/when they get on national tv more. He's slippery and quick enough to not have to do this, but he does anyway.
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,742

Post#30 » by srhcan » Sun May 12, 2024 1:33 pm

Thou shalt not judge; your point of view is just pure garbage
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,044

Post#31 » by Johnny Fontane » Sun May 12, 2024 1:35 pm

Luka and SGA are too reliant on getting whistles. The least foul baiting of the three won the MVP everyone should be rejoicing
Chokic
Senior
And1: 656

Post#32 » by Chokic » Sun May 12, 2024 2:19 pm

JRoy wrote:Disagree.

He was never the best player in the league.

Mvp was never about tbe best player in the league otherwise mj kobe embiid lebron and shaq would have more mvps.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,226

Post#33 » by Calvin Klein » Sun May 12, 2024 2:34 pm

Chokic wrote:
JRoy wrote:Disagree.

He was never the best player in the league.

Mvp was never about tbe best player in the league otherwise mj kobe embiid lebron and shaq would have more mvps.

SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,266

Post#34 » by SA37 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:40 pm

It's pretty incredible that some people keep looking to find ways to not give the MVP to a guy who has basically averaged a triple-double over the past 2 season on a team that had the best record in the West last year and the 2nd best in the West this year.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#35 » by WentzerWuver » Sun May 12, 2024 2:46 pm

WestbrookGOATed wrote:https://www.basketballnetwork.net/latest-news/paul-pierce-on-shai-gilgeous-alexander-not-winning-the-mvp-award

Agree or disagree?

Obviously I agree. Everyone thought the Thunder were the worst #1 seed in years because they hadn't watched them all season
Joel and da Joker are the only two MVP this season for me cause of how consistent they are, followed by Labron. SGA and Hali are tried for 4th place cause they don't lead as much as they show offs.

These young jedi like Anakin need to act like leaders, real MVP!!!

All 3 of my top picks would slam jam both SGA and Hali one on one when they have no one to pass it to.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,476

Post#36 » by durden_tyler » Sun May 12, 2024 2:50 pm

Why are you people still listening to Paul Pierce? Steven A Smith, Kendrick Perkins, Gilbert Arenas level and type of commentators and best if just ignored. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Fantastik_Goat
Senior
And1: 578

Post#37 » by Fantastik_Goat » Sun May 12, 2024 2:54 pm

Prince187 wrote:

I know it’s like something happened in America that made black people feel like they’re being shortchanged out of the fruits of their labor and are being treated unfairly. Why are Americans so much more sensitive about anti black racism. Let me know if you think of anything.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,083

Post#38 » by NZB2323 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:54 pm

srhcan wrote:

Thou shalt not judge; your point of view is just pure garbage

https://www.outkick.com/sports/gilbert-arenas-seems-to-have-a-real-problem-with-white-players

Gilbert Arenas: Jokic is the worst MVP statistically in the last 40 years.

Arenas on Green slapping Nurkic: Taking out Europeans one at a time…keep on doing your thing!

Arenas: I know what they can do to fix the NBA. Get rid of the Europeans.

Arenas: Luka is not the best player on the Mavs.

Pierce: I can’t believe this little white girl(Caitlin Clark) outplayed real black women.

Pierce: No one considers Europeans tough, especially from France

Perkins: Jokic stat-pads

Perkins: 80% of MVP voters are white

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/espn-issues-public-apology-kendrick-perkins-claimed-nba-mvp-voters-predominantly-white.amp

Arenas is clearly the worst out of them, and then Perkins and Pierce, and Shaq is probably the most harmless. But he’s more upset that he lost an MVP to a white guy.
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,368

Post#39 » by BodieB » Sun May 12, 2024 5:58 pm

The TV gas bags/ex-players really dislike Jokic, its ridiculous.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,400

Post#40 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:58 pm

People in the media have a hard time differentiating between a guy deserving to be in the convo for mvp and actually being the guy deserving to win it. They are too used to deciding who wins based on narrative or favoritism/bias.

Return to The General Board