[Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,040

Re: [Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes) 

Post#221 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:59 pm

Buckets22 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Hints on the big-city mayor who wasn't Kevin Johnson:

-- He stepped into what was regarded as a crisis situation.
-- He was a successful businessman first.

Dave Bing, Detroit.

Bing-go!
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Re: [Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes) 

Post#222 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:01 pm

-Luke- wrote:You have heard this already if you listened to the Hoop Collective podcast in Vegas:

Joel Embiid was first in the league in points per game the last two seasons. He leads the league in ppg again this season. Who was the last big man who had the most points per game in the NBA three years in a row?

I'd guess it goes all the way back to Wilt.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#223 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:21 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
-Luke- wrote:You have heard this already if you listened to the Hoop Collective podcast in Vegas:

Joel Embiid was first in the league in points per game the last two seasons. He leads the league in ppg again this season. Who was the last big man who had the most points per game in the NBA three years in a row?

And that reminds me -- any further guesses as to who was an all-star for two different franchises in the same city?
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,621

Post#224 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:40 pm

The latest was Bob McAdoo, before him was Wilt, and before him was Mikan, and that's it. :clap:
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,621

Post#225 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:42 pm

And that reminds me -- any further guesses as to who was an all-star for two different franchises in the same city?

My guess is Norm Nixon, Lakers and Clippers.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#226 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:51 pm

I doubt anybody will know the VC answer, so I'll put in a spoiler.
Spoiler:
John Hummer.
Drafted when fans rightly preferred Bob Lanier or Calvin Murphy.
Played with Geoff Petrie in college and John Brisker :) in the pros.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hummer
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#227 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:54 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:

Not who I had in mind, but it turns out to be correct. His All-Star season with the Clippers was their first year in LA.

The guy I'm thinking of is much more prominent. In fact:

Spoiler:
He won the MVP for two different franchises in the same city. :)
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,059

Post#228 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:06 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:

That was the one I found as well when I looked up the Clippers.
-Luke-
Starter

Post#229 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:09 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:

Not who I had in mind, but it turns out to be correct. His All-Star season with the Clippers was their first year in LA.

Spoiler:

Oh, now I get it. I was focussing on New York and LA only. But I forgot that Wilt played for the Philadelphia Warriors and the Philadelphia 76ers.
-Luke-
Starter

Post#230 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:10 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:

The latest was Bob McAdoo, before him was Wilt, and before him was Mikan, and that's it. :clap:

Correct.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#231 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:11 am

-Luke- wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

Spoiler:

Oh, now I get it. I was focussing on New York and LA only. But I forgot that Wilt played for the Philadelphia Warriors and the Philadelphia 76ers.

It turned out that that answer wasn't as obvious as I had thought. ;)
-Luke-
Starter

Post#232 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:11 am

Okay, without looking it up: Who was the first MVP of the NBA not named Bob, Bill or Wilt?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#233 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:19 am

Who has been both 6th Man of the Year and All-NBA First Team?

Note: The 6MotY award was introduced in the early 1980s. So John Havlicek never won it. :)
-Luke-
Starter

Post#234 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:20 am

Another one. What do these four players have in common?

Maurice Cheeks
David Robinson
Dwight Howard
Joakim Noah
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#235 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:20 am

-Luke- wrote:Okay, without looking it up: Who was the first MVP of the NBA not named Bob, Bill or Wilt?

Oscar

Russell and Chamberlain got most of the early MVP awards, but Bob Cousy got the first one, I think Bob Pettit snuck in for one, and I'm sure Oscar Robertson won once.
-Luke-
Starter

Post#236 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:22 am

-Luke- wrote:Okay, without looking it up: Who was the first MVP of the NBA not named Bob, Bill or Wilt?

Oscar

That's right. But I actually completely missed Oscar when I looked at the list and thought the answer was Wes Unseld. But Oscar is right of course.
-Luke-
Starter

Post#237 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:23 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:Who has been both 6th Man of the Year and All-NBA First Team?

Note: The 6MotY award was introduced in the early 1980s. So John Havlicek never won it. :)

In the same season?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#238 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:30 am

What is the most common last initiai for #1 overall picks?

What letter has been the last initial for 4 guys picked #1 overall, yet for fewer than 100 NBA players in total?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#239 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:30 am

-Luke- wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Who has been both 6th Man of the Year and All-NBA First Team?

In the same season?

No. At different points in their careers.
-Luke-
Starter

Post#240 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:31 am

-Luke- wrote:

In the same season?

No. At different points in their careers.

Harden and McHale come to mind.

Return to The General Board