What are the Pelicans doing?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,362

Re: What are the Pelicans doing? 

Post#21 » by ThunderBolt » Tue May 21, 2024 6:27 pm

Th flaws of their best players making building a reliable contender extremely difficult.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,442

Post#22 » by pipfan » Tue May 21, 2024 6:28 pm

Trae and Lavine to NO
CJ and #21 to Chi
BI and Daniels, plus the Laker 1st (assuming it moves to the '25 pick, since NO has the option)

NO goes with
Young/Alvarado
Lavine/Hawkins
Trey/Jones
Zion/Jones
MLE/Nance Jr

Plus all their own future picks and the Milw '27 1st (plus a swap).

Bulls go with
Ayo/CJ/Carter
White/CJ/Caruso
DDR/Caruso/Terry
PWill/#11/Phillips
Drummond/Vuc/#21
Or they let DDR walk/sign-and-trade him and go younger

ATL gets WAY better on D
Murray/BI/Johnson/Capela as their core, with Hunter, Griffin, #1 pick (Sarr)/Okongwu/Bufkin bench
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,701

Post#23 » by Statlanta » Tue May 21, 2024 6:43 pm

Praying they get healthy like the mid 2010s Clippers but it seems a few players(Valanciunas, Ingram) have had enough.
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,040

Post#24 » by HotelVitale » Tue May 21, 2024 7:05 pm

Pointgod wrote:They’re pot committed to Zion. Sunk cost fallacy in real time. They probably should trade him but they’re going to try and ride the Zion bus until the wheels fall off.

It's not a sunk cost, just a strategic decision. Zion's doens't have great trade value because of his injury risk, but his upside means he's not 'sunk' and could be the center of a really nice team if he stays healthy. He just played 70 games this year and the Pelicans almost won 50 games, and they have enough talent on hand to lose BI and give the basic Zion-led team another shot. They also know a BI-led team aint it so can get something decent for him while also being able to afford their younger pieces (Herb/Trey Murphy/Daniels/Hawkins), let them continue to develop on a decent team with a couple vets around. If Zion's healthy and tuned in they can make some real noise, if not then they're still a pretty good team that has the option to go deeper into rebuild at any point.

I really don't think it's so bad to try to win another 50+ games and have a good exciting team with some young reinforcements, rather than selling off Zion and BI and maybe CJ and winning like 28-30 games next year. Just too early to pull the plug on the Zion experiment, and they have enough in the works that they don't have to.
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,699

Post#25 » by KingFox » Tue May 21, 2024 7:19 pm

They need to find a way to move on from Zion. It just looks like it’s impossible for him to stay healthy which makes every other move not matter as much
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,892

Post#26 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 21, 2024 7:24 pm

After the way Zion played in the play-in game, the Pelicans would be absolutely crazy not to build around him.

With the way Zion exited that play-in game, the Pelicans would be absolutely crazy to build around him.

Health issues make a GM’s job incredibly tough.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,306

Post#27 » by Lalouie » Tue May 21, 2024 7:34 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I'm not sure I understand what direction the Pels are moving. Building a contender around Zion? Looking for a third piece around Zion and BI? Looking to retool? Looking to cut salary? Looking to blow it up?

Or are they simply happy to chug along where they are at?

they had their time. in the nba windows close but quick
..and they're doing 50 on the freeway

bi is a third option
zion is unhealthy
mccollum is old
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,160

Post#28 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:57 pm

OK. If I read the room correctly, NO is content to continue contending with Zion as their #1. Trying to win 50 games every year but knowing making much noise in the playoffs is probably unlikely unless one of their young players turns into a top 15 player.

Also will look to move BI for a lead guard in a lateral positional change move
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,442

Post#29 » by DaGawd » Tue May 21, 2024 8:47 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:Hoping Zion isn't spending the summer drinking himself full of soda pop.

I drink that stuff in my 20's. Now I will get sick if I drink MTN DEW.

That stuff is literally sugar in a can. Funny as you get older your taste buds change.

i imagine zion is a frequent visitor to cook out down there in the carolinas
BaF
Washington Wizards
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,431

Post#30 » by TheNewEra » Tue May 21, 2024 8:52 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:
Saints14 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Their center rotation is about as bad as you could surround Zion with.

