2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (IND WINS 4-3)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the ECFs?

Knicks
33%
Pacers
67%

Total votes: 110

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,448

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (NYK leads 2-0) 

Post#3021 » by Capn'O » Fri May 10, 2024 5:28 pm

cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
cgf wrote:
That was really surprising to me because average footballers run more than double that...7 miles over 90minutes...and sometimes closer to triple, but it does seem like that is what a ton of running is in the NBA. As Jimmy led the NBA in 2016 running 2.7 miles per game.

Maybe it's just that in basketball we almost always see _somebody_ moving fast but not everyone actually is.

Basketballers do also play a lot more often. Even the biggest stars in world football don't play more than 60-something games a year...70-something if there is a NT tournament over the summer. With a season that starts in early August and ends in late May.

Plus a basketball court is way smaller than a football pitch, so NBAers don't need to cover as much ground just to stay with the play.

Yeah, football pitches are huge. And the games are long. There was a whole to do after Argentina won about how much milling about Messi does relative to other players to gather information and conserve energy in his old age. Then he surprises everyone with quick and decisive attacks.

https://www.newyorker.com/sports/world-cup-2022/the-genius-of-lionel-messi-just-walking-around
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (NYK leads 2-0) 

Post#3022 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 5:34 pm

Capn'O wrote:
cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Maybe it's just that in basketball we almost always see _somebody_ moving fast but not everyone actually is.

Basketballers do also play a lot more often. Even the biggest stars in world football don't play more than 60-something games a year...70-something if there is a NT tournament over the summer. With a season that starts in early August and ends in late May.

Plus a basketball court is way smaller than a football pitch, so NBAers don't need to cover as much ground just to stay with the play.

Yeah, football pitches are huge. And the games are long. There was a whole to do after Argentina won about how much milling about Messi does relative to other players to conserve energy in his old age. Then he surprises everyone with quick and decisive attacks.

Yeah. One of my favorite players, Max Kruse, recently came out of retirement to play for a lower division team and the pics of how much weight he put on after just 9 months of no longer running a marathon or two a week went viral lol.

Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
FOB
Ballboy
And1: 125

Post#3023 » by FOB » Fri May 10, 2024 5:52 pm

cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
cgf wrote:

Yeah, football pitches are huge. And the games are long. There was a whole to do after Argentina won about how much milling about Messi does relative to other players to conserve energy in his old age. Then he surprises everyone with quick and decisive attacks.

Yeah. One of my favorite players, Max Kruse, recently came out of retirement to play for a lower division team and the pics of how much weight he put on after just 9 months of no longer running a marathon or two a week went viral lol.

Yeah...pretty OT but just wanted to jump in quick and say that the way the media positioned that picture is pretty disingenuous and sensationalist. He's certainly not as lean as he used to be but nowhere near what the above picture would suggest: https://www.imago-images.com/offers/622325/Sports/Football/Football,-Kreisliga-A,-BSV-Al-Dersimspor,-Training-with-Max-Kruse-?db=sport

Anyways, back to topic. Excited for the games tonight!
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 18,106

Post#3024 » by Im Coming Home » Fri May 10, 2024 5:57 pm

eyeatoma wrote:LMFAO, what the absolute ****?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So he should be getting even more calls, thanks for clearing that up.

He is literally fouled almost everytime he brings the ball up the court, and on inbounds they're grabbing his jersey a ton(which you as a Sixers fan cried about it happening to Maxey in game 2) so keep the same energy buddy.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 18,106

Post#3025 » by Im Coming Home » Fri May 10, 2024 5:59 pm

cgf wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:LMFAO, what the absolute ****?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Well Pacers did lead the league in fouls committed (1,756) during the regular season. They’re a hacking bunch.

To put that number in some context, the Pacers also played a crazy pace and their defense improved a lot after the lineup change. They were still middling defensively, but if you look at their 2nd half of the season #s they were a lot better than when they were starting Hield & Toppin.

I suspect that even if you just look at #s after they moved Nembhard & Nesmith into the starting lineup / acquired Siakam, and adjusted for pace, they'd still foul more than most teams. But that raw fouls committed #s doesn't tell us how foul-prone the current Pacers typically are.

