Rate Draymond Greens work as a studio show member

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Vote

5 out of 5
9%
4 out of 5
9%
3 out of 5
8%
2 out of 5
15%
1 out of 5
59%

Total votes: 199

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,172

Re: Rate Draymond Greens work as a studio show member 

Post#21 » by Duke4life831 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:46 pm

I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty much over any former athlete talking about their sport.

I just feel like none of them treat it as an actual job. I just feel like they have the opinion of, “I played, so therefore I’m an expert on the topic and that’s all that is needed.”

They seem to all treat these shows as basically an extension of their podcasts. Very little professionalism, seems like very little to zero practice or work done behind the camera to get better.

I pretty much think they’re all bad.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,808

Post#22 » by Upperclass » Wed May 15, 2024 1:48 pm

A clown on and off the floor.
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,988

Post#23 » by Dubious Handles » Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty much over any former athlete talking about their sport.

I just feel like none of them treat it as an actual job. I just feel like they have the opinion of, “I played, so therefore I’m an expert on the topic and that’s all that is needed.”

They seem to all treat these shows as basically an extension of their podcasts. Very little professionalism, seems like very little to zero practice or work done behind the camera to get better.

So true man.. it's as they say, never meet your heros.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,602

Post#24 » by vulture » Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

He makes good points but the gobert hate was a little much. He’s a better analyst than all the other guys but just not as entertaining.
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 640

Post#25 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Wed May 15, 2024 2:00 pm

Something to think about, you might think Draymond is not that bad but once he's in the show as a full time gig he could be pretty horrendous. I thought the same about Shaq, he was okay after retirement and he ended up being horrendous during his initial years of the TNT show...only thing that makes it tolerable is his chemistry with Barkley, they have funny moments but anything on either of these two on their own will be bad.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#26 » by Calvin Klein » Wed May 15, 2024 2:02 pm

It would be great if he weren't such a clown because he obviously is a great basketball mind. But his pettiness takes over.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#27 » by zero rings » Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

He came across as a total psycho last night with his Gobert hate. He completely ruined the broadcast.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#28 » by Jimmy Recard » Wed May 15, 2024 2:14 pm

Somehow even worse than Shaq which is saying something. At least Shaq plays off Chuck well. This fool adds nothing even his attempts at humour fell flat.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#29 » by zero rings » Wed May 15, 2024 2:17 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty much over any former athlete talking about their sport.

Reggie Miller and Jamal Crawford babbling over the brilliance of Kevin Harlan should be considered a crime against humanity.
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,742

Post#30 » by ChuckChilly » Wed May 15, 2024 2:17 pm

I like him because he actually speaks his mind. Doesn't have canned safe takes like Vince Carter or Grant Hill.
Burt Gummer
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Burt Gummer » Wed May 15, 2024 2:20 pm

Howard Cosell called it the "Jockocracy". I'm also over most athletes talking their sport. I can't watch pre-game, halftime, or post-game shows unless it's Inside the NBA and College Gameday. And College Gameday is starting to become unwatchable with Pat McAfee on there.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,616

Post#32 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed May 15, 2024 2:23 pm

The pettiness was a bit much for my liking...
For what it's worth, D. Green played vs. Jokic in the playoffs (but not against Murray, Porter and KCP.

JOKIC vs. GREEN:

31 ppg
13 reb
6 ast
58% fg
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,211

Post#33 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:26 pm

walk with me wrote:Curious what people think.

I think he’s absolute trash and will be disappointed if he’s viewed as the next Barkley or Shaq.

So you think he's better than Shaq...who is an insult to trash?

But for real, Dray's pretty good. He'll be a lot better once he's no longer competing against players and coming in with player bias. He reads the game well. He's really good at explaining what's happening. That said I think he'd be better live in game vs the studio.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,087

Post#34 » by HotelVitale » Wed May 15, 2024 2:30 pm

A lot of them are really entertaining or funny though, and others provide good stories and perspective etc. TNT in particular is just meant to be a few minutes of barbershop chatter and Chuck and Kenny are both usually good for something amusing for 3-4 minutes, they don't treat themselves like amazing analysts but just guys who watch games and like basketball and can find something to say. Having stories and a life in the game means former players can definitely be better at that than random people, even if what they're saying isn't as deep (or even very relevant a lot of time) as they think. (I do hate it when Kenny does his 'analysis' or breakdown segments, almost always greatly oversimplified if not flat wrong).

Shaq is worse but I think he's finding his groove a little more, figuring out that he's there to be a personaity among other personalities and not deliver tough-talk sermons or careful breakdowns of the game. A guy like Chris Webber wasn't as good at that stuff despite being smarter and more articulate than the other guys because he wasn't really comfortable with the assignment and kept thinking they should be doing more or less at any moment.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#35 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:33 pm

KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:Something to think about, you might think Draymond is not that bad but once he's in the show as a full time gig he could be pretty horrendous. I thought the same about Shaq, he was okay after retirement and he ended up being horrendous during his initial years of the TNT show...only thing that makes it tolerable is his chemistry with Barkley, they have funny moments but anything on either of these two on their own will be bad.

Dray knows basketball. Shaq legit doesn't even know the game despite playing his whole life.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#36 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:35 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:Somehow even worse than Shaq which is saying something. At least Shaq plays off Chuck well. This fool adds nothing even his attempts at humour fell flat.

How would he play off Chris Webber? Webber is kinda like milk...it's ok i guess. But...there's not much their.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,585

Post#37 » by Hornet Mania » Wed May 15, 2024 2:37 pm

It was bad enough to kind of make me kind of glad Inside will likely be gone before he takes the reins.
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,211

Post#38 » by strokerace » Wed May 15, 2024 2:39 pm

To be honest, I find myself fast fowarding through all of it this season anyway. The sight of Green just makes me hit the button harder. Barkley is the only one that has somewhat good stuff to say. The running to the board stuff is so old at this point and seems to be a lot of the half time show.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,722

Post#39 » by Statlanta » Wed May 15, 2024 2:46 pm

He's better than Shaq but worse than Kenny and Charles. He's too close to today's players to give good NBA analysis but doesn't go far off topic.

He's not good enough to make it 5 studio members and probably not good enough to replace anybody without quality drop.
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 12,065

Post#40 » by Nate505 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:29 pm

If there was a negative number on the poll I would pick it.

He would actually be decent if he weren't such an insufferable prick. The problem is, he's a massive insufferable prick.

Return to The General Board