Fair point

JV is good. They had a solid roster this year.

Also so was Nance
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 186

Post#31 » by Astaluego » Tue May 21, 2024 9:02 pm

Saints14 wrote:Funny thing is they built a perfect team around Zion if he was the superstar they thought he would be. If he does become that guy they're in great shape. But odds of that happening aren't looking good

They would need a 5 that can defend and stretch the floor, to put next to Zion and a true PG in my opinion....

CJ for WCJ and Ingram for D.Murray

balances them quite well and they save to pay Murphy.

Murray/Herb/Murphy/Zion/WCJr

..Zion surrounded by 3D guys with a solid bench

Alvarado/Hawkins/Daniels/Marshall/Nance
Old Mike Lorenzo
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,347

Post#32 » by ShootersShoot » Tue May 21, 2024 9:05 pm

It feels like zion has been in the league for much longer but he is only 23 yrs old. I just want to see their current core go through at least one playoff run. They have some good pieces, depth, and fun to watch.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,936

Post#33 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 21, 2024 9:10 pm

New Orleans won't do it, but they should trade Zion and Ingram (and by extension McCollum). This build isn't going to take them anywhere in the short term or the long term. The Western Conference is too strong and deep to rely on injury prone stars.

Short term: OKC, Minnesota, Dallas, Denver and (healthy) Memphis are better.
Long term: San Antonio and Houston look more promising

With that being said, if they could pull off a trade of Ingram for Ayton, I'd feel a lot better about their roster balance, even if they are losing Naji Marshall in FA.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,078

Post#34 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 21, 2024 9:18 pm

DaGawd wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:Hoping Zion isn't spending the summer drinking himself full of soda pop.

I drink that stuff in my 20's. Now I will get sick if I drink MTN DEW.

That stuff is literally sugar in a can. Funny as you get older your taste buds change.

i imagine zion is a frequent visitor to cook out down there in the carolinas

:lol:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,747

Post#35 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 21, 2024 9:38 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:New Orleans won't do it, but they should trade Zion and Ingram (and by extension McCollum). This build isn't going to take them anywhere in the short term or the long term. The Western Conference is too strong and deep to rely on injury prone stars.

Short term: OKC, Minnesota, Dallas, Denver and (healthy) Memphis are better.
Long term: San Antonio and Houston look more promising

With that being said, if they could pull off a trade of Ingram for Ayton, I'd feel a lot better about their roster balance, even if they are losing Naji Marshall in FA.

Ayton has, at best, nuetral value so that shouldn't be difficult. The problem is they really can't commit $30M at center.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,669

Post#36 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 21, 2024 11:08 pm

djsunyc wrote:BI for trae?

lol Trae >>> Ingram
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,929

Post#37 » by djsunyc » Tue May 21, 2024 11:09 pm

Wolveswin wrote:

lol Trae >>> Ingram

there would be picks involved.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,669

Post#38 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 21, 2024 11:10 pm

djsunyc wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

lol Trae >>> Ingram

And? So Hawks are punting on their own desire to win-now in exchange for Pels’ needs?!?

And what happens when/if Ingram bolts - because you know an expiring Unrestricted Free Agent can do that.

Trades need to - in some realm of RGM reality - consider needs of both teams.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 197

Post#39 » by louc1970 » Wed May 22, 2024 12:01 am

I suggest Pelicans and Cavs deal.
Cavs send Allen, Strus, Mitchell
Pelicans send Ingram, McCollum, #17 and #21.

Both teams risk a player walking. For moving McCollum for Allen, Pels offer their draft picks this year.

Thought of making this 2 trades and having Strus for JV in a S&T. I but wasn’t sure if it was legal.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,929

Post#40 » by djsunyc » Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 am

Wolveswin wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:lol Trae >>> Ingram

And? So Hawks are punting on their own desire to win-now in exchange for Pels’ needs?!?

And what happens when/if Ingram bolts - because you know an expiring Unrestricted Free Agent can do that.

Trades need to - in some realm of RGM reality - consider needs of both teams.

i mean ultimately, nobody knows what the hawks want to do. i just threw out names of 2 guys that may need to change scenery. ingram + picks for trae is about as good as a deal you can hope for with trae if they plan to move him. what other player that's better than ingram can you get for trae?

Return to The General Board