Read on Twitter
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,557

Post#3026 » by Zenzibar » Fri May 10, 2024 6:01 pm

Ton of pressure on Carlisle and the Pacers tonight, especially with the majority of the Knicks' starters out.

If Brunson and the Nova Knicks are close in the 2nd half, oh boy.

Pacer's anxiety level in the 4th.

Stop All Genocides
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Post#3027 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 6:02 pm

FOB wrote:
cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Yeah...pretty OT but just wanted to jump in quick and say that the way the media positioned that picture is pretty disingenuous and sensationalist. He's certainly not as lean as he used to be but nowhere near what the above picture would suggest: https://www.imago-images.com/offers/622325/Sports/Football/Football,-Kreisliga-A,-BSV-Al-Dersimspor,-Training-with-Max-Kruse-?db=sport

Anyways, back to topic. Excited for the games tonight!

Oh it was definitely a very unfavorable angle...but a lot of footballers plump up as soon as they're no longer burning as crazy a number of calories as they do during their playing days, because they do do an unreal amount of running during their careers.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,525

Post#3028 » by blueNorange » Fri May 10, 2024 6:16 pm

nba fined carlisle and basically told him to stop crying :laugh:
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,459

Post#3029 » by Knicks Byke » Fri May 10, 2024 6:51 pm

Crylisle :lol:

If we lose they gonna say the fine was worth it.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,530

Post#3030 » by Tron Carter » Fri May 10, 2024 6:57 pm

Read on Twitter
R.I.P Black Mamba
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (NYK leads 1-0) 

Post#3031 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:01 pm

cgf wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:As a Pacer fan that’s watched a high percentage of their games this year I’m fully prepared for them to get run out of the building tonight. Knicks -5 is locked in. I don’t see them having the maturity to bounce back from a tough loss. Hope I’m wrong…. Don’t see this one being a game.

I get why you feel this way...but this team has been growing up before our eyes. You're not soft like the 6ers were, so I don't expect you to roll over like they started to.

I think injuries are gonna be a big factor, now the knicks have lost Robinson, and OG is out for at least game 3. The Knicks are getting a little thin. But Brunson is the straw that stirs the drink so to speak, I loved that guy coming in to the NBA is 2018.

I don't know how this is gonna play out. But if the Pacers can resign Pascal Siakam and continue to grow up as you said, they'll be force next season. May the Force be with them. :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,400

Post#3032 » by G R E Y » Fri May 10, 2024 7:02 pm

Not sure if posted already, don't have time to check. Enjoy:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#3033 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:15 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Ton of pressure on Carlisle and the Pacers tonight, especially with the majority of the Knicks' starters out.

If Brunson and the Nova Knicks are close in the 2nd half, oh boy.

Pacer's anxiety level in the 4th.

The Knicks have done a great job of making something out of players who were quite simply cast off by other teams, Hartenstien for example, he dropped to the 2nd round and was going no where fast with the Rockets, then went to Denver, Clev, and LAC before coming to the Knicks. Josh Hart was kind of a throw in from LAL to the Pels in the AD deal, then to Portland, then to the Knicks more as salary filler it seemed. And then Dante D, he bounced from the Bucks to the Kings, then GSW before blooming with the Knicks.

So it's a tribute to the Knicks to reclaim guys like this I'd say it is the coach Tom Thibodeau.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#3034 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:20 pm

G R E Y wrote:Not sure if posted already, don't have time to check. Enjoy:

Read on Twitter

How does a guy like that slip into the 2nd round? Indiana took Aaron Holiday at 23 in 2018, he's not terrible but never gonna be a star. I was wanting Brunson, I just don't see how the Pacers passed him up and took Holiday. But I'm not a professional scout I'm just a guy on RealGM. And hindsite is 20/20 but I was yelling at my TV when this happened. :noway:
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,530

Post#3035 » by Tron Carter » Fri May 10, 2024 7:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=BD-Y4LvJDrx1RCezv77w1A
R.I.P Black Mamba
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,502

Post#3036 » by Nuntius » Fri May 10, 2024 8:31 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
When the entire narrative is bad officiating, I think pulling out one call out of the entire game seems to miss the point, especially when it wasn't even late in the game.

