Method to avoid tanking

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Flipside
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#21 » by Flipside » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:28 pm

When teams tank, don't their organization lose money from ticket sales and what not?
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#22 » by Dtown84 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:32 pm

I think last years lottery was an excellent reason not to tank.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#23 » by GJense4181 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:40 pm

Have players, coaches, and front office members from lottery teams vote and rank the other teams from best (14th pick) to worst (1st pick) lottery team.
They would be told to take injuries into account. If the Trailblazers WERE awful this year, they'd consider the fact that Greg Oden would return next year.
If Memphis and Boston *truly* tanked last season, the other teams would know about it and not reward such behavior.
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#24 » by Kobay » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:44 pm

I think they should take % hits in their salary if they aren't couple of games within the 8th seed.
I love heinsohn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#25 » by I love heinsohn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:49 pm

bstein14 wrote:This is a terrible idea. YOu would get teams tanking to miss the playoffs.

You think Orlando would have rather got swept by Detroit last year or missed the playoffs to play for the #1 pick to add Oden next to Dwight?

The best thing to do would be to change it back to the way it was.

From worst to best record, start with 14 balls and go to 1. Then pick all 14 spots using the lottery system.
This actually seems like the most reasonable solution to me (although maybe leave the percentages closer to where they are now). The NBA just got spooked a few years back when the Magic got Penny from the last lottery spot after getting Shaq the year before. Under this system there is still very little probability of the worst team falling out of the top 5, but a much better chance of teams that just missed the playoffs moving into the top 10. That seems fair to me and will limit tanking.

As for the first comment, I highly doubt that many teams would tank to go from in the playoffs to out. First off, the coaches and players have zero reason go along. They are often judged on results and that includes winning games. They also get bonus money for making the playoffs.

Second, every team gets home playoff games even if they are swept. That is extra money for the owner.

Third, the slim odds (less than a 1% chance at number 1 under your system) of actually getting a top pick means that it would be a very risky gamble for the GM to slide out of the playoffs. Just look at what happened to Boston and Memphis last year -- and they each had a MUCH better chance to get the top pick.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,419

Post#26 » by Scalabrine » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:43 pm

CB4MiamiHeat wrote:Dont be surprised to see this lineup tomorrow with Haslem getting "injured" and Wade having the "flu".

Jason Williams
Ricky Davis
Dorrel Wright
Alexander Johnson
Mark Blount

FIXED.
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#27 » by RockTHECasbah » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:04 pm

MrCheerios wrote:Give the 4th, 5th, and 6th worst teams the most balls followed by 1-3. The worst teams still get great picks, but you gotta try at least a little to have the best shot. Give teams an incentive to avoid being the worst team and they'll win games.

Then you get the 7th and even 8th worse teams tanking.
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca

Return to The General Board