2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (IND WINS 4-3)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the ECFs?

Knicks
33%
Pacers
67%

Total votes: 110

durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,479

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (NYK leads 2-0) 

Post#3001 » by durden_tyler » Fri May 10, 2024 6:18 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Insane
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Impressive. i wish they do this as well to someone like Tobias Harris in the last series. Or whoever is playing so bad in the current ones so we get to pile up on them some more. LOL
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,254

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (NYK leads 2-0) 

Post#3002 » by Nuntius » Fri May 10, 2024 10:24 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
FIRST OF ALL, it is ABSOLUTELY NOT whataboutism.

If the claim is that the refs aren't calling the game fairly and both teams got away with flops, my point stands as absolutely and completely valid. Unless you belong to the Rick Carlisle school of "it's only a foul when they do it" camp.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but RB34's post is simply that tweet pointing out a bad call. It's not in the wider context that you're claiming it to be. It's simply that. Criticizing a bad call. One can criticize a bad call without subscribing to the idea that the NBA is trying to rig the series for the Knicks or whatever else BS conspiracy theory is out there.

If the above is true and the tweet simply criticized that bad call (like I understood it) then it's definitely whataboutism. It's the definition of it.

When the entire narrative is bad officiating, I think pulling out one call out of the entire game seems to miss the point, especially when it wasn't even late in the game.

Here's a flop by Haliburton during the last 2 minutes that got him 2 free throws.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1788562597702152245%7Ctwgr%5Ee115ca69e23660ce042fe59708f3850a4fb9786a%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2377463

I think, if we're only going to focus on individual calls and not the overall narrative, then we have very little to talk about. I agree that was a flop by Brunson, but that doesn't change the overall narrative of the game and officiating.

I am not the one who posted the tweet that talked about that individual call. I agree that focusing on individual calls doesn't make a ton of sense. I only replied to your post because you brought up Haliburton flopping as a whataboutism. That was my issue here. I don't like whataboutisms :lol:

As for this one, it doesn't look like a flop to me either. Hart clearly goes over his back (which is a foul) and then Haliburton falls because he trips on Achiuwa's left leg.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3003 » by Nuntius » Fri May 10, 2024 10:29 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:I respect you bc u keep it real but u don't think he fell on purpose? and he stayed down after they got the ball back for some reason. He was tryna get a whistle on a 3 pt attempt that's clear as day lol

We can agree to disagree. I think that if we consider this a flop then we're setting the bar for a flop way too low. If that's a flop then half of the shots taken during an NBA game are flops and, well, I simply do not believe that to be the case.

He fell because he was off-balance to begin with. We were trying to get a quick shot off so he went into the shot quickly and never really properly stopped. His momentum carried him to the left which was only exacerbated by double-clutching so he never really had a chance to properly land.

As for staying down, Haliburton has been slow to get up ever since his injury so this doesn't surprise me either. Collecting yourself for a moment after hitting the ground doesn't mean that you're asking for a call either.

I don't see what you see. It looks like he could have landed easily enough, even the announcers say "looking for a foul". He's not so off-balance that he couldn't have landed on his feet.

As I said to KnixtapeH20, we can agree to disagree. With the way his hamstring is right now, putting extra pressure on it by forcing an off-balance landing is dangerous. It can lead to further re-aggravation.

As for the announcers saying that he was looking for a foul, the announcers get stuff wrong all the time. Do you remember earlier in the game when they thought that Brunson was kneed in the groin? It turns out they were wrong. They just made a wrong assumption. Same thing here. They made a wrong assumption.

You can say a lot of things about Haliburton and he definitely deserves criticism for how he played in game 1 but he really doesn't have much history as a flopper. I don't think I've read anyone call him a flopper before so, yeah, those all look like stretches to me.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3004 » by Nuntius » Fri May 10, 2024 10:33 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
FIRST OF ALL, it is ABSOLUTELY NOT whataboutism.

If the claim is that the refs aren't calling the game fairly and both teams got away with flops, my point stands as absolutely and completely valid. Unless you belong to the Rick Carlisle school of "it's only a foul when they do it" camp.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but RB34's post is simply that tweet pointing out a bad call. It's not in the wider context that you're claiming it to be. It's simply that. Criticizing a bad call. One can criticize a bad call without subscribing to the idea that the NBA is trying to rig the series for the Knicks or whatever else BS conspiracy theory is out there.

If the above is true and the tweet simply criticized that bad call (like I understood it) then it's definitely whataboutism. It's the definition of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the story in this thread and in this series is the reffing. (and the Pacer's choking, but . . . lets talk about the reffing).

