Jontay Porter banned from the NBA

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,396

Re: Jontay Porter banned from the NBA 

Post#201 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:46 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
NBA players can't bet on games in the NBA or its partners (WNBA, G-League, Summer League, etc.).

I mean, they also advertise beer but don’t condone underage drinking or drunk driving.

Let me know when the NBA bans players indefinitely for drinking. I will also laugh if an NBA player is banned for that with official alcohol partners Hennessy and Michelob being advertised before, during, and after that report.

So, we 10 pages in and not yet figured out that Porter did not receive a ban for plain "betting". How come people do not understand that some actions are legal and some don't? Defending yourself with fire arm is legal somewhat, at least in the US. Going next to a stranger and shooting him for no reason however, is not legal. Both things involves same action but it us quite clearly different.
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 389

Post#202 » by reddyplayerone » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:47 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:As a somewhat well known high end whisky reviewer, 100% yes those are degenerate behaviors.

dhsilv2 wrote: I clearly said "you do you". I'm not here to judge people

Pick a lane
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,498

Post#203 » by phanman » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:49 pm

docholliday99 wrote:Should be some context in here for some. Gambling is not illegal when regulated but gambling on the outcome of a game where you can influence that outcome, is a criminal violation, will most likely be charged and you will be suspended or banned from that sport. Integrity of the game has come into question. Steroids are the same, many people take them legally when it's regulated, but when you take them illegally where you can influence the outcome of the game, it's a criminal violation, you could be charged criminally and you will be suspended or banned from that sport. Integrity of the game has come into question.

My question now is how long will it take the league to start investigation Jontay's brother, Michael. Maybe they won't, can you imagine what would happen if he's involved in any way?

I would assume they already took a preliminary look into him and found nothing. You can't seriously investigate him just because he's his brother. Everybody is their own person. Especially a guy who has already guaranteed his financial security with that 207m max contract he signed 3 years ago. These amounts being reported are chump change in comparison to what he earns.
MrGoat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,670

Post#204 » by MrGoat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 pm

NY2k1 wrote:Not to say this isn't deserved, because it is, but I wonder what the NBA would have done or do if this was someone like Lebron James or an upcoming superstar like Wembanyama. Someone like Jontay Porter is essentially a nobody, so it's easy to just lifetime ban him.

In 1951 the NBA banned the #1 pick in the draft for life for point shaving in college before he even played a game. Intentionally underperforming in a game to win a bet is so bad for the integrity of the game even LeBron or Victor would get hit with lifetime bans if they were so colossally stupid as to even try it, the NBA would have no other choice

Other off court stuff is handled by the legal system (and Porter might still go to jail for this because it is illegal) but in sports this is pretty much the ultimate no no and that is a precedent that has been around for a long time
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#205 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:51 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
What more need be said? Gambling is degenerate behavior. Same with cheating on your wife. Or whatever other social norms we have created in the last 200,000 years that we look at as bad for these reasons. You do you...I don't care. But lets not act like it's acceptable behavior. It's no better than doing drugs to your health. It's just another way to get your brain to push out excess stimulants to feel good in an unhealthy way.

It's an addictive vice that has massive negatives and has no real benefits to society or the individual.

Well, you can say that about most modern and not modern amenities. I almost never bet on sports, but during major FIFA tournaments, I usually pick at least one team I like, since I don't have my own fandom one, and place a bet on them winning, so I would find tournament more interesting and I would have team to cheer for and simply be on a ball while the rest of the world cheering for their own guys.

I really do not see how that makes me a degenerate. Are people who eat cake and drink alcohol on special occasions also degenerate? That stuff also addicting, unhealthy and often worse.

As a somewhat well known high end whisky reviewer, 100% yes those are degenerate behaviors. I clearly said "you do you". I'm not here to judge people, but we should understand they are not things we should push as social norms or market to through means that the general public see. And again, I say this as someone who gets actually paid to review whisky (not for a living...but I'm technically a professional in the sense I get tens and tens of dollars and thousands of people know me, lol).

And I think you'll get my point but for others reading this. I'm not calling anyone a bad person for gambling. It's just degenerate behavor - or more to my point "having lost the moral qualities considered desirable in society"

I think calling it a degenerate behavior and comparing it to cheating is quite clearly judging.

I would agree that advertisements for it is too much and probably need more regulations. Just like cigarettes, they legally enforced to state the possible negative negative side effects of it after every single ad, so I think it is a good start.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,628

Post#206 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:52 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Where's the Lifetime ban for beating your wife?

Yup. The NBA decides to partner with an industry that thrives off of addiction and punishes a player for it (he should be punished, not sure if this should be the punishment) but has much less severe penalties for much more severe crimes.

