Still think James is a bad defender?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#21 » by NetsForce » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:23 am

Lebron is not even a top 5 defensive small forward. Really the LBJ hype needs to be stop, he has significantly improved his defense (not hard considering how bad it was the last few years) but he's not a lockdown defender by any means.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,690

Post#22 » by dc » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:24 am

jzmagik wrote:Lebron is looking like hes turning into a beast of a defender in clutch time, but he's gotta keep it up for the first 3 quarters to truly shine.

I'm going to give him a pass on the first 3 quarters because he basically has to carry his team offensively for his team for all 4 quarters for them to have a chance to win.

He's still human and he's forced to play big minutes. No way anyone has the energy to totally carry his team offensively while giving lockdown defenisve effort for 4 quarters as well. That's being unreasonable.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,080

Post#23 » by Stanford » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:32 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:I will consider it the day Lebron defends against a bigger player. can he stop a KG or Boozer or Duncan types. he has a given advantage on smaller players, but what about the bigger taller ones. oh, btw he needs to defend the whole game not just in 4th qtr.

Who the f can stop KG or TD?
LiquidFire
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#24 » by LiquidFire » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:33 am

why the f*** would he guard they other teams best swing players ( and now post players too LOL) for the first 3 quarters? to get in foul trouble? to lose energy? it doesnt make ANY sense at all, and considering the cavs great wing defenders plus larry hughes who as much as he sucks is still a solid defender. you guys are just trying to find flaws to exploit his weaknesses.
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#25 » by TMACFORMVP » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:34 am

He's tremendously improved, really using that strength, athleticism and god given talent he's been given. I expect him to make All-NBA Defensive teams on a regular basis as soon as next year.
Cevap
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#26 » by Cevap » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:34 am

Stanford wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Who the f can stop KG or TD?

playoffs and regular seasons respectivelly
NetsForce
Banned User

Post#27 » by NetsForce » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:53 am

I don't know why Lebron would ever be asked to guard Duncan it would be a massacre... I could actually see him guarding Garnett effectively though, it's still not something any smart coach would have Lebron do for an entire game though... Especially when the Cavs are so bad offensively.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,977

Post#28 » by INKtastic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:07 am

the question is, why are LeBron and Kobe being held to different standards. Kobe doesn't take the top wing player for 4 quarters night in and night out, yet he is widely considered to be first team all defense.

Why is LeBron being asked to do that? He does constantly play lock down defense on the other team's best player in the 4th quarters when the game is on the line. The last two games are just the most recent examples. His 4th quarter defense has been nearly as good as his 4th quarter offense.

And just how is a knock on LeBron's defense that he's bigger and stronger than Kobe?
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
dm17415
Head Coach
And1: 172

Post#29 » by dm17415 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:14 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

well Kobe is smaller than Lebron and they play different positions so why is Kobe being judged on different standards.

Because Kobe is overrated on defense now and was hyped up more then he deserved during the Shaq era because his assignment would settle for jumpers instead of taking it inside due to the presence of diesel.
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#30 » by Baseline Runner » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:43 am

There happens to be a lot of great defensive SFs in the league for some reason, more than any other position. But Lebron is getting so good defensively that, although not as good yet, he can be placed in the same echelon with guys like Artest and Howard. The same attributes that make him a force on the offensive end, his athleticism, speed, strength, etc., make him a game changer on the defensive end as well. The three biggest improvements I've seen in his defense is that he doesn't overcommit going for the ball or a steal as frequently as he used to (but his steals still remain high), he's better at staying with his man when moving without the ball, and he has gotten better at in his timing at challenging and blocking shots. I could see him averaging 3 steals and 2 blocks a game in a few years, I don't think anyone has ever put up those numbers.
NetsForce
Banned User

Post#31 » by NetsForce » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:49 am

Artest gets less pub. now that he's in Sacramento but he's still a significantly better defender than Lebron. I actually have Lebron right below the tier that Josh Howard and Battier are on though, he's slightly above Richard Jefferson to put things in perspective.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,993

Post#32 » by Tim Lehrbach » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:50 am

I won't lie, LeBron gave Brandon fits down the stretch tonight. He took the ball in the paint, what, once or twice in the last six minutes? Tough loss.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Harry Heinous
Banned User
Location: MIAMI. Home of the champion HEAT * CANES * DOLPHINS * MARLINS

Post#33 » by Harry Heinous » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:55 am

well Kobe is smaller than Lebron and they play different positions so why is Kobe being judged on different standards.

This has nothing to do with Kobe.
NetsForce
Banned User

Post#34 » by NetsForce » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:58 am

Harry Heinous wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This has nothing to do with Kobe.

Everything in life has something to do with Kobe. Come on Harry, you're better thn that.
Harry Heinous
Banned User
Location: MIAMI. Home of the champion HEAT * CANES * DOLPHINS * MARLINS

Post#35 » by Harry Heinous » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:01 am

NetsForce wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Everything in life has something to do with Kobe. Come on Harry, you're better thn that.

:banghead: what was I thinking, you're right.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#36 » by Egg Nog » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:54 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:I will consider it the day Lebron defends against a bigger player. can he stop a KG or Boozer or Duncan types. he has a given advantage on smaller players, but what about the bigger taller ones. oh, btw he needs to defend the whole game not just in 4th qtr.

Gary Payton was a crappy defender because he couldn't defend Shaq.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,856

Post#37 » by TyCobb » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:12 am

yes I do, especially when I have a point that you haven't considered yet.

LOL!
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#38 » by B-Scott » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:10 am

I think a lot of ppl keep assume he doesn't D up and don't watch the games. Lebron in my opinion is having a better defensve year then Kobe and watch Kobe be 1st team all D again.

Some players get by on there reputation. Lebron has played great D on a consistent basis,night in and night out.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#39 » by Ballings7 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:09 am

I don't think many have thought he's a "bad" defender, but has gotten better and better each season. He's definitely solid overall, and when committed he's quite good. Can't commit defensively to his man over a game, but in the 4th qtr he can and does. Not sure how consistent this has been or when it's begun, but off hand I recall it numerous times this season. I'd guess more than I know of also, because I don't watch Cleveland on League Pass really, and have learned of it on this board randomly.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics

Return to The General Board