Here's a flop by Haliburton during the last 2 minutes that got him 2 free throws.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1788562597702152245%7Ctwgr%5Ee115ca69e23660ce042fe59708f3850a4fb9786a%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2377463

I think, if we're only going to focus on individual calls and not the overall narrative, then we have very little to talk about. I agree that was a flop by Brunson, but that doesn't change the overall narrative of the game and officiating.

I am not the one who posted the tweet that talked about that individual call. I agree that focusing on individual calls doesn't make a ton of sense. I only replied to your post because you brought up Haliburton flopping as a whataboutism. That was my issue here. I don't like whataboutisms :lol:

As for this one, it doesn't look like a flop to me either. Hart clearly goes over his back (which is a foul) and then Haliburton falls because he trips on Achiuwa's left leg.

Rick, is that you?

Hali & Hart are pushing against each other, which is usually not called unless it's egregious. Then, Hali falls down when Hart gets the rebound (his trademark Flop-a-burton), and a whistle is called.

Hali has established legal rebounding position (ie, he's blocking out) and Hart goes directly over his back to get the board. That is a foul.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3037 » by Nuntius » Fri May 10, 2024 8:40 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the story in this thread and in this series is the reffing. (and the Pacer's choking, but . . . lets talk about the reffing).

If I'm criticized for making a counter-example to a video and what the video implies, then what's the point of even having a forum?

Let's just block all replies whenever a post is made. No counter examples allowed.

Yes, some people do talk about the reffing. Not all of them do, though. If you have seen my posts in this and other threads, I do not really talk about that topic all that much. My non-gamethread posts in here are mainly about defending the team I support and its fanbase from random strays. Randomly calling out Haliburton, a player that doesn't have a history of flopping, a flopper is an example of that.

Haliburton absolutely has a history of being a flopper. The announcer here even says "he's one of the best floppers in the game". So it's not just me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pacers/comments/18hx9gz/thoughts_on_giannis_knocking_tyrese_haliburton_to/

I do not remember that particular play, to be honest. But thank you for bringing it to my attention. And, sure, I will readily admit that Hali exaggerates contact here. So, if you want to count it as a flop, so be it (personally, I side with another Knicks fan who said during the last game that for him, at least, a flop isn't when a player exaggerates contact but when he invents contact that didn't take place at all but that's splitting hairs).

Still, though, I'm not impressed. A singular incident where a player exaggerates contact doesn't make him a flopper. Is DiVincenzo a well-known flopper because he flopped in game 1 to get the offensive foul on Turner? Is Josh Hart a well-known flopper for this flop against Embiid?

We have to be consistent here. Either all 3 of them are "well-known floppers" or no one is. If you want to consider them floppers, be my guest.

Personally, I do not consider any of these 3 to be well-known floppers. When I think of well-known floppers I think of habitual ones like CP3, Harden and Embiid. I do not think of players who only have an occasional flop here or there. But that's just me. You are free to have a different opinion.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,445

Post#3038 » by DaGawd » Fri May 10, 2024 8:42 pm

Read on Twitter

damn the athleticism on that first play :o
BaF
Washington Wizards
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3039 » by Nuntius » Fri May 10, 2024 8:58 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:

Read on Twitter

How does a guy like that slip into the 2nd round? Indiana took Aaron Holiday at 23 in 2018, he's not terrible but never gonna be a star. I was wanting Brunson, I just don't see how the Pacers passed him up and took Holiday. But I'm not a professional scout I'm just a guy on RealGM. And hindsite is 20/20 but I was yelling at my TV when this happened. :noway:

The US doesn't really put any stock into the World Cup (be it the youth versions or the men's version).
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,492

Post#3040 » by Woodsanity » Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:
Read on Twitter

Bottom line is the Pacers are undisciplined on defense and one of the worst defensive teams in the league. They don't know how to play defense without hacking.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:

Return to The General Board