Bronny James dominates at the draft combine

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,997

Re: Bronny James dominates at the draft combine 

Post#301 » by cdubbz » Sun May 19, 2024 4:43 am

DrCoach wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
Where did u read that i said he was a lotto pick?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DrCoach - your compasrions are wild and baseless.

I used to be a pro scout for years

These comps are very good

That's cool! Comparisons are extremely difficult imo because most of us including myself compare to players with similar build mostly. Your comparison i don't see any similarity other than size and build.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,997

Post#302 » by cdubbz » Sun May 19, 2024 4:48 am

Bronny James can still turn into an NBA player. Scottie Pippen Jr played several seasons in college and is just getting into the NBA and I think he has so much potential as a defensive reserve guard. Gary Payton II took years in the G-league and in and out of the NBA to finally make the league. So many recent NBA players sons are in the mix of being an NBA player - I think it sucks that Lebron is pushing for Bronny to even be potentially a FRP.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,575

Post#303 » by Pelly24 » Sun May 19, 2024 6:33 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
You also have to factor in that he put those numbers up on an awful team as well. On a good team, it's more likely those numbers would have been even worse as he wouldn't have even gotten the minutes he did.

I actually don't think that's necessarily true. Bronny plays better when he's put with better players and on teams that have clearly defined roles. No matter where he went, he was going to be able to play defense and make smart passes. He had the highest IQ on the Trojans this year as a freshman. On another team guards would get him cleaner shots most likely, put him in better positions to be a secondary playmaker.

Or he just doesn't play at all because there would be better players in front of him

Maybe, but I don't think either is a foregone conclusion. He held his own at the Combine and Hoop Summit and McDonald's All American Game. It's not as if he can't play at all. He can play defense, he makes smart passes and if he played with teammates who actually could get him the ball in good spots, maybe he shoots better. I'm a bronny skeptic saying this, too.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#304 » by DrCoach » Sun May 19, 2024 6:57 pm

cdubbz wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DrCoach - your compasrions are wild and baseless.

I used to be a pro scout for years

These comps are very good

That's cool! Comparisons are extremely difficult imo because most of us including myself compare to players with similar build mostly. Your comparison i don't see any similarity other than size and build.

When doing comparisons the first thing you do is look at size and build …lol

Miles Mcbride was a 2nd re pick after is 2nd yr.

Not sure why that comparison when Bronny is a freshman is so controversial

Bronnys best attribute is defense which is also the same as McBride

Both are not true PG’s and more combo guards

Bronny also tested well athletically

Bronny has been one of bst players in draft

Th biggest predictor of NBA success is having a NBa father
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 534

Post#305 » by cornchip » Sun May 19, 2024 7:02 pm

cdubbz wrote:Bronny James can still turn into an NBA player. Scottie Pippen Jr played several seasons in college and is just getting into the NBA and I think he has so much potential as a defensive reserve guard. Gary Payton II took years in the G-league and in and out of the NBA to finally make the league. So many recent NBA players sons are in the mix of being an NBA player - I think it sucks that Lebron is pushing for Bronny to even be potentially a FRP.

Yeah that's the messed up part about this. Payton II in particular was an excellent college guard who had lead ball handler duties and was his teams primary scorer.

Bronny is realistically a 3 to 4 year college player. Last year, he got acclimated to the major conference DI game. This year, he should've been a solid contributor. Years 3 and 4, he should be a focal point/star player. It would help so many issues he has with his game (ballhandling, shooting off the dribble, steals and blocks).

But like many, he has to go up a level to fit a "timeline".
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,564

Post#306 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 19, 2024 8:22 pm

The knock on Bronny seems to be based on his box score numbers. This has a lot more influence on the every day fan than actual scouts.

So I suspect he gets drafted above people's expectations and plays better than people expect in the NBA.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,409

Post#307 » by KembaWalker » Sun May 19, 2024 8:28 pm

zimpy27 wrote:The knock on Bronny seems to be based on his box score numbers. This has a lot more influence on the every day fan than actual scouts.

So I suspect he gets drafted above people's expectations and plays better than people expect in the NBA.

True, his own dad is out there showing that a good box score line isn’t worth much. Maybe pairing LeBrons empty calorie numbers with Bronnys natural born winner 4/2/2 35% lines will result in the ultimate team
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,114

Post#308 » by LaLover11 » Sun May 19, 2024 8:54 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:The knock on Bronny seems to be based on his box score numbers. This has a lot more influence on the every day fan than actual scouts.

True, his own dad is out there showing that a good box score line isn’t worth much. Maybe pairing LeBrons empty calorie numbers with Bronnys natural born winner 4/2/2 35% lines will result in the ultimate team

You figured it out.... Ultimate fusion
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
bluemj32
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,064

Post#309 » by bluemj32 » Sun May 19, 2024 9:32 pm

DrCoach wrote:His floor is Miles McBride

His ceiling is Donovan mitchell
Spida, LMAO.....u have to be joking

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,575

Post#310 » by Pelly24 » Sun May 19, 2024 9:34 pm

I've long thought Bronny has a shot to be a legit rotation player in the league. BUT more down the road than in the next year to two.

The thing with the box score stuff is interesting because it's actually pretty telling. Bronny has thus far shown an unusual dearth of ball skills for a high major player, let alone an NBA player. He is a good athlete, but he's too tiff and rigid in his movements, he dribbles like a football player learning to play basketball. He's unable to create shots for himself at the rim or in the half court at all with any consistency. His handle is by far the biggest thing in his way, more than size and even more than his jumper (which should ultimately be fine). If he figures out his handle/gets more mobile in his lower body, he'll have at least a 7-year NBA career. His IQ is very high, he's got a strong build that might even get stronger (which is hard to imagine because he's a complete tank at 6'2" 210 already).

Return to The General Board