If I'm criticized for making a counter-example to a video and what the video implies, then what's the point of even having a forum?

Let's just block all replies whenever a post is made. No counter examples allowed.

Yes, some people do talk about the reffing. Not all of them do, though. If you have seen my posts in this and other threads, I do not really talk about that topic all that much. My non-gamethread posts in here are mainly about defending the team I support and its fanbase from random strays. Randomly calling out Haliburton, a player that doesn't have a history of flopping, a flopper is an example of that.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#3005 » by stuporman » Fri May 10, 2024 12:07 pm

These are grown men playing a sport and they professionals because they are getting paid to play it in which they have worked most of their lives to play it and finally get to a point they are playing it in the playoffs.

The Pacers are actually bigger than the Knicks, they have taller and longer players. The Knicks have a 6-4 guy playing SF and even PF at times, looking across the two teams rotations, the Pacers are just bigger. So if the Pacers are getting 'bullied' it's not because the Knicks are abusing an advantage.

They are playing a game but this isn't a playground where some little kid is getting picked on by someone older and/or bigger. It's just silly to use a word that frames it as if the Knicks are doing something wrong to the Pacers even if fans get something out of using it.

I'm also just so sick of hearing about the refs and calls, anyone who is honest sees how it goes back and forth between teams in getting some benefit of the whistle from game to game and, heck, even quarter to quarter and moment to moment.

It's getting real disrespectful to players and teams who have worked so hard for so long to get where they are to have people rage on and on about conspiratorial delusions. It has always been that 'stars' get calls, mostly because it's hard to stop them without contact, that's the nature of sports.

Knicks fans joke about how Thibs regularly says he sends in stuff to the league about calls, it probably amounts to about a handful a game and undoubtedly the league explains why most of them were 'correct'. He's the epitome of basketball curmudgeon so he wants everyone off his lawn.

Although, to suggest there were almost 80 'incorrect' calls over the span of two games where it favors one team but not the other and there is some agenda by the league to favor certain markets over others is laughable and quite pathetic.

There's gamesmanship and then there is just being a poor sport, there's fighting for your players where there may have been some wrong done and then there is trying to gain an unfair advantage because of a public display. I guess we all may have differences where we draw the line between them.

I know the reffing has been pretty bad this season even in the context of history and the shifting enforcement of rules has been frustrating but holy crap folks if you're constantly raging about calls then just go the eff away, stop watching for your own mental health.

Or don't, you can get continually more enraged by calls in a game, I guess.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Spree2Houston
Head Coach
And1: 7,232

Post#3006 » by Spree2Houston » Fri May 10, 2024 2:20 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Pacers are playing the long game by pressing the Knicks up and down the court while playing their bench hoping that NY runs out of gas or falls apart before they can eliminate Indy.

I have to give the Knicks players credit for their endurance and the ability to finish the 4th quarter in games 1 and 2.

So they’re about to win 4 out of 5 now lol
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,429

Post#3007 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri May 10, 2024 2:29 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
When the entire narrative is bad officiating, I think pulling out one call out of the entire game seems to miss the point, especially when it wasn't even late in the game.

Here's a flop by Haliburton during the last 2 minutes that got him 2 free throws.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1788562597702152245%7Ctwgr%5Ee115ca69e23660ce042fe59708f3850a4fb9786a%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2377463

I think, if we're only going to focus on individual calls and not the overall narrative, then we have very little to talk about. I agree that was a flop by Brunson, but that doesn't change the overall narrative of the game and officiating.

I am not the one who posted the tweet that talked about that individual call. I agree that focusing on individual calls doesn't make a ton of sense. I only replied to your post because you brought up Haliburton flopping as a whataboutism. That was my issue here. I don't like whataboutisms :lol:

As for this one, it doesn't look like a flop to me either. Hart clearly goes over his back (which is a foul) and then Haliburton falls because he trips on Achiuwa's left leg.

Rick, is that you?

Hali & Hart are pushing against each other, which is usually not called unless it's egregious. Then, Hali falls down when Hart gets the rebound (his trademark Flop-a-burton), and a whistle is called.
Now it's all about the off-season for my Knicks. (and rooting for Boston to crush Indiana).
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,429

Post#3008 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri May 10, 2024 2:33 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the story in this thread and in this series is the reffing. (and the Pacer's choking, but . . . lets talk about the reffing).

If I'm criticized for making a counter-example to a video and what the video implies, then what's the point of even having a forum?