I think we been through this. Do we really want to ban people if they did that? I mean maybe, probably, but do we really want that?

Assaulting your wife is a terrible crime, but I feel that if person served his time or did his punishment, in most cases, not all, even if he did a bad crime, I want the idea that he could have a job. Maybe not in the NBA anymore, and we can discuss it as people.

But when you ilegally hurt your own company, it is different, and I think people know it, and I think people know it that company punishing them harsher is actually reasonable and is not a case of hypocrisy.

As I said yesterday, if you work at target, and they catch you stealing from it, and taking advantage of your position, just to steal from target and its customers, you done, you ain't working at target ever and for good reason. That doesn't mean that now target can't employ people who in the past did more severe crimes than stealing from target. I do not see that as hypocritical at all, it is perfectly reasonable.

Not like NBA is funding a court to get Porter more jail time than what Miles Bridges got. They banned him from their business and that's that.

I'm not saying that either should be banned, to be clear. I'm not sure people should get a 3rd or 4th chance in something like the NBA, but certainly, I believe (and hope) people can change after doing bad things. If we don't give people that chance, the world is a pretty dark place without redemption.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,261

Post#207 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:52 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
How is gambling on sports is being a scumbag. What?

About initial post, rules are placed now and teams need to disclose most of that information before hand, so there is not that much you can hack that at least bookers already wouldn't know.

Also, they are smart. These bets often have many qualifiers now, because they were burned in the oast when public receives info and acts faster than bookies do. Now they just have qualifiers.

What more need be said? Gambling is degenerate behavior. Same with cheating on your wife. Or whatever other social norms we have created in the last 200,000 years that we look at as bad for these reasons. You do you...I don't care. But lets not act like it's acceptable behavior. It's no better than doing drugs to your health. It's just another way to get your brain to push out excess stimulants to feel good in an unhealthy way.

It's an addictive vice that has massive negatives and has no real benefits to society or the individual.

Caffeine, alcohol, social media, and McDonald’s are also addictive. If someone has caffeine, alcohol, social media, or McDonald’s does that make them a scumbag? Can all those things be compared to cheating on your wife, or is it okay in moderation and something that only a Puritan would condemn?

Is discussing sports on an online message board good for society or does that count as a vice also? Is debating people on Realgm a healthy behavior?

There are levels of bad. McDonalds and crack are pretty horrible. Social Media can be even worse...or could be less so. Caffeine is pretty healthy even if it's also addicting. Alcohol (see my last message on this topic) is clearly horrible for society on the whole.

Debate is a good question. One the one hand it keeps our minds sharp. On the other, we tend to fall into arguments that aren't positive.

The force I took on gambling was to make a point. The NBA is standing firmly in bed with something that is unquestionably bad for us as a society and for most individuals (some people are fine doing it). This goes beyond say letting McDonalds or bud poison people through ads. We accept that life comes with risks and adults get to make their own choices. But the NBA isn't just saying "hey, we'll put your logo on our court". They're letting people actively spend money through these companies while at their events! They've gone from sponsored to having a symbiotic relationship.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 12,127

Post#208 » by Nate505 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:55 pm

Lord_Zedd wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Wow. He didn't bet on any NBA games...correct? Or am I wrong about that?

He even bet on his own team to lose....... lol

Read on Twitter

Yup, ban him for life and then double it.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 14,083

Post#209 » by Rich Rane » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:58 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
I mean, they also advertise beer but don’t condone underage drinking or drunk driving.

Let me know when the NBA bans players indefinitely for drinking. I will also laugh if an NBA player is banned for that with official alcohol partners Hennessy and Michelob being advertised before, during, and after that report.

So, we 10 pages in and not yet figured out that Porter did not receive a ban for plain "betting". How come people do not understand that some actions are legal and some don't?

One of the reasons Porter was banned was literally for "betting on NBA games". It doesn't state he was banned for all of the reasons the NBA gave nor does it state he was banned just for betting. However, there is a possibility he could've been banned solely for that given the leaguewide memo prohibiting gambling and the NBA's past punishments due to gambling.
Nate505
RealGM

Post#210 » by Nate505 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:00 pm

advent11 wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
In this case he deserves a ban, it was not just him gambling. He was tanking prop bets that were for him so his friends and probably he could win money. That is so messed up.

The point isn't that Porter didn't deserve it, the point is that the NBA hands out far lesser punishments for far more egregious acts.

Jeopardizing the integrity of the game is the most egregious act you can commit from the league's perspective. Rightfully so.