Let's just block all replies whenever a post is made. No counter examples allowed.

Yes, some people do talk about the reffing. Not all of them do, though. If you have seen my posts in this and other threads, I do not really talk about that topic all that much. My non-gamethread posts in here are mainly about defending the team I support and its fanbase from random strays. Randomly calling out Haliburton, a player that doesn't have a history of flopping, a flopper is an example of that.

Haliburton absolutely has a history of being a flopper. The announcer here even says "he's one of the best floppers in the game". So it's not just me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pacers/comments/18hx9gz/thoughts_on_giannis_knocking_tyrese_haliburton_to/
Now it's all about the off-season for my Knicks. (and rooting for Boston to crush Indiana).
Spree2Houston
Head Coach

Post#3009 » by Spree2Houston » Fri May 10, 2024 2:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Spree2Houston
Head Coach

Post#3010 » by Spree2Houston » Fri May 10, 2024 2:37 pm

Some music for tonight’s game

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,109

Post#3011 » by whatisacenter » Fri May 10, 2024 2:55 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Pacers are playing the long game by pressing the Knicks up and down the court while playing their bench hoping that NY runs out of gas or falls apart before they can eliminate Indy.

I have to give the Knicks players credit for their endurance and the ability to finish the 4th quarter in games 1 and 2.

So they’re about to win 4 out of 5 now lol

I hope so but don't expect them to....you never know.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,618

Post#3012 » by eyeatoma » Fri May 10, 2024 3:01 pm

LMFAO, what the absolute ****?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Spree2Houston
Head Coach

Post#3013 » by Spree2Houston » Fri May 10, 2024 3:15 pm

eyeatoma wrote:LMFAO, what the absolute ****?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Well Pacers did lead the league in fouls committed (1,756) during the regular season. They’re a hacking bunch.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#3014 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 3:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I mean they're not wrong. Remember that jersey tug you flipped about in game 2? Those happen to brunson a dozen times a game without being called.

He's driving even more than he was in the regular season while playing more minutes. Him getting more FTs per game doesn't mean he's getting a better whistle...and even if he was getting a better whistle, that wouldn't mean that there weren't still plenty of missed calls.

...but this is just gamesmanship. Carlisle worked the refs pretty hard to ensure some home-cooking for his boys in these next two games. This Thibs & co. are just trying to put their thumb on the other side of those scales.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM

Post#3015 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 3:32 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Well Pacers did lead the league in fouls committed (1,756) during the regular season. They’re a hacking bunch.

To put that number in some context, the Pacers also played a crazy pace and their defense improved a lot after the lineup change. They were still middling defensively, but if you look at their 2nd half of the season #s they were a lot better than when they were starting Hield & Toppin.

I suspect that even if you just look at #s after they moved Nembhard & Nesmith into the starting lineup / acquired Siakam, and adjusted for pace, they'd still foul more than most teams. But that raw fouls committed #s doesn't tell us how foul-prone the current Pacers typically are.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,508

Post#3016 » by BigShot Bojan » Fri May 10, 2024 4:04 pm

lmao philly fans still salty... Image
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,184

Post#3017 » by Capn'O » Fri May 10, 2024 4:43 pm

3 miles seems light for 48 minutes.

Certainly a lot of sprints in there.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
cgf
RealGM

Post#3018 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 5:17 pm

Capn'O wrote:3 miles seems light for 48 minutes.

That was really surprising to me because average footballers run more than double that...7 miles over 90minutes...and sometimes closer to triple, but it does seem like that is what a ton of running is in the NBA. As Jimmy led the NBA in 2016 running 2.7 miles per game.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,184

Post#3019 » by Capn'O » Fri May 10, 2024 5:22 pm

cgf wrote:

That was really surprising to me because average footballers run more than double that...7 miles over 90minutes...and sometimes closer to triple, but it does seem like that is what a ton of running is in the NBA. As Jimmy led the NBA in 2016 running 2.7 miles per game.

Maybe it's just that in basketball we almost always see _somebody_ moving fast but not everyone actually is.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
cgf
RealGM

Post#3020 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 5:26 pm

Capn'O wrote:
cgf wrote:

Maybe it's just that in basketball we almost always see _somebody_ moving fast but not everyone actually is.

Basketballers do also play a lot more often. Even the biggest stars in world football don't play more than 60-something games a year...70-something if there is a NT tournament over the summer. With a season that starts in early August and ends in late May.

Plus a basketball court is way smaller than a football pitch, so NBAers don't need to cover as much ground just to stay with the play.

Return to The General Board