I'm legitimately stunned this is an argument here. He literally bet on the team he was playing for to lose.

Like if he's betting on NFL games, I can see people being outraged, but for most sports leagues this stuff approaches existential crisis levels.
Nate505
RealGM

Post#211 » by Nate505 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:02 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Absolutely deserved, but we all know that if he was even a Derozan level player, he would've just been slapped on the wrist. I hope if someone like Anthony Davis or Zion was caught doing this the result would be the same. You've set the precedent. Stay consistent.

If a huge name star is caught betting on their team to lose, they should be banned for life as well. And the league would face heavy scrutiny if they didn't.

The league can survive without Anthony Davis or Zion playing. The league can't survive if the public feels like players are not being competitive for gambling reasons.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#212 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:02 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Well, you can say that about most modern and not modern amenities. I almost never bet on sports, but during major FIFA tournaments, I usually pick at least one team I like, since I don't have my own fandom one, and place a bet on them winning, so I would find tournament more interesting and I would have team to cheer for and simply be on a ball while the rest of the world cheering for their own guys.

I really do not see how that makes me a degenerate. Are people who eat cake and drink alcohol on special occasions also degenerate? That stuff also addicting, unhealthy and often worse.

As a somewhat well known high end whisky reviewer, 100% yes those are degenerate behaviors. I clearly said "you do you". I'm not here to judge people, but we should understand they are not things we should push as social norms or market to through means that the general public see. And again, I say this as someone who gets actually paid to review whisky (not for a living...but I'm technically a professional in the sense I get tens and tens of dollars and thousands of people know me, lol).

And I think you'll get my point but for others reading this. I'm not calling anyone a bad person for gambling. It's just degenerate behavor - or more to my point "having lost the moral qualities considered desirable in society"

I think calling it a degenerate behavior and comparing it to cheating is quite clearly judging.

I would agree that advertisements for it is too much and probably need more regulations. Just like cigarettes, they legally enforced to state the possible negative negative side effects of it after every single ad, so I think it is a good start.

You're judging me as someone who has a problem perhaps with cheating? I don't care if you do that. But I also am pretty aware it's not good for society if people on the whole do that act. Same with drinking, smoking, or gambling. Thus my word are clear and accurate.

You bring up the ads, but the NBA isn't advertising gambling. They're directly tied to them, allowing them to function in their arenas. This is a HUGE step forward in that area.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,775

Post#213 » by Yoshun » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:03 pm

This is not an issue of morals guys, the NBA is a business. They rely on people trusting the outcomes of the games are solely based on the skill of the teams, coaches, etc... Gambling on the part of people employed by the league creates doubt in the consumer and hurts their product. People don't want to watch games (or bet on) if they believe the outcomes are predetermined somehow. It's that simple.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#214 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:03 pm

reddyplayerone wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:As a somewhat well known high end whisky reviewer, 100% yes those are degenerate behaviors.

Pick a lane

You do you and accept that we can be degenerates. I sure as hell am one...
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,207

Post#215 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:04 pm

Do people not understand that rules for punishments have to be collectively bargained and Adam Silver can't unilaterally decide what to ban players for?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#216 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:04 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

So, we 10 pages in and not yet figured out that Porter did not receive a ban for plain "betting". How come people do not understand that some actions are legal and some don't? Defending yourself with fire arm is legal somewhat, at least in the US. Going next to a stranger and shooting him for no reason however, is not legal. Both things involves same action but it us quite clearly different.

One of the reasons Porter was banned was literally for "betting on NBA games". It doesn't state he was banned for all of the reasons the NBA gave nor does it state he was banned just for betting. However, there is a possibility he could've been banned solely for that given the leaguewide memo prohibiting gambling and the NBA's past punishments due to gambling.

Yes, one of the reasons. Reports are clear of violations he did, tho betting on any NBA games is banned for these players, because if inside trading laws.
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,637

Post#217 » by 1993Playoffs » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:05 pm

If this is a lifetime ban , a crapload of other guys should be as well.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 14,083

Post#218 » by Rich Rane » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:07 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Yes, one of the reasons. Reports are clear of violations he did, tho betting on any NBA games is banned for these players, because if inside trading laws.

Great. I apologize to you if I still find humor in the massive integration of gambling and sports while still being a reason to ban a player for it.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 855

Post#219 » by disoblige » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:07 pm

his discord is protecting the guy who sold his team

reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 389

Post#220 » by reddyplayerone » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:08 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:

Pick a lane

You do you and accept that we can be degenerates. I sure as hell am one...

Like I said, y'all do realize you do not have to come onto the internet and tell on yourselves, right?

Return